Skip to content

Transfer Window

Activity expected in the window?

GK: Blackman secured, Richardson fine for matchday back-up, Brown on recall (if loan) or emergency loanee if Blackman gets injured. No activity required.

Defence: Jombati, Pierre, Steward. Jacobsen arguably the best in the league, but if Harriman injury is longterm, only De Havilland offering cover with Rowe and Wood at a push. Look short of one cover player here, ideally one who can play across the positions. Obviously if pierre goes, would need to replace. 1 in (2 if Pierre goes, none out)

Midfield: Assuming Gape has gone, ONien, Bloomfield, Rowe and Bean looks one short unless Wood can shine in central midfield. Only bring in if exceptional opportunity arises.
Wouldn't be surprised to see McGinn go off on loan in advance of a full time move next year.

Attack: Loads of cover here in the 433 system, Bayo and Hayes in the middle, Kashket, Weston, Thompson and Wood plus Francis and Southwell. Expect PCH to extend but otherwise no more ins. Possible either Francis and/or Southwell may go out on loan. No ins needed (apart from PCH)

Comments

• You forgot about muller in defence?

• I might be having a strange moment, but who is Francis?

• Bean has shown he can do a job at right back, although I guess Rowe would probably get the nod if Sido and Harriman were both unavailable

Just seen that Freeman has returned from his loan at Wealdstone.

• Eek, you are right, I forgot about Muller and confused Nick Freeman with the ex-nemesis (Enfield?) Nick Francis! Must do better.

• I had exactly the same thought Chris. I assume he's talking about Freeman?!

• Holding on the Pierre is pretty key for our fortunes this season as is getting Gape or similar young holding midfielder on board.
    Keeping Paris is another key and yesterday proved again the Hayes/ Thompson axis is one filled with goals.

Would be great to add a fresh face to the mix too. Maybe Trevor Francis is already on board as suggested above.

• I thought Muller only had a six month contract.

• Would be a shame if we couldn't see a benefit from him now given the reported rumours of how technically good he is. I had presumed that he was the natural successor to Pierres' crown when we cashed in during this transfer window?

• Muller is only on a 6 month contract but if he is as good as we must think he is (I can't think of another reason why we would pay 6 months wages to an injured player) and perhaps most importantly, is injury free I would expect us to offer him a new contract, with him honouring the commitment we showed him by paying him for the last 6 months.

I am of course assuming that honour, gratitude and loyalty has a strong place in football. Which most of the time it doesn't.

• Remember Muller is a German and may not possess the English sense of honour!

• @mooneyman Why do I think of him as an Austrian? Could be that I'm an idiot, which I don't rule out of course!

• Our last great German marketing assistant Henning Wehn proves Germans can have a sense of humour!

• @EwanHoosaami Possibly because we signed him from Salzburg.

• On the subject of Pierre, if he isn't prepared to sign a contract then (obviously with a back up / replacement lined up) it would be foolish not to sell and make some money off him? He's a cracking defender yes, but we can't just sit idly and let him go for free in summer surely.

• Depends what level of offer comes in in Jan. If someone offers £250k, no brainer to accept. If someone offers half a mars bar, no brainer to refuse. Somewhere in between is the line. With potential cup runs, play off etc, prospects significantly reduced if Pierre goes now, hard to work out quite at what level that line is set.

• It all depends on what sort of offer we can get for Pierre.

50k now, or keep his excellence until the summer isn't that tough a choice for me.
    But say, 100k and I think we'd find we probably have to sell.

Which would worry me, as De Havilland looks well under his level, and no one really knows with Muller. It's gone deafeningly quiet on Muller. Nowhere near the squad after that one 60/70min run out in the cup.
    Is he still around? Is he on a new contract? Is he injured again? Is he only able to start games due to the nature of his problems not being worth the lesser warm up off the bench?

First thing's first, let's beat Stourbridge and rake in that £67.5k winnings. Maybe that can help us put off the Pierre issue until the summer.

• The big thing in my mind with Pierre would be losing any sort of sell-on clause if he goes in the summer - whereas if we sell him now (even for £50k) we can add in a sell-on clause and hopefully have a payout down the line

• Two cup wins next week should hopefully allow us to reject almost any realistic offer for Pierre shouldn't it?

• Yes @Tom , but this close to getting him for free, clubs aren't going to be too generous in their allowances to us.

I wonder if like Ingram his last game for us will be an FA Cup 3rd round game.

• I wonder if Ingram regrets that move a little. 12 months of almost exclusive benchwarming, behind a promising young keeper. Hard to see how that situation will change unless Smithies is himself sold upwards. Grass not always greener?

• It might be greener if you see his pay packet! (I have no idea what he is paid mind)

• The money will no doubt be a lot more, but Smithies age is a real problem. At 26, just 3 years older than our boy, something does need to change.

However, football can change pretty quickly! And he can always come back here!

• Best thing that could happen for Ingram is QPR get relegated and they sell Smithies. League One is probably his level at this stage in his career.

• Well all in all a very good transfer window for us.

Blackman loan extended? Tick
    Pierre to stay? Tick
    Gape loan extended? Tick +++
    Strengthen attacking midfield options? Tick++++
    Wave goodbye to misfit midfielder? Tick (No disrespect - just wasn't for us)
    Parish Council Hall to sign/extend? Tick? (Maybe)
    Back up additional forward? Tick

Apologies if I've missed anyone there but that's as good a return as we could realistically have hoped gor

• Bookertease think we have signed Gape + Tick + gold star

• Yes. Definitely