Skip to content

Final day fictures changed to 5.30pm KO

Just seen this on Twitter. Seriously, why? What benefit does it have for anyone?

Comments

• *'EFL: Kick-off time confirmed for final round of Sky Bet League Two fixtures
    Posted: Wed 18 Jan 2017
    Author: EFL

It has been confirmed that the final Sky Bet League Two fixtures of the season will kick-off at 5.30pm on Saturday 6th May.
    The matches will be played simultaneously to ensure that all promotion and relegation issues are resolved fairly and concurrently in what is set to be a nail-biting conclusion to the season.

The fixtures have been switched from their initial 3pm slot so that at least one decisive fixture can be broadcast live on Sky Sports.

John Nixon, League Two’s representative on the EFL Board, said: “The final day of the regular season is always a tense and dramatic day for all supporters whether you are sitting in the stands or watching on TV.

“The change means more and more football fans up and down the country will now be able to see the season finale and witness first-hand the contribution League Two clubs have made to another fantastic campaign in the EFL.

“It is also important that we are able to notify supporters of this change well in advance to allow plenty of time for any alterations to travel plans that may be required.”

Read more at http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-final-round-of-sky-bet-league-two-fixtures-moved-3525453.aspx#VbhrDkL7MGQJ5DG6.99'*

I love the final line. We know some poor benighted souls out there actually prefer being at the games their team plays, so we've messed up their day with plenty of warning.

• “The final day of the regular season is always a tense and dramatic day for all supporters whether you are sitting in the stands or watching on TV."

When has this statement ever been remotely true. It may be tense and dramatic for three or four sets of supporters but rarely any more.

And the horrible use of 'regular season' just shows just how out of touch they are. This is not the NFL FFS.

• This will certainly make the Newport fixture clash more interesting.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/newport-v-newport-nightmare-welsh-12460245

(i'd quite like to see a rugby and football game played simultaneously. Especially if Wycombe were not involved).

• The only advantage I can see is more drinking time!

• But less celebrating time!

• This is dreadful

• @FallenFlyer said:
    This will certainly make the Newport fixture clash more interesting.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/newport-v-newport-nightmare-welsh-12460245

(i'd quite like to see a rugby and football game played simultaneously. Especially if Wycombe were not involved).

Westley to suggest County play up and down pitch whilst Dragons play across the pitch, swap over at half time?

• Do Westley teams actually use the pitch?

• I wonder if they will actually choose a match which has the potential to be dramatic or whether they'll just want to anoint the champions.

• I feel Newport County really so have primacy of tenancy then the rugby game will have to move and it's as simple as that. But we know from experience sharing with a rugby club nothing is 'as simple as that.'

• But the Rugby Club own the ground so can do what they like.

• The change means more and more football fans up and down the country will now be able to see the season finale and witness first-hand the contribution League Two clubs have made to another fantastic campaign in the EFL.
    How? A lot of fans may have social commitments on a Saturday night? So one game can be on Murdoch TV? Just don't get it!

• Crap change, especially for those with a long journey home afterwards.

• @mooneyman I think the rugby club that own the ground are not the same club that have a match scheduled on the 6th: Newport RFC, not Gwent Dragons.

• @mooneyman That's exactly the issue tho. The EFL requires that their clubs are the primary tenants, so Newport County shouldn't have to move regardless of who owns the ground.

• It's pretty easy to get. Sky want a nice little teatime show for the armchair fans. It's one of many reasons why I won't have Sky in my house and the sooner more people do the same, the sooner we'll be spared this bullshit.

If you can't do without, at least find an illegal stream.

• I'm sure that the fans of Yeovil, Plymouth and Carlisle will be delighted by the change. Yeovil go to Colchester, Plymouth are at Grimsby and Exeter travel to Carlisle.

• Sorry - Carlisle go to Exeter.

• Horrible news. We're maybe not so badly affected being at home, but that's not the point. I hate Sky with a passion for what they are doing to football.

• Likewise @arnos_grove , hate sky with a passion. Never had it in any form. Would like BT to wrestle some of the golf tournaments from them & I might be tempted to have BT sports?

• Actually not sure a later kick off time has as much effect on say Carlisle or Plymouth supporters as it does on medium distance matches. Havent checked train times but I doubt if you can do either to return that night even with a 3pm kick off. Those on coaches are going to get back in the middle of the night anyway. probably the bigger effect is those middle distance matches for which a later kickoff might make the difference between getting home in time for an evening out or not and possibly even being able to travel by train or not.

bottom line I am afraid is if football clubs are dependent on tv money, sometimes there is a price to pay.

• Not a price you have to pay if you don't go to games though, eh.

Even for home fans it will mean the difference between getting home early evening and late evening - on a day of the week when many people would hope to do something with their evening.

• Plymouth to Carlisle return on the train would cost about 3 grand as well, such is the extortionate cost of train travel in this country

• just pointing out reality, mindless.

actually with a 530 kickoff, most would be home by eight, or ready to go on straight from the game at 730. For many home supporters on a warm may evening, that may be quite attractive.

Not advocating the change, just pointing out the reality, if you want the money, sometimes you have to dance.

• I think it's more accurate to say that it's players, their agents and the bureaucrats at FL and FA head office who are dependent on TV money (good luck to them, by the way).

It could disappear overnight and football would still continue - just the salaries and transfer fees would deflate.

• Who could predict Dev would argue in favour of it! Always takes the alternative view, on purpose I suspect.

Thank goodness we're not away is all I can say.

Hopefully there will be some issues to resolve on the last day, or we've all been moved around for no reason.
    And I wonder if the televised team get any money out of it. Or is it like the playoffs where you get a fairly underwhelming pot.

• Enjoying hearing about the match day experience. Last Saturday I finally got back to my car at 5.20 and I only parked a few mins from the ground. Last couple of games have finished after 5.
    Any ideas why I don't seem to be out on the town in the time scales given?

The justification given by the league is laughable. Why not just say they are doing it for TV . I guessing only those chosen will get TV money and the rest will be left

• If you reread Malone I was not supporting it, just pointing out that if you want TV money, sometimes you have to live with some kick off changes.

Without TV money, highly doubtful that lg2 teams would be able to stay full time.

Eric is right. Train tickets generally and especially from the West Country are horrendous, not quite 3 grand but you are looking at &200 plus.

I do find the ritual horror whenever there is a fixture change overplayed. In a couple of weeks Wycombe will be away at exeterr at 745 on a weeknight. Much more inconvenient than 530 on a Saturday for most. Not a peep of concern about that however. Concern about this one game a tad overblown?

• It's an unnecessary alteration.
    It doesn't affect you, so you don't see any issue with it.

It's like I can think, 7.45pm at Exeter, well I'm not going, so what's the problem?

• Poor attempt Dev, by your standards