Skip to content

Downtime

edited June 2018 in Not Football

Heads up all, there'll be approx 2 hours downtime on Wednesday evening for network upgrades. Might be shorter, might be longer.

Comments

• that'll be the first 2 hour window in recent years that will pass without DevC pointing out that our current and projected finishing league position are above reasonable expectations given our budget.

However will we cope?

• Good headline but Wednesday is the 22nd! Thank you for the head's up though.

• I shall spend the time wisely

• It was shorter.

• There may be more downtime this evening. The hosting company are complaining about the amount of resources we're using some I'm going to try and optimise a little.

• Perhaps a good start would be banning trevor, dicky and that other glue eater whose name escapes me.

• Funnily enough, "glue eater" was enough for me to work it out.

• Sadly and predictably, not enough for me. Go on, give us a glue.

• Frustration compounded by text on Gasroom having become minuscule on my already tiny IPhone.

• That appears to have gone OK. It's added a couple of new features too, like the post formatting buttons above the comment box and the ability to see who started a thread on the main discussions list - say goodbye to all those times you've clicked an interesting looking thread only to discover it was started by one of our resident dribblers.

• You can now also hit a thumbs up or thumbs down for comment approval or disapproval. If a comment gets enough downvotes, it gets deleted automatically. Probably.

• edited June 2018

Maybe hasn't quite gone as smoothly as I'd hoped, looks like there's an error with new signups. Working on a fix.

• Fixed. Everything should be back to normal.

• Thumbs up/thumbs down? Really?
    Are people not capable of expressing their approval or disapproval (if they choose to) in words rather than a simplistic symbol. Are we too to be dumbed down to that extent?

• @DevC said:
    Thumbs up/thumbs down? Really?
    Are people not capable of expressing their approval or disapproval (if they choose to) in words rather than a simplistic symbol. Are we too to be dumbed down to that extent?

Getting nervous about that auto-delete function?

• Looks like the quote function is working on desktops too. I could only use that on iOS before. Top work @drcongo.

• I am trusting, Arnos, that "auto-delete" was a joke!

Sadly in our increasing social media echo chamber world, it is far from incredible to believe that minority or unpopular views may one day simply be deleted. What a sad world.

• @DevC said:
    Thumbs up/thumbs down? Really?

Some may not have all day to compose long drawn out posts and bore everyone to tears in the process @DevC. Much simpler & quicker particularly if viewing from a mobile.

• I agree with Dev!

• Shit maybe I've got it wrong...............

• Feel free to never use them. Personally I like it, as sometimes someone will post a particularly good pun and I'd like to express some appreciation for the effort without breaking the pun run.

• If I were to comment on the new(ish) features, I would say that I hate the quote function. Whatever you think about people's longer posts, repeating them in full seems to me to add little and sometimes makes a thread tedious to read in the extreme, particularly on a phone

• I do like the relative simplicity and tidiness of the Gasroom compared to a lot of other forums. Please never introduce emojis.

• bit of a pain if I'm honest. Going to take me ages to go through and retrospectively give a thumbs up to every post I've ever made

• Might keep trev and richie busy for a while though @eric_plant

• @OakwoodExile said:
    I would say that I hate the quote function.

It's not too bad if you edit the quote down to the essential point. Useful when responding to something that was said a while ago.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Might keep trev and richie busy for a while though @eric_plant

That would assume Trev and Richie know what thumbs are. Evolution might not have been kind to them.

• @arnos_grove Completely agree. The trouble is, people don't and quote the entire screed in full

• @OakwoodExile hopefully they will watch and learn. Simple rule, never quote one of our more verbose posters without making an edit.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

That would assume Trev and Richie know what thumbs are. Evolution might not have been kind to them.

I was totally with the @DevC view on this until I read this and changed my mind. A thumbs up if ever I saw one