Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

& My apologies for no Blackpool match day thread on Saturday I lost my internet connection for a few days.

Comments

• Please, no need to apologise. It's great that you do what you do for us.

• Wycombe Wanderers v Plymouth Argyle under the lights at Adams Park! Live commentary with me & Scotty will be on BBC3CR DAB and Chairboys Player

• @bse we will win tonight now. Well done.

• First glance at that midfield three, it looks like we might see O'Nien playing attacking midfield today. Fantastic if so, will give him a real opportunity to show what he can do. Alternatively GA might just be taking a lesson from Mourinho yesterday and be playing with three holding midfielders!

• Id love it if we beat them tonight.....
    Normally i hate pur time wasting, but i hope we get under that scottish looking mr bean

• beans skin

• 1-0 Myles Weston.

• O'NIEN playing like we no he can superb

• 2nd half showing as poor as the 1st half was good.

45 minutes of forgetting how to play football and shear panic.

• I don't like to single out a poor performing player as the 2nd half we were forced into a lot of errors BUT PCH was terrible. Lucky not to be sent off by petulantly kicking the ball away as well.

• Thought Weston had a great game every time he got it out wide took on his man and got decent crosses in hopefully that will continue. Think everyone's assessment is the same 1st half we played football... it worked and 2nd half we changed tactics to hoofball which did not work

• I'm afraid Max Muller looks a long way of lge 2 standard, some awful misjudgements of situations and painfully slow. And to be hauled off when your defending a corner,was certainly unusual but not unwelcome.

• Fair result in the end, we were the better team first half but they pushed us back in the second.

Disappointed with the actions of Luke McCormick tonight. Adams and Plymouth have received some bad press for their recent ballboy histrionics so not sure why he felt the need to comment but at the start of the second half he clearly made a provocative remark towards our teenage ballboy near the corner flag who was sat on his stool making no effort to collect the ball. Didn't hear what was actually said as I wasn't close enough but can't imagine it was too pleasant and you'd like to hope he regrets it.

Good effort from their fans though, over 650 for such a long midweek trip deserves credit.

• Well, well. I thought we were awful on Saturday but not sure what on earth they were playing at second half tonight.
    From being in control, we opted to sit back and defend rather than go for the kill. Only our four obvious tactics were sit back and invite pressure, pass the ball straight to one of their players, hoof the ball to Bayo, kick it into touch under no pressure at all.
    I really think we need to leave Bayo on the bench for a game or two. Not because he is playing badly, quite the opposite he's our player of the season by a mile. But it will help the players realise we need to establish other attacking tactics.

• Fair result, although we had chances in the first half, Argyle controlled the game for the entire 90 minutes.

The decision to give Bean MOM was absolutely laughable. I'm guessing he made 2 passes that found a Wycombe player. There has never been a man I've noticed who is less deserving of a place in a Quartered Shirt. He was atrocious today.

• Wouldn't say he was atrocious but he did gradually get worse through the game maybe tiring as played Saturday as well Weston mom for me

• I'm with na104 on that. Thought he did a job for the first hour, and with Gape and O'Nien ran the show even, bizarrely, in the air in the first half. Then, as Plymouth upped it, they all disappeared. Totally agree he was nowhere near MoM, though! Weston and O'Nien would have been my top two tonight.

I'm getting frustrated with the number of free kicks we are giving away. Thought the ref was very solid today and wouldn't criticise his decision-making. We keep giving away cheap free kicks by getting the wrong side of players and then making poorly considered, often unnecessary challenges. It seemed to me that a fairly big part of conceding the initiative in the second half came from a long string of free kicks that led to a string of corners. It's not the first game that that's been so recently.

Meanwhile, really good save by their keeper from DeHavilland's clever backheel: I was dead in line with it and it looked like it was in. And there was never a freer header in the history of League 2 than Gape's early in the second half. That was the game right there.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We played reasonably well I thought against a good Plymouth side. They seemed to have real game changing options from the bench that ultimately got them back into it. Am I right in thinking De Havilland came on at a corner to try and deal with beanpole striker, only for him to immediately score the looping header?

Can't pick out too many exceptional or under par displays. Good to see Harriman and Weston giving us some width first half. But equally frustrating to see us lose confidence in our passing ability a bit in the second. I'm not opponent of route one and I'd almost say at this level it is impossible to succeed as an out and out passing side (the only examples I can think of recently being Burton and Northampton). But at times we become far too predictable.

Muller did ok in my view. I think he could make a decent league two centre half with more experience. Must cut out the errors though. Another missed interception tonight nearly cost us. Can't see why people are hammering Bean. He breaks up play better than any of our other midfielders. Southwell puts in a decent shift but is never going to get goals as part of a 4-3-3 like last night.

• To an extent I disagree about the general criticism of Muller. I thought he looked quite assured first half. Second half every player's performances dropped. I think WDH was brought on specifically to deal with Blissit.
    The last 15 - 20 minutes was a complete shambles to be fair. Shape completely gone. Reliable players such as JJ resorting to great punts going straight out, bookings, silly fouls, it really did go to rat shit and I was thrilled with a point come the final whistle.
    As with Saturday GA's subs had a negative impact on the team. I can see Sam Saunders deciding to focus on his fashion career if he is reduced to 3 minutes of running around chasing long punts in the 4th division. Who could blame him. Its like towing a caravan with Bentley.

• WDH came on after the goal.

• @chris did I say otherwise?

• Through no fault of his own Bayo became a magnet for his teammates when they were put under pressure looking for passes went out of the window to be replaced by let's launch the ball in the general direction of the big man which ended up with the ball coming back almost as fast as it was played out .
    I'm too old for counting the minutes down praying for a point

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub No, the previous poster did though.

@Glenactico I think you can play a good passing game at this level but you need a big budget or suicidal spending. We don't have the former and I'd rather we played direct than did the latter.

Oxford played good passing football last season with Appleton and got out the league, but they spent very big and it could all have gone horribly wrong if they hadn't of gone up and sold a few players for decent sums.

• At least Muller tries to find a blue shirt. WDH gives the ball away every time

• I thought Muller did ok but just got dizzy being spun around by their striker in the early second half. More seriously I think he was feeling the effects of two games close together and taking him off saved him from either an injury or a clanger that might affect his confidence. I wouldn't read anything in to it more than that.

Our attacking substitutes were dissapointing again though weren't they? Paris snarled alot but did very little and I still don't understand why Saunders is bought on with five mins to go in a backs to the wall operation. I'd have thought that his injury record is going to be added by getting the last five mins only.
    At least WDH shorred up a creaking defence late on.

• I think Muller has been very poor in the last two games. Error prone, poor in the air and incredibly slow.

He does read situations fairly well, but still doesn't defend them well.

I'm hoping it's just experience and this run of games will help. His willingness to take the ball to feet and try to do something with it is refreshing, but I'm nervous whenever he's near the ball.

• I suppose football is all about opinions but @chapmanio , you really have gone so far away from my view of Max Muller it is unbelievable. This black or white, awful or brilliant mentality just shows a lack of ability to debate.
    Muller has done ok in the last two games but is some way below the brilliant centre backs we have as first choice. I don't think that makes him very poor, error prone, poor in the air or incredibly slow.
    For me his one achilles heel is a lack of mobility in a tight circle. He can play at a decent level without it and hopefully he'll get better as he gets fitter.

• They were far the better side and improved as the game wore on, so I was pleased to end up with a point, although three would have been nice. If we had converted a couple more of the first half chances it's a different game. I thought Muller and AP did as well as any of the other defenders and midfielders dealing with Argyle pace, and Beano had his best game for ages for 60 minutesbut then needed to come off in my opinion. Gape and Luke played well also. (Though Weston was my man of the match and I was disappointed to see HIM come off!) Southwell obviously needs to play through the middle so I would swop him with Bayo at some point in a game rather than starting him on the wing. I think PCH, Bayo, Weston would make a cracking front three but poor old Dayle is labouring. As usual with Sir Gaz subs should have come on earlier. What's the point of five minutes for Saunders? If he's not fit...don;t play him...if he is get him on as soon as is helpful! It's shame after than excellent save from Jamal that we could not defend the resulting corner! Set-pieces have become a sore point for us this season.
    Oh well...we go again...

• I'm not sure how "very poor" compared to "done ok" qualifies as "so far away from my view of Max Muller it is unbelievable"! That's quite an over-reaction @Right_in_the_Middle.

In my opinion Max Muller was very poor in the last two games. Maybe I am less forgiving than you? Or my standards are higher? Either-way I feel uncomfortable when he's near the ball, which was encapsulated with the penalty against Blackpool.

Yes, there is a clear difference in quality compared to Stewart and Pierre, but I don't see that as justification for how he performed in the last two games?

I have already said that I hope this run of games will improve things, but so far I feel he needs to improve a lot to justify the second year on his contract. There are parts of his play that suggest he could, and I hope he does.