Skip to content

Alfie Mawson

So .... if wet get promoted which now looks a pretty good bet will you all hate Alfie Mawson when he signs for another League 1 club and not us next season ?? Its clear he won't be renewing his contract at Brentford and will be moving elsewhere.

Comments

• league one i think if he goes it will be championship at least

• maybe you don't realise how good a player you need to be to play in the championship, he isn't yet ready for that.

• Alfie Mawson has a responsibility to further his careeer as he sees fit. I am sure all would love him to come to WWFC but if he chooses to go elsewhere, surely all would say"thanks and good luck".

Dont forget that his situation is not quite as simple as you suggest. Due to his age, Brentford will retain a financial interest and he can only move with their consent or via a tribunal. Lets hope he doesnt get caught in a Anthony Stewat style mess.

• If released like Pierre we'd be able to sign him on a free.
    They need to offer him a contact of at least the same value as he is currently on to be due any compensation.

• Pierre wasn't released. Strange though it may seem we offered him a better deal and more importantly first team football.

• Likelihood Alfie signs an improved contract with Brentford, with various clauses and if we do get promotion, again on loan to us as we can provide 1st team football. Ainsworth has got a good relationship with player and parent Club, so very much doubt, we have another Stewart palaver.

• Ainsworth has a good relationship with Mark Warburton not Brentford.

• 'Anthony Stewat' style mess mentioned above: if he hadn't stalled on his contract offer we probably wouldn't have pulled in Alfie at the last moment, yes it dragged on but so what, we got Alfie!

• Oh sh!!!, wonder what lies ahead after Warburton departs Brentford at the end of season?

• Ainsworth will need to broaden his contact list, I suggest that Paul Hayes had a serious hand in Sam Saunders arriving at the club.

• @blueh_w said:
    So .... if wet get promoted which now looks a pretty good bet will you all hate Alfie Mawson when he signs for another League 1 club and not us next season ?? Its clear he won't be renewing his contract at Brentford and will be moving elsewhere.

Bloody hell, change the record... What exactly do you have against Alfie? Is your name Danny Rowe? Or Mrs Rowe? You seem to have registered solely to comment on the ability of Alfie Mawson, most probably our player of the season, and haven't deemed it necessary to contribute to any other discussions regarding the fantastic season we're having.

Does Gasroom 2.0 have its first fully fledged WUM?

• @deardsie Good to see the return of a familiar name.

• @Bluebottle said:
    Pierre wasn't released. Strange though it may seem we offered him a better deal and more importantly first team football.

According to this link he was offered a youth deal, which doesn't count for the purposes of an 'Anthony Stewart' style mess, as we offered him a pro deal.

http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/aaron-pierre-joins-wycombe-may-2014-1555074.aspx

• If they'd offered him a pro deal I think 'hefty' compensation would have been due, but perhaps less than if we had not played a helping hand in 'developing' him ourselves last season.

• Alfie has delivered for us bigtime, the downside (if here is one) is that his performances have put him 'in the shop window', as such stock rises and any fee to any club will increase. Brentford is run on a commercial basis, you might loan players out to those you trust to nurture them but when it comes to selling (if indeed they do want to) Brentford will sell to the highest bidder and that will be from a higher league than us. Alfie will probably be convinced by parent club, agents, peer group etc that will better his career at a higher level, no matter how predisposed he feels towards us giving him his chance. Lets make the most of him whilst we have him, we have been fortunate to enjoy his performance this season.

• His mother makes the decisions and will do so again, she is very professional in her dealings hence he is still here now because he could have gone elsewhere when it was extended.

• @blueh_w, you seem the person in the know. i.e agent, friend, relation, player or possibly a well in formed fan?

Either way, I am sure Brentford will ensure they do not lose one penny on their investment.
    Who ever wants Mawson services next season will have to pay to a tidy some.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Championship side are already in regular contact with Mawson agents or mum.

You don't get nothing for nothing in Football. Yes the loan system worked for us this season, but can also work against you, if we are promoted, half of our regular starting 11 our loanees and a few have a 12 months to go, on their existing contracts.

GA will need to pull out all his powers of persuasion, if he is to get a committed and talented squad for next campaign on a shoe string budget, in whatever league.

Nevertheless, will enjoy the run in and continued speculation of in and outs of players.

• @Ciderk1d I would imagine we will operate in a similar fashion to this season next season. With a slightly better budget. It may be easier to attract players after what has happened this season. Obviously we will get a couple of quid more in sponsorships revenues being in a higher division. Who knows what Brentford will do. If they go up, and they really could, apart from being a miracle I am sure they will restructure and that could mean a lot of players being offloaded. But even if they don't Some players will be surplus to requirement.