Skip to content

Overpaid pampered footballers

Just thought the attached article may be of interest

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32018669

And remember this is for a career that at best lasts 10 or so years before being thrown out on the scrapheap.

Comments

• Exactly. Is there any real need for footballers at that level to be full time? Having another job helps prepare for life after the scrapheap has arrived. I am sure a lot of them feel that way anyway and would prefer it.

• The way attendances are falling in the lower leagus, it wouldn't surprise me if League Two allows semi-pro clubs within the next 15 years.

• i agree that they shouldnt have to be full time at that level! one thing i cannot stand is jealous people moaning about over paid players! The money is made available by football fans! US! If another company offered you a 20% payrise to do the same job you are doing now would you not take it?

• edited March 2015

And what are football club's supposed to do with the extra revenue if they do not spend it on player's wages? Just put it in the pocket's of the board members? No thanks!

Of course they could pass on the savings with reduced ticket prices, but the fact is that another club will simply pay it's players more, attract better players, win all the competitions and charge their fans more. People don't support a club purely based on the ticket price.

The wages of footballer's are based on simple market economics.

• There is no 'extra revenue' at league 1/2 level.

• It isn't really simple market economics, as clubs spend more than they generate in income and rely on the wealth of their owners to stay in business.

• At best a career that lasts 10 years or so? Some players start professionally as early as 16 and play into their late 30s. Rob Lee and Gareth Ainsworth have both donned the quarters into their 40's. I make that 24 years 'at best'.

Secondly, fifth tier footballers earning £20k a year doesn't sound too far off the mark to me. I know a lot of people starting out on their careers who aren't near that.

• Also alot of the players go in to coaching or something football related which I would hardly call being thrown on the scrap heap! Players have a choice in their careers same as we all do

• If there are squads of 25 players for each team but only a handful of coaches, and also taking into account that a coach could be aged anything from 25-75, it can only be a small proportion that go into coaching.

• There are other football related jobs other than coaching! Like I said they have a choice! in 15 years they have plenty of time to prepare for life after their playing careers!

• I think the vast majority of footballers will be in a career outside of football by age 35.

• haha so not on the scrap heap

• My heart bleeds.

• Mental pressure on footballers must be emense. Especially if your in a relationship or have children. I don't think the vast majority of Professional footballers are overpaid. The cream of the crop are paid what they are worth. It's the entertainment business, same in all walks of life.

You get what you deserve, reap what you so.

Now show me the money.