Skip to content

Graham Taylor RIP

Sky just announced that Graham Taylor has died, aged 72.
RIP.

Comments

• Sad news. Great club manager and by all accounts a decent man.

• Sky, both presenters shedding a tear, genuine sadness.

• Very sad news

I imagine (hope) there will be a minute's silence prior to Saturday's game

• i remember him driving past us at vicarage road and being a bit star struck as he was on the telly RIP old son

• Always enjoyed him on the radio. Good insight and seemed a good fella.

• A good man dealt an unlucky hand as England manager. Too many of the top players quit when he took over (Shilton, Butcher), were past it (Robson, to an extent Lineker, etc) , had personal problems (Gascoigne, Adams), didn't replicate club form to international (Barnes, Wright) and the younger ones coming through took longer to adapt than the media would give him.

• R.I.P Graham alround good bloke..

• Typical, teary eyed tributes in the gutter press after making his job impossible at the time

• Always came across as a thoroughly decent bloke. One of my favourite radio pundits. What he said to the linesman and the 'do I not like that' / 'can we not kick it' stuff in that documentary, is legendary.

I imagine Vicarage Road, in particular, will be a fairly emotional place tomorrow.

• The misery of England's World Cup 94 qualifying campaign was my first memory of being gutted about a football event (at the time Wycombe were practically unstoppable, perfect for a glory hunting 7 year-old!), so his name was always more readily associated with that in my mind than his great achievements at Watford and Villa. Looking back at the amount of stick he got at the time when he was rounded on by the tabloid bullies makes me feel a bit sick.
    I always enjoyed his punditry on the radio, though the stories of how generous he was with his time for people in the game and supporters are a far truer measure of the man.

Villa v Wolves tomorrow I would imagine will also be a poignant game between two of his former clubs.

• @ Leeds Blue, Sir. "Can we not knock it?" Screen gem.

• If you dig out the Danny Baker podcast from a year or so ago you realise what a decent and honest guy he was. Rarely do you hear interviews with managers about their life as a whole and it was a real treat.
    Very sad and I hope a few journalists are sitting a little more uncomfortably tonight as their attacks on him were vastly unjustified.

• @ Our Frank - that's the one!