Skip to content

Match Report: Colchester

2»

Comments

• Two years at that age isn't a massive difference considering the timescales of a goalkeepers career - they can still be playing at a top level in their late thirties.

Wouldn't you expect a goalkeeper playing in League 2 to be making more mistakes than a goalkeeper in the Premier League?

If you're simply saying that De Gea is (by a distance) a better goalkeeper than Blackman then I doubt many would disagree with you.

It would surprise me if Blackman isn't the current member of our squad who goes on to have the most successful career. He's not quite Tom Heaton but he's got the potential to be a great player.

• I would suggest that it is more difficult for a goalkeeper to play behind a Wycombe defence than it is to play behind the current Chelsea defence.

• @clifty04 said:
    Many thanks Cyclops.
    Just to clarify my stance on Blackman, who admittedly I may've been over critical of.
    He has a lot of strength's, and will play at a higher level (somebody saying he'll play for England is absolutely hilarious mind you). He does generally command crosses well, but has come and missed/flapped at a fair few too. He has also made some world class saves, 2 at Cambridge stand out in particular.
    Scott Brown on the other hand has played nearly his whole career in League Two for a reason. And is unlikely to make some of the world class saves that Jamal has. However, he's a consistent, reliable, solid League 2 keeper.
    Blackman is almost making a howler a game in recent weeks, and they're costing us goals. The only game we've won since Spurs was very fortunate, as Carl Baker missed an open goal following another Blackman horror show. I don't believe Scott Brown would make these regular, and costly errors.
    He wasn't solely at fault for the Elokobi goal on Tuesday, however as eric_plant interestingly also mentioned, people at the game think he was positioned poorly and the TV angle doesn't do it justice. On TV replays, it looks a wonder goal.
    Maybe it's time to cut back on my Blackman abuse, and yes he's young and learning etc. But his learning is affecting some of our results, in my opinion. My 'opinion' (and a lot of others now) being the key thing.

Let's see if my prediction of him. Playing for England is hilarious In the future

• He's a decent keeper but I'd be surprised if he ever even makes the Premier League to honest.

• Oh yes let's blame the goalkeeper for everything that happens on the pitch ( only bad moments of course) don't put any blame on the defence who are also expected to help keep the ball and apposing players at bay don't blame the midfield for not moving the ball forward and certainly don't blame the forwards for not actually knowing where the goal is! I think JB is doing a great job in as it seems a no win situation regarding the fans.

• @brittanywander Well said, it is a team game and a missed goal has the same effect as a poor pass from a goalkeeper, but goalkeeping errors seem to have a greater reaction to some fans, especially those who think that "their team" should win every match. Let's get behind the team today and help them to start another winning run. COYB,s

• Time to look at Jamal Blackmans twitter.
    True, I'm not a blackman fan, and I don't agree with people mentioning him on twitter like people have. That's unnecessary and not helping.
    However, his tweet saying "going back end of season so what now" is unprofessional and bang out of order. Basically saying you're stuck with me so deal with it.
    He also recently tweeted "I learn from my mistakes. This is a learning curve". Proves he doesn't care if we win, lose or draw. Proves he's hear to learn and doesn't give 2 f***s about Wycombe Wanderers.

The first goal was a corner today. And it wasn't a corner if Blackman cleared it like he should've....

• I can't parse the first tweet out of context, but the second one sounds entirely reasonable and true?

• @clifty04
    Your vendetta against Blackman is vicious, uncalled for and way beyond the role of a Wycombe Wanderers fan. I've read the tweets and don't agree with your review of them.
    I don't agree with your hatred towards a decent young man. I've had enough of it.

• The only thing it "proves" @clifty04 is your immaturity.

• Wycombe fans are vermin

• He has made mistakes, no doubt about that, but he seems to be blamed for every goal at the moment, which is ridiculous. I'm not sure if it was a corner or not today (didn't look it to me), but it was an awful throw from Sido, to put him under pressure. And there wasn't much he could do about the goal itself, which was dreadful really from PCH putting a header into his own net. Poor from the fans to put all the blame on Blackman.

• It was probably @clifty04 that sent the original tweet to Jamal!

• It wasn't.

• @clifty04 said:
    Time to look at Jamal Blackmans twitter.
    He also recently tweeted "I learn from my mistakes. This is a learning curve". Proves he doesn't care if we win, lose or draw. Proves he's hear to learn and doesn't give 2 f***s about Wycombe Wanderers.

How exactly does it prove that? I think it's possible to learn without disrespecting Wycombe Wanderers.

I guess you'd prefer him to tweet 'I've learned nothing at all here but now have a huge Wycombe tattoo on my arse cheek'.

He'd be a legend then.

• @eric_plant said:
    Wycombe fans are vermin

Slightly sweeping!

• I'm actually quite annoyed about the disrespect Jamal is is constantly getting from Adam and his entourage. yesterday there were idiotic shouts about bringing Brown back. I've only seen Brown play twice and I wasn't that impressed,he was at fault for the Newport goal not much said about that. Sido was more at fault yesterday with a throw in that put Jamal under pressure. Yes he has made mistakes tell me a keeper that doesn't. During our 16 game unbeaten run which now seems an age ago Jamal made more than a few good saves to keep that run going , who's to say Brown would have been any better. Message to those behind the goal ,get behind your team and support them we have Jamal till the end of the season what's the point of slagging him off and knocking his confidence? Also I thought Harriman had a good game he's another quality player the idiot army still have a dig at

• The only surprise regarding some wycombe fans abuse of Blackman is that no ones called him lazy yet.