Skip to content

Can we petition the BBC not to Show all the Genesis stuff tonight!

Monsoon is probably wetting himself at the prospect of this.

I am still waiting for the Angelic Upstarts special to be shown.

Comments

• I'm guessing this is why we haven't seen Mr Monsoon on here yet. There's a lot of preparation to be done for this.

And where's my 5 hour special on the New York Dolls?

• Assume it will be similar to Brian Pern: A Life in Rock but without any laughs

• Not my favourite but even they beat anything from the eighties hands down...

It has to be Floyd.

• GA told me a few years ago that he'd been a fan of The Doors in his early rockin' days; maybe still is. Haven't watched the Hollywood Bowl 1968 concert yet but recorded it (as well as Floyd) from Sky Arts last night. I remember borrowing Genesis Trick of the Tail LP from the library in the '70s and thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Rock gods. Prog was the pinnacle of popular music and early Genesis is up there with the best.. Yes and Floyd ah those happy days.

• More of a Zeppelin fan meself, but Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering were great albums. Far more accessible than the Gabriel stuff.

• As an old punk...their hair was too long and they used too many notes. Double concept albums my arse. As for the Doors...drunkenly singing the same line twice with an oh yeeeeeeeah at the end over a jazzy organ is not the work of genius. I'll get me leather jacket and DMs

• @Wendoverman has absolutely nailed the Doors. Most overrated band ever.

• No that was The Clash.

• Wow that's a statement. The Clash sang about the real world BB.

• if you think the Clash were overrated you are not of my generation :-) I saw them live abut half a dozen times and they were amongst the best gigs I have ever been to

• Precisely. What groups you think are gods and what groups you think are the spawn of Satan is largely a function of when you were born. For me, it's Floyd and their ilk who are the gods and Punk largely an irrelevance.

There's nothing like slaying sacred cows.

• Strangely, the Floyd's inability to make albums that I could engage with seemed to coincide with the arrival of the Clash. I haven't thought much of anything they made after "Dark side of the moon" and I don't like that one that much.

Mind you I was one of a small (and aged) crowd who enjoyed seeing Jefferson Starship when they played in London a couple of weeks ago

• I have to agree with you there, I have all Floyd's albums up to Wish You Were Here, and then no more. Roger Walters seemed to take over at that point with his own special brand of gloom. Turned me off and never got re-started.

• At last something decent to watch on the music front tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0543ytw

• I saw Royal Blood on the Brits for the first time and was quite impressed, maybe music has a future.

• That was some documentary last night on Joy Division. Lots of clips I had never seen

• Excellent stuff. Loved seeing the old archive. I was a student in Manchester 1983 - 1986. I can certainly agree that there were some very grim and wet bits!!

• Lots of favourite bands of mine mentioned here, rock, prog and punk through to new wave. It has always baffled me not only how people could not love the music of all of these bands (although I accept that there´s no accounting for taste, mine or anyone elses) but how that dislike then becomes a quest to prevent their being played over the public airwaves. Personally, I´d far rather miss out on One Direction, and indeed I do miss out, deliberately, despite the coverage.

Too many notes Wendoverman? Been watching Amadeus have we? Now there was an artist ...

• Indeed Ed...but the human ear can only take in so many chords. Much of early punk I find hard to listen to now, but for me it came at a time when the charts were bland and bands like Genesis, Yes, Deep Purple and that hairy, be-flared, private jet setting lot seemed completely remote from a Notingham council estate with their Hobbity musings. Like Merseybeat in the 1960s punk made kids think...I could do that whereas most of us could not play a suspended ninth or write a side of an album about Priests of the Temple of Syrinx stopping people playing eight minute guitar solos!
    To be fair...a lot of them knew it too. I have softened my stance on hair and song length since then, and even enjoy the odd meandering musical noodling. Having said that...Jim Morrison is still over-rated.

• Saw Man at the Half Moon in Putney the other night. Had set my expectations quite low not having seem them for about 40 years but they were really really good. Welsh 70s rock seems to last :-)