Skip to content

Matt Ingram

Is anyone else concerned if Matty Ingram doesn't start to command his area/box on crosses, he will fail to reach his full potential?
Too many times last night, crosses were along the 6 yard line and he must start to come and get them. As for the 2nd goal, such a loopy, nothing ball into the box that he should be collected at the back post.

Comments

• I totally agree with those sentiments. Luton's keeper commanded his box and crosses much better than Ingram last night, and he made a mistake for their first goal. He has to work on this area of his game if he is really going to go places.

• Go and take a look at the video. Unless Ingram has suddenly developed ability to jump 30 feet into the air, he had no chance whatsover of collecting the cross for the second goal. Not suree he could do a lot about first one either. Lets keep criticism credible.

• The first one Dev? It's a spill

• Blimey Peter, thats harsh. Forward has hit a full blooded shot from ten yards away. No time to move his hands, nine times out of ten thats coming straight back out.

• The back five have had an impressive season this season and Matt has been a big part of that. He is at the start of his career. I assume if he goes, we will probably get good money for him and he will move somewhere where he will be expensively developed. There are a few good 'experienced' stoppers that will serve us in L1. I agree there are some flaws, but what he has achieved for WW this season after the last should not be discounted.

• Certainly the 2nd one Ingram couldn't do anything about, JJ needed to be more physical with their guy who won the header, there's no way Ingram could have claimed that. The 1st was a mistake by Ingram, his handling is usually very sound. There was a whole catalogue of errors for that 1st goal though, from the failure to close down the short corner, to the lack of reaction to the rebound off Ingram. Not too worry though, a good team performance and 3 vital points.

• @DevC - mmm, by your logic the Luton player must have jumped 30 feet to win the header?
    @Wycombe85 - why could he not claim it? a Luton player won the header, Ingram had enough time to move his feet and jump higher with arms above his head to claim the ball.

• Wll Mr Beaconsfield, your theory would work very well were we not to have the complicating factor called gravity. You are quite right though. Ingram should have correctly positioned himself on the near post initially, then charged at super human speed to the back post overtaking the ball after it had initially sailed over his head, caught it one handed before doing a double somersault with pike (surely for artistic effect). In the same movement he should have launched a long clearance down field, used that superhuman speed to get to the half way line to win the header and then raced through to meet his knock on before volleying it into the left hand top corner (so much more artistically satisfying than the right top corner i find). He then surely would have time to saunter to the tea bar, buy the entire WWFC fanbase a hot drink before racing back to his goal well before restart. Useless tw*t.

• Maybe if Alfie Mawson had been in goal.

• @DevC - there is nothing like waffling on about pointless stuff (somersaults, fish, tea bars) when you can't think of a valid response.
    It was a very loopy cross where Ingram would have had plenty of time to position himself as the ball dropped and jumped above both JJ and their man...

• The pike was in the gymnastic sense. it plainly would have been ridiculous to expect him to also have grabbed his fishing rod, nipped over to the grand union canal and caught a pike. A couple of bream maybe, but a Pike? No way.

• It was a spill for the first goal, and I think he should've been more commanding for the second. I thought the weakest part of our defence yesterday - which would be very picky - was JJ. Recovered well, but let his man drift from wide too many times.

• As was often the case on the old Gasroom the initial point has been lost amongst points scoring and details.

Matt Ingram is a great talent and as a keeper has plenty of time to mature in to a top keeper. I agree though with the initial post. He does need to command his six yard box better and gain the confidence on when to claim balls further out than that. Crosses are one thing but for me helping out defenders when the ball is put over the top is a more important part.

I think he'll keep improving and I look forward to watching it.

• Pike are still in the Grand Union Canal - not too sure if I will ever google that again! http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/224736-leighton-buzzard-grand-union-canal-pike/

• Ingram still has a lot to learn to be a top keeper. However he will only improve by playing regularly and not by moving to a championship side and spending most of his time on the bench.

• Must be having a laugh, Ingram took a thundering shot to chest, our defenders went to sleep. Luton 2nd goal, well JJ had a mare. Didn't jump, if he did may have rebound of his head or caused a deflection. No way was Ingram at fault. Sloppy defending again, after we score. "5" minute syndrome.

• Ciderkld, I am not criticising his performance last night. I honestly don't think he is good enough to walk into a Championship side at the moment.

• I think Matt is destined for greater things but he definitely does have to work on some aspects of his game - most obviously coming for crosses/corners. He can often be seen thinking about coming, stepping forward and then changing his mind.

He can't be solely blamed for the first goal, but if he wants to move on to bigger things he really should be holding a shot like that. However I don't see how he can be blamed for the second - it's coming down from way too high & past the far post for him to be able to come out and claim it. Jacobson should have done much better with it. In fact I think Jacobson has been off his game for a while now, defensively at least - although he did set a ridiculously high bar early in the season...

• If you take it as a given that all players at league 2 level could be helped with some constructive criticism, then I think Ingram's main need is to work on situational intelligence.

The first goal was a good example of this. Usually, what he did would be the right thing. He had his body completely behind the ball and, if he did not field it cleanly first time, the ball would be well within his reach on the second bounce. However, he should have identified that the number of bodies around him meant that any potential second ball would not be within his control. In this situation, forcing the ball behind for the corner removes the immediate danger and allows the defence to get back into position.

The same issue has affected his ability to claim crosses. Last season he was caught out on a few occasions coming for a ball that he had little hope of claiming. This year, he has been at fault for not coming to claim balls that are very much there to be had. He has yet to find the sweet spot of what is in his reach and what is not.

These are all errors that all young players go through and it is remarkable that this is his biggest issue at this stage in his development. I think it is only a matter of time before he becomes the penalty box general we all want him to be but he will only get there with time on the field.

• He needs to improve his kicking which is weak if he wants to play at the highest level.
    I'm sure the club are working on this.

• We will only keep him as long as he continues to have weaknesses in his game so it's a double edged sword.