Skip to content

Minor Season Ticket Rankle

Not overly keen on griping, but I wanted to swap my season ticket to sit up in the Gods for 1 game only, and was told I had to do this in advance. Not in a position to do so, so asked why I couldn't just turn up on the day, pay the £7 difference and get a paper ticket to sit.

I was told that this is impossible as they have to change my season ticket over otherwise it'll ruin the sequence of matches logged onto my card (You still following?)

Now, to a tech simpleton like myself this seems ridiculous. If I couldn't go tomorrow and therefore didn't use my season ticket, it would all be fine and work itself out. So, simply, why can't I rock up to the ticket office tomorrow and have them - no doubt tick a box on a computer programme - to swap my ticket over or print out another one.

So they can make sure they have seating left? Ah, I wouldn't want to take up space in the notoriously over-subscribed Adams Park at the moment.

Rules for rules sake.

Comments

• This seems odd.

When I was a ST-holder in 14/15, several times I would turn up to games with my old dear. She is not overly keen on the terrace, which is where both of my ST were.

I would simply walk into the little office next to the club shop, and explain that I'd like to sit elsewhere. Even though the terrace ST was priced lower, the girls behind the desk would never object and simply allow us in the Family Stand.

I only did this maybe 3 times, but they never asked any questions. I'm sure if I'd tried it every week they would quickly tell me to get lost.

• I think it would be a good idea for the staff to go on a customer care course! As Alan Cecil is the only Director who seems to have any interest in the supporters, it would be interesting to have his comments on this issue.

• I've always seen this as a relitively simple process. Didn't the club not so long ago encourage you to bring others along to games and sit with them?

I'd ask for a second opinion as I'm not sure the answer you were given is correct.

• Nice, thanks team - I will turn up tomorrow and see what happens. If they can't swap it over on the day, I might bring up my slither of a stake in the club.

• I've always found the match day ticket staff very helpful, so as suggested above, just turn up and ask nicely. They're invariably accommodating.

• To be fair, for what ever reason the club have stated at the start of the season that if you want to swap tickets it has to be done before a match day. I've done this in the last two games no problem.

• For the past few seasons I would sometimes turn up on the day and switch my family stand ticket to a terrace ticket and this was always handled without problem.

As @WelwynWanderer notes, at the start of this season it was announced that such transfers now need to be done in advance of match day. Not a problem if you know in advance that you want to switch - phone the club and either collect the tickets on the day or have them e-mailed for printing yourself - but a pain if you decide on the day that you would prefer to switch; for example, if my kids decide last minute not to come and I would prefer to join friends in the terrace instead of sit on my own in the family stand. Only late option now would be to not use my season ticket and buy an additional ticket for the terrace on the day.

• Your final sentence may have hit the nail on the head UncleT. A devious way for the club to extort a bit of extra revenue from it's supporters!

• Ahh, I missed that announcement. Still, the point is it's an unnecessary rule which has no benefit to absolutely anyone. It may make queues slightly longer on match days, but how many people actually want to swap tickets? Surely, not enough for it to be a huge problem - and without wanting to be 'that guy', they are paid to be there.

• @prufrock_91 @mooneyman Have been out all day so only just seen your message and request. I have no say over the workings of the ticket office so things may have changed. Can only suggest that you go to the desk inside the club shop, nice and early tomorrow and seek out Richard or Lily who are full time staff. They are best placed to help.

• Changed ours over from Family Stand to the Terrace twice this year. Done on the day of the games absolutely no bother.

• @prufrock_91 It could be something to do with you wanting to move to a more expensive ticket. None of the other people that replied seemed to be doing that. In your case the club would have had to issue you with a paper seat ticket but would only have received £7 for it. An audit would show that the ticket sales didn't match the revenue, i.e. It would be £13 short. How would anyone know if the missing money was due to STH's upgrading or due to someone pocketing it?

• I've upgraded to a more expensive ticket in the past without issue, but the last time was the 14/15 season so policy may have changed since then.

• @Jonny_King Yeah, I'm probably looking too deep for an explanation. Maybe 'jobsworth' is closer to the mark.

• when people say upgraded to a more expensive ticket, presumably paying the extra?

• No, they just upgraded me. I asked nicely and only twice or three times.

• I paid the extra. I'm not as savvy as Bill!

• I would have happily paid it :)

• I have moved from frank Adams stand to the terrace a couple of times last season and was done on the day with no moans..really can't see the problem.

• I think the problem > @Aylesburyblue said:

I have moved from frank Adams stand to the terrace a couple of times last season and was done on the day with no moans..really can't see the problem.

I think the problem was that @prufrock_91 was apparently told this was not possible. You might see the problem if you had been in his position?

I regularly switch stands but have always done it before the day. In light of @prufrock_91comment I'll make sure I'll avoid doing it on the day.

Would be nice if the club kept an eye on this board and if there was a genuine question/concern they could respond.