Skip to content

With the Tartan Army arriving, Can we have a Wycombe Scottish XI

I will start you with a rather bleak choice between
Rab Douglas and Shaking Shearer for the No1 Jersey.

Comments

• Oops I forgot Jordan Archer !!

• Ikechi Anya right back
    Russell Martin and Dave McCracken centre halves
    Dave Carroll right wing
    Matt Phillips left wing
    Gary Holt centre midfield
    Steve Craig up front

Must he forgetting loads. Any left backs?

• Scott 'sicknote' Marshall another central defender.

• Jermaine McSporran (on his dad's side)

• edited November 2016

If the criteria is on their whole career rather than necessarily performances for WWFC, Neil Lennon is a shoo-in in CM.

Andy Baird upfront?

Surely no opposition manager would think to challenge eligibility of Jocky McSporran

• Well it depends on the rules - Russell Martin mentioned above was born in Brighton...

• Actually cancel that - Lennon's Northern Irish of course.

Oops

• Another midfielder Graham 'Jock' Mckenzie

• Going even further back, full-back Ian MacLean from the early 70s.

• @eric_plant said:
    Must he forgetting loads. Any left backs?

Andy Reilly?

McGinn in midfield

• May have to compromise a bit and play one or two out of position, but maybe left with

Archer: Martin, Marshall, McCracken, Anya: Carroll, Hart, Mcginn, Phillips: Baird, Craig

Not bad but I would have thought better teams could be put together from Ireland, Wales, Caribbean nations and rest of world.

Ireland:
    ?: Rowlands, Mccarthy, Bennett, Dunne: Harriman, Doherty, Doherty, Lennon: Devine, ???

Wales
    ?: ? ? ? Jacobsen: Roberts, Cornforth, ?,? : Holloway, Easter

Caribbean
    Granville: McCoy, Donancien, Johnson, ?: Grant ? ? Weston: Morgan ??

ROW
    Talia: Jombati ? Rogers, Uhlenbeek: Betsey, Moussa, Balanta ??: trotta, Kerr (sub Lopez)

Must have missed some obvious ones in that lot too.

• Off on another tangent I see.

• @DevC This is a thread about Scottish players. Because its relevant to tonight's match. You always seem do this, jump in and take over, take it somewhere else that is not relevant. I don't know why you never learn from the criticism you get regarding this.

• M3GM3G
    edited November 2016

Lets not forget this absolute legend.
    http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/mccallam-jock.htm

• Anthony Mcparland winger/full back not the finest Scotsman to represent the Wanderers. Not to forget the legendary Jock Shepherd player/trainer/physio/groundsman/supporter.

• Iain Turner sure he is Scottish, another keeper, didn't he play on loan from Everton I think? Can anyone confirm this?

• Good shout, Turner was born in Stirling, fellow Evertonian with a Scottish name Kevin Mcleod appears to be English.

• As the stock of Scottish players seems to be already pretty much exhausted, I thought it was a surprisingly weak "team". Personally my next thought was that's surprising, I wonder how it compares to other home nations and similar teams. It might be interesting to find out.

It seems that is not others thought process. My apologies.

To be honest I had forgotten/was never aware that there was an England match this evening.

• Think the fabulously talented Davie Haggerty played for the reserves late nineties:

• Is that true Mr Parrott ? cant ever recall that name, where did he come from and where did his football career go after leaving Wycombe ?

• @DevC seeing as you joined in the poppy debate last week, would suggest you must have forgotten. Or just talking bo**ocks

• He is a genuinely shambolic figure

• Andy Reilly - looked like he was going to be a fantastic player and then disappeared almost as suddenly as he'd arrived. Got the impression he wasn't actually that bothered about football - didn't he give it up to go to university or something?

• and managed by the maestro himself, John Gorman!!

• @peterparrotface said:
    Think the fabulously talented Davie Haggerty played for the reserves late nineties:

As my daughter used to say in her 'teens and twenties when I played jazz, "that does me 'ead in." (Not long after, she inflicted the likes of Marc Almond on me as retribution.)
    Did we really have a reserve team in the late 'nineties? 1890s perhaps.

• @micra - we did indeed. I remember going to watch us lose 9-0 to Fulham reserves one midweek afternoon in the late 90s. Followed not long after a by a great 3-3 (maybe even 4-4) draw with West Ham.

• Just looked it up in fact - http://www.chairboys.co.uk/onthenet/resr9899.htm. It was 3-3. And look at some of the scorers. What were they doing in the stiffs?

• @micra watching the ressies at AP or Aylesbury was a mandatory part of being a young man.

Skinful Tuesday night, 2pm kick off Wednesday, nod off, woken up by groundstaff at 4pm.

• I used to bunk off school on a Wednesday afternoon and go and watch the reserves at AP. This was about 2002-2004ish. Good way to meet the players and they were usually happy to stop for a chat.

Once, I couldn't find an open turnstile, so popped in the reception to ask and the lady behind the desk (perhaps spotting my bootbag and mistaking my school uniform for a suit) asked if I was there for a trial. I thought about it, but told the truth. To this day I wonder if that was my chance to secure some kind of Roy of the Rovers contract at WW - except I'm utter gash at football, so it probably wasn't. Plus I'd have been kicked out the changing room almost immediately.

• @peterparrotface said:
    micra watching the ressies at AP or Aylesbury was a mandatory part of being a young man.

Skinful Tuesday night, 2pm kick off Wednesday, nod off, woken up by groundstaff at 4pm.

Very odd that I don't recall these games. I guess I was too busy enjoying the early years of my retirement. I do remember going to a reserve game at Wembley in the '80s and, standing pitch side, becoming aware of just how frequently George Borg said "fuckin' 'ell". "I bet you hope they do, mate" was the response of one of the Wembley supporters standing nearby. Tickled me.