Skip to content

Future of the EFL / Checkatrade Trophy

Comments

• @micra said:
    You been on the sherbet Morris?!

Lol I actually make more sense two pints in or at least I think I do. Did you sort your computer problem out.

• It's the iPhone Morris. "Keyboard " covers comment box so I'm typing blind. Hate it.

• Try flicking towards the top of the phone across the top of the button on the front sometimes my screen drops and that seems to sort it

• Does the top part of the screen scroll up when you flick it?

The only way I can get the text to dissapear on my iPhone is to scroll the text box down below the keyboard.

• Pulling the thread back to topic in hand..............

Future of the Checkatrade. Somewhat to my surprise I find myself saying leave it as it is (assuming the funding stays the same). I cant honestly say I would bother to go to watch the early rounds even if I lived locally (or probably even if WWFC unexpectedly switched the tie to the pitch over my garden hedge) but I don't lose anything by choosing not to attend a game. It brings in a few quid, gives squad players a chance to play a competitive game or two. Possibly can have a negative affect on league form if a small club has an extended run in both it and the FA cup, but that will not happen very often. Leave it as is. League Cup? don't see the point.

• At least Morris and Righty have offered suggestions (sadly unsuccessful) on how to resolve a very frustrating issue with my iPhone Dev. It only happens with the Gasroom and I may not be alone in experiencing it. I don't bother much with the laptop these days but have had to revert to it to post on here. I shall not be contributing as much as usual which will be a relief to some, I'm sure.

• What iPhone do you have micra mines a 6 if I can replicate the fault on mine perhaps I can suggest a solution

• I must admit I don't have that problem @micra Admittedly I've a 6+ (my eyes) but I can just touch and scroll the screen above the keyboard to wherever I like.

Have you accidentally locked something on the control panel (or whatever it is you can drag up)?

• In my experience find the nearest teenager, show him the phone and problem, he will fix your problem in approx. 30 seconds with a condescending smile, a gentle pat on the head and a warning that it might be a bit nippy outside.

• Trouble is Dev I can't reach their heads now! Just going to check Morristown which model my phone is.

• On laptop now. Bliss. The iPhone is an Apple 5S Morris. Scrolling isn't a problem and I can see what I'm typing on all other applications that I've used over the past couple of days. Grateful for suggestions (including Dev's non-technical but entirely realistic one!)
    I can get to the EE shop sooner than the nearest teenager - my grandson in Stoke Mandeville. Think I'll shut up shop for the night. Not much happening on Gasroom. Good night.

• Below taken from an interview Shaun Harvey gave to the BBC - looks like it mean B Teams in EFL idea is dead - for the moment anyway.

In January, Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola said English football would benefit from allowing the reserve teams of major clubs to compete in the Championship. A similar system applies in Spain, where B teams can be promoted as far as the league below their senior team. In 2016-17, no Spanish B team is higher than the third tier.
    The concept has been resisted in England.
    In July 2016, Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said it would never happen.
    Harvey agrees, and now also dismisses the notion of Scotland's Old Firm, Celtic and Rangers, being invited into English football, an idea that was floated when the subsequently scrapped 'Whole Game Solution' was launched in May 2016. Asked if B teams or Celtic and Rangers will ever form part of the English pyramid, he said: "As it stands, no. "The clubs who are the key to the 92 club professional structure make their views clear each time this conversation is mooted.
    "They want sovereign clubs playing inside our competition. "Whilst ever that is the case, it will never change."

(The full article is here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39472727)

• So basically clubs would have to vote it in. Which they'd be fairly stupid to do so.

• Anyway, if Sturgeon gets her way, won't Scotish teams need a passport to venture south of the wall?

• As Scotland won't even co-operate in raising a team to play in he Olympics it is impossible to believe that any of their clubs would be allowed to join an English league. It's not worth talking about.

• Decision day today I understand.

So whats the verdict,
    1) scrap
    2) retain
    3) change (if so how)

Think I would vote 2).

• Scrap. Why do we need more football in an overcrowded fixture list.

• Scrap for me too. Bet they don't though.

• Keep but scrap the League cup.

• edited April 2017

They should scrap it, but then they would lose sponsorship deals. So it will be kept, either in its previous uninspiring format, as this season's enraging one has been ruled out.

• I would retain but make it only open to League One, League Two and Conference teams, but as has been said...doubt that would excite the sponsors.

• I think including Conference teams would excite fans quite a lot but certainly not sponsors.

• Hasn't adding Conference sides been done before? Don't remember it being that exciting.
    I still think it should be played on training grounds on Wednesday afternoons with no crowd.

• Been there, done that, Bill. It didn't.

Three benefits of the trophy as is
    1) gives lower league clubs a second route to Wembley
    2) gives fringe players a game
    3) premier league teams give lower league teams shed loads of money

Disadvantages
    1) slippery slope (not sure this is real)
    2) fans not interested until final - twas ever thus

I agree with mooney. Keep this, ditch the league cup which offers few if any benefits.

• You can jazz it up and pay as much sponsorship money in the world to try and make it attractive but it wont work. Its hard enough for clubs in the FAC and league cup to try and generate support in these modern times. Fans don't want it and this is the Chairman of Oxford Utd view:

DARRYL Eales will be arguing against continuing the Checkatrade Trophy format, urging EFL clubs to listen to supporters when they meet to discuss the competition today.

Oxford United were among a majority of clubs who voted in favour of the one-season pilot last summer.

The experiment brought in a group stage and controversially expanded it from 48 to 64 teams by inviting under 23 teams from clubs with Category One academies.

It prompted a section of supporters to boycott the competition, with some even choosing to miss United’s trip to the final earlier this month.

Despite the U’s benefitting more than most by reaching Wembley, where they lost 2-1 to Coventry City, Eales, while praising the increase in sponsorship which came with the changes, believes overall it was a mistake.

And the U’s chairman intends to make that clear when clubs meet in Walsall today to discuss the options for next season.

He said: “Checkatrade’s sponsorship has been incredible, and I don’t know whether that level is linked to under 23 teams or not.

“Whatever the linkage, my personal view is categorical – I think it was a one-year experiment and we shouldn’t do it again.

“We should listen to the fans on this one.

“It is causing division among fans who normally agree.”

The EFL have asked for clubs to outline their positions ahead of the meeting.

Following the discussion a plan will be drawn up, which will be voted on at the EFL’s AGM this summer.

Eales is unsure how the debate will go.

He said: “I suspect the strength of feeling is greater at Oxford than a lot of other clubs, but I don’t know.

“Luton’s gate against us in the semi-final (6,901) was certainly lower than you might have expected.

“We’ve just got to wait and see, but fans can be reassured we won’t be voting for the continuation of the experiment.”

While the fans’ boycott in protest at the under 23 sides contributed to two of United’s ten lowest gates of all time, plus the smallest gate for a derby with Swindon Town, Eales objects on different grounds.

He said: “It’s not just to do with under 23 teams, there’s also too many games in this year’s competition.

“Expanding the competition was a mistake for League One and League Two sides who are playing 46 league games and don’t get international weeks off.

“Throwing some more games in seems daft to me.”

• What about something reminiscent of the Anglo-Italian cup?

Regionalised first and second knock-out round, nationalised third and fourth rounds, semi-final and final against second tier teams from a nearby European country such as France or Germany.

• The money side was very much well received.

The B teams was a guff of an idea. As was the tonne of games required.

They've tried all manner of things. Round robin stages, non league clubs coming in, straight knock out.

I'd probably do some sort of link versus the league cup.
    Anyone who gets knocked out of the league cup before round xxx plays in this one.

That'd cut the games down a bit.
    Obviously no B teams though.
    And keep the extra money aspect.

The international sides coming in late on would be interesting. Though massively more costly for clubs and teams.

• The extra money aspect only exists if you include the U23 teams. Without it no money - its a choice.

Loads of games? - two extra played primarily by fringe players - hardly onerous surely. Dump the league cup and that reduces to one.

Be interesting to see what comes out of today, but surely only realistic options are broadly the same or stop altogether.

• It's not just an opportunity to field fringe players though - as the fines meted out to Luton, Pompey et al proved.

• Maybe that is a detail that should be changed.