Skip to content

Match day thread: Hartlepool

Comments

• We're so lucky to have LON, great performance from him. He chased most things and played some great passes. Decent game overall. Could have had four easily.

• Don't blame the drummer. Where were the singers today? Very flat at times, especially during the first half of the second half when Hartlepool were pressing a bit. Hats off to the drummer, he keeps it going home and away.
    Just another quick small point. Does everyone who said today's game was the best of 2016 think it was better than Crewe? Personally I thought the Crewe game rated a bit above today, superb though today was.

• @Glenactico said:

Don't stand next to him then. There's plenty of room in other parts of the terrace.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Superb today. Bayo unlucky not to score but he worked hard. Harriman and Kashket were fantastic. Atmosohere was flat, drum is annoying but probably does help at home games.

• @fromtheside said:
    Superb today. Bayo unlucky not to score but he worked hard. Harriman and Kashket were fantastic. Atmosohere was flat, drum is annoying but probably does help at home games.

The drum helps if it deployed at the right moment. When it is thumped for almost the entire game it does not help at all.

There are two chaps with drums. One is much more measured and another insists on hitting the thing over and over and over regardless of whether anyone else is with him or not. There is no room for starting an alternative chant because you cannot hear anything over the drumming!

• blooms was superb today and had been most of the season........never thought I'd say that

• If u don't like drumming move away! Quiet simple..Was a good performance today but didn't test the gk enough..not enough end product.

• My first match since the Barnet defeat.
    I said then that the next month would have to see some kind or change - either we started to win marches or Ainsworrh's position would become difficult. Well ........
    What a delight to comment that we have started not only to win marches but, by all accounts, our overall play is so much better.
    The first half, in particular, today we were very impressive. Good energy and movement, close passing and high press. I thought we probably deserved a second goal - why didn't the ref give a penalty when the defender nearly kicked Kashket in the face?
    Second half was more even but our goal never really looked in danger except once when Stewart headed clear after a knock back from the far post.
    Two cup marches to play before our next league game means Ainsworrh's will, I expect, continue to rest players / try different formations. So long as it brings results and doesn't disrupt any rhythm that I'm all for it.

Finally well done to Matty Bloomfield, 494 games and currently playing just about his best football.

• Barnet match was certainly woeful and I certainly was not in a rush to come back..came along to the morcambe match and did ok..today was certainly a notch up..

Gaz surely must be contender for manager of the month with 4 straight wins in November.

• Would love to see PCH, Kashket and Bayo all start next week against Chesterfield. Hopefully we will take a decent number up there now.

@Aylesburyblue Agreed. GA must be a contender.

• Was wondering as well @fromtheside if we can put Paris in with those 3..not sure if we can and can't see gaz going with it either.

• The only negative: the drummer. Thumping the damned thing over and over and over again does not a good atmosphere make.

FFS we should thank the drummers without them AP would be a library. There is more atmosphere at away games than at home. we often get out sung at home even by a small away crowd

• I've seen Kashket 3 times now and can't believe orient let him go. He is what we have been crying out for up front, something different and madly irritating for defenders. He has a touch of Beavon about him and I hope we get him on a deal sooner rather than later.

• Where are the bed wetters?

• @eric_plant has been conspicuous by his absence!

• @Aylesburyblue I think you can bring Paris in and either play him on the wing in a 442 or as a front 3. Would mean Hayes or Bayo dropping to bench though.

With 2 cup games coming up would expect Kashket to get 2 more starts.

In regards to atmosphere it doesn't help when most away sides are only bringing 100/200 fans and making no noise.

• @fromtheside said:
    Aylesburyblue I think you can bring Paris in and either play him on the wing in a 442 or as a front 3. Would mean Hayes or Bayo dropping to bench though.

can't see gaz dropping Hayes or bayo.

• Kaskett has pace which we have been sorely lacking. Him and PCH looked like our best goal threats on Tuesday. Didn't make the Hartlepool game but glad we actually played well and won. Felt like we had been a bit lucky in some of the other games.

• @Aylesburyblue selection headaches for Gaz. Can only be a good thing. Competition for places and people playing well.

• Hayes looked like he's picked up a groin injury which may rule him out for a couple of weeks (not read anything about it but he looked in some pain) which would open opportunities up for Kashket. He looks like the most natural goalscorer we've had at Wycombe since Scott McGleish. Yesterday was probably a better overall performance than the Crewe game, particularly in the first half. Almost felt like watching a Gorman team again.

• Another thing that stood out for me was the game finishing at about 4.50pm - that hasn't happened for a while. It's like we were so good we forgot about time wasting.

• I agree about the time wasting - First time in ages I have been able to stay on the terrace and enjoy the atmosphere as the players and the crowd appreciate each other and then have a comfortable walk to catch the 17:52 to Marylebone.
    I saw Luke O'Nein, Michael Harriman, Matt Blomfield, Aaron Pierre and Anthony Stewart all wanting the ball and wanting to go forwards with it when we were 'only' 1 - 0 up.
    Thinking about it Joe Jacobson was wanting to go goalwards too - I think I saw at least two interceptions and then him coming forwards rather than kicking it. I have probably missed others and I am certain Sido and Gareth also meet the criteria for inclusion.
    Happy day.

• Apart from the performance and result, two things that stood out for me were the absence of yellow cards and a referee (a late change, incidentally) who let the game flow. James Adcock is not averse to issuing cards but perhaps has become more discerning with experience. His first ever Football League game was at Macclesfield five years ago when he sent off three players. GA scored our goal in a 1-0 win. [Acknowledgement to Vital for that information.] We have won two and drawn one with him in charge so he is welcome back any time! Arguably, he should have given a penalty for the chopping down of Kashkett towards the end of the game but he may have been influenced by what looked suspiciously like a dive by the same player in the first half.
    Overall, the best entertainment on a Saturday afternoon for a very long time.

• @LX1 are you up for the cup next week?

• Good call on the referee @micra - you won't find many better performances than that in the 4th division. Even proper tackles were allowed!

I did laugh at his swift interception as Paul Hayes started to go on his traditional 'captain's armband walkabout'. Took it straight off him and handed it on.

• Missed that; excellent awareness.

• @M3G Certainly am mate, see you there? Just noticed tickets are only a tenner in advance which means more beer.

• @LX1 said:
    M3G Certainly am mate, see you there? Just noticed tickets are only a tenner in advance which means more beer.

And a paltry £5 for concessions- I'm almost tempted.