Skip to content

Comments

• Hayes was in the game for the first ten minutes, then dropped out.

Also, can't fathom why, after seeing the potent Jacobson/ Bayo link up work well, we then didn't keep doing that. The key against 10 is to stretch the play, and we could have used JJ's left foot far better today.

A lovely rally at the end though. AP has missed that recently.

• Agree and thought Hayes was off the pace last week also - it was a joy to watch us today when Sam Saunders and Scott Kashket came on...with Sido advancing down the right wing

• Thought sido had a decent game tbh, pch has been poor the last couple of games and seems more concerned about mouthing the ref off, I also get the impression he thinks he's a lot better than he actually is atm

• edited January 2017

Yes, PCH did himself no favours with the ref but thought he did ok overall today

• Have a feeling pch won't be staying, hope I'm wrong but his attitude looked bad today, look at his reaction when they scored it ain't great and also he walked off when we were trailing apposed to hayes who run off like any player who cares would if your trailing

• I hope he stays, he'll be a big part of the rest of the season.

• edited January 2017

@bigred87 now you come to mention it I noticed PCH's body language and that he was laughing as he walked off - I also recall him doing this last week - not a good sign but also hope he stays

• He was fuming when he got taken off at Cheltenham.

• Not convinced by PCH at the moment

• Paris not doing it for me at the moment not sure where his head is . Weston would have done better than hayes today though I think the captain still has a role...just not sure what it is! Bayo is a really good player who contributes hugely despite being heavily marked throughout yet again. Hylton obviously loves the hate and revels in it...no wonder someone smashed his face in!

• Very fair report. Sido is starting to look slightly vunerable

• His attitude sucked today. I wonder if there's something behind it as its not generally been a problem in his time at AP.

At the minute we're short of a player to go with Bayo and Kashket in the front three.

Scott seems to prefer playing on the right side in order to cut inside onto his left foot. PCH doesn't seem to much like the left sided position and is struggling for form, as is Hayes.

Interesting that Saunders played that position when he came on rather than as one of the midfield 3 as he did when he was here last time around. I wonder if that was a one off or whether GA fancies him a bit further forward.

• Weston could easily nail down that position if he keeps fit.

• Possibly. He's been a bit hit and miss so far. He was good in the first half last week and then non-existent after half-time.

He'll probably get another chance on Tuesday to stake his claim.

• I'm sure Myles Weston will play on Tuesday. But not easy to predict who else will play. Because of the now realistic chance of getting to Wembley (and being on TV in the semi-final which Checkatrade are pushing for) it must be tempting to put out a more or less full strength side. The complications of course are the fixtures on Saturday and Tuesday, both of which are important for different reasons. Tottenham as an opportunity to impress the TV audience (in the extended highlights) and Exeter in the context of the apparent intention to push hard for promotion. Nice dilemma to have.

• We are going to see just how strong our squad is over the coming weeks. We have Sat / Tue games every week for four weeks and five weeks out of six.

• Whilst Paris is a great player on his day, I am not sure it would necessarily be sensible to offer him a long term contract. He would demand a relatively high wage which would limit spending on other parts of the squad. His injury record, inconsistency and suspect temperement would in my view make this risky in terms of our limited playing budget.

• I thought that overall the referee had a good game and tried to keep control in very difficult circumstances,but two incidents baffled me. Why did he not consult his linesman when Hylton should have been given a second yellow card ? After all,the linesman furiously signalled the offence.Secondly, when Hylton was later fouled and a free kick awarded,why was Hylton not sent to the touchline after treatment ? I thought that was the law however unfair it appears to be

• I think he got both things right actually.

I think there was a level of theatre about JJ's reaction to the clash between the two players. To me, he knew what he was he doing given Hylton was on a booking. I may be wrong but I think there was certainly enough doubt about it not to issue a second yellow.

With regards to not consulting the linesman, remember they are miked up these days so can talk to each other without needing to stand next to each other. So chances are he did.

On Hylton not leaving the field, he was certainly correct as the incident led to a booking which means the injured player doesn't have to leave the field under rule changes introduced this year

• New rule apparently. If injury results from a foul, no need to leave the pitch. I'd welcome confirmation on this. Where are you Dev? (Oh, incidentally, the match could not have been played without undersoil heating which had been on since Thursday. It's been very cold in the southeast.)
    Don't start!!

• Doesn't have to leave field if player booked or sent off.

• It was the booking then. Thanks @TheatreOfChairs.

• It's a good rule change too. The rationale for making players leave the field was to create a disincentive for players who wanted to waste time by pretending to be injured as it was a real problem in the game.

However, if you've been the victim of a foul that required a caution then it's less likely you'll be making it up.

Although clearly FIFA didn't take the antics of Diving Danny Hylton into account when making the change.

• Their Number 4 was almost as bad as Hylton at lobbing himself onto the floor. Detestable bunch.