Skip to content

Hereford utd

Just reading an article on Hereford and how they cease to exist,makes u feel for the the genuine fans of the club having been a wycombe fan for 35 yrs makes u think how devastating it must be to see your club not be part of your life anymore

Comments

• We mustn't let that happen. I suspect we have a much larger fan base than Hereford. We really do need to dig deep over the next couple of months.

• If fans keep saying we have "no ambition" and booing the lack of investment, that is where Wycombe will end up.

SOME fans need to learn that success can come slowly and cost affectively. This Club needs to make money before it can be ambitious. Currently we are losing money.

Andrew Howard and Gaz at the helm for the next 5 years and I can see us still in League two and making money, ill be chuffed.

• Strange post. Can't fathom it at all. Were you at the Trust meeting last week? If not, I strongly recommend that you try to catch up with all the latest information (discussion on this forum; Official WW Website; Press articles etc) regarding the Community Share Scheme and the 5-year Plan.

Your last para seemed particularly incomprehensible.

• Interesting, I was about to give a virtual thumbs up to @Blue_petee post as I wholeheartedly agreed with it.

The way I read it, he is saying that there are some fans who need to be more patient and not expect us to 'chase the dream' by splashing cash we haven't got, as has happened in the past. That we need to get our own house in order first, which is exactly what Andrew Howard appears to be trying to do. Hence the last paragraph seems to be stating that he will be happy even if we are still in L2 in 5 years time as long as we've had some stability and have turned the finances round - something that some people wouldn't be happy with because they see it as a sign of a lack of ambition.

Or perhaps I've misread it completely?

• I agree with both your interpretation and the content.

• Society like winners, Sponsors like the size of the club's fanbase. Chiken and egg scenario.

WW should in my opionion have ambition to grow the club, to the extent re establishing (5 year plan) the Youth setup and U21. So much talent going elsewhere or not being discovered. If you can't go out and pay top dollar, then grow your own.

Can't expect to run Brentford B via loan system for ever. Can we?

• @Fidget - you have expressed in better English and more articulately what I suspect @Blue_petee was trying to put across. I think my overriding feeling was one of despair that anyone would be "chuffed" at the thought of languishing in League 2 for another five years. That sounds like a counsel of despair.

The ambition to progress is clear to see and I have no idea who these fans are who "keep saying we have no ambition and who boo the lack of investment."

Of course you have to walk before you can run (and no-one is more conscious than I am of the need for sound finances) but things are clearly moving on under the present regime, both on and off the pitch, at a faster rate than could possibly have been anticipated 6 months ago. If by "investment" @Blue_petee means buying players, then his implication is correct that this is not the way forward in the immediate future. Income to provide working capital will come, inter alia, from better use of the stadium facilities, increased sponsorship/advertising and of course the Community Share Scheme.

Developing talented youngsters on loan is something Wycombe have proved to be very good at and that will continue, I suspect. Brentford have been a highly co-operatve and appreciative source in that respect but the net will obviously have to be spread much wider in future. We have been reminded ad infinitum that, for the foreseeable future, we cannot afford to run our own youth set-up.