Skip to content

Comments

• Too harsh on Bean. He wasn't great but much better than a 3. I thought it was one of Hayes's worse games in a Wycombe shirt. Obviously much better than anything some of our strikers in recent seasons have produced but not up to his usual high standards.

• Totally agree, Hayes had an off day and was slow to react, which allowed the defender to beat him to Ingram's ball, resulted in a cross and subsequent 2nd goal for Accy.

JJ looked cream crackerd and Fred wasn't Fred. Plus Murphy, I expected more presence and authority, considering it was against your previous side, I'm happy to take a point.

• Everyone seemed 5% down from Saturday but the report seems to presume heavily that Accrington were simply cannon fodder. Recent results against Burton and Southend and the evidence of last night clearly showed otherwise. Whilst they looked shakey at the back I thought they showed plenty up front, especially the two wide men. Seems Bean has become the fall guy too.
    Another day we'd have won the game comfortably but in the end we battled for a point and ended the game on the front foot.

• Good report as ever, and thought the comments on Bean were very fair - he was absolutely awful last night and I don't know how he stayed on the pitch - the few headers or tackles he won went straight back to the opposition. Maybe a rest for the Luton game and see how he comes back.

Very disappointing to hear a few in the Valley booing, particularly just after Stanley's second goal. After the fantastic support on Saturday, there was no call for it.

• But I'm not sure who we would rest him for. Jombatti returning from injury and shifting Yannaris to centre midfield would be favourite, failing that perhaps Rowe?

• Murphy would be my favourite, he started the season well. although the goals dried up, I think he still contributes to the team with his physical and aerial presence.

• I'd bring Murphy in too, though Rowe covered that position well earlier in the season and deserves another run-out after his performances recently and earlier in the season. Bean is obviously off-form, despite a couple of excellent performances away from home.

• Trouble is though that Murphy is clearly way off form - his contribution after coming on yesterday was negligible. Sad considering that early in the season he was getting close to being the first name on the team sheet.

• Great report as always, four points still promo form, rest up for the week ahead and a crushing win oven Luton on the tele will put us right back up there. COYB!!!!

• Serious lack of 'lucky Saturday' games left this season...

• Bean seems an easy target to me. I don't think he played well at all last night, and that free kick he gave away on the edge of the box had me raging at its utter stupidity, but Bloomfield was dreadful last night as well and he seems to have got away scot free

• I 100% agree he is off form, but its hard to get form back not playing.

He cant be getting 5 minutes, then not featuring, then 20 minutes and expect form to all of a sudden be back.

He needs a good run of games to get form and confidence back.

• Yes hes miffed being on the bench, but wene they do that's there chance. I see others come on and really make a effort. Hes defiantly lost his mojo lets hope he can get it back soon come in murph.

• Murphy has struggled since Josh left. His goals were always from charging in from midfield and picking up scrappy headers and tap ins. He can't get far enough forward win Bean as his partner in the middle, as he has to pick up extra defensive responsibilities.

• Maybe change bean for nico or Rowe c how that worka out.

• What worried me last night was a serious amount of wayward passes in our own half, lucky not to have conceded from one.

Also a few players playing with high confidence and taking an extra player on when a pass would have been better.

And is it just me or did Bean seem to (a) be happy just to win a header and not aim them anywhere in particular, and (b) go for the same ball as someone else at least two/three times...

• I think Murphy misses PCH more than he does Scowen. Cowan-Hall's pace in behind stretched defences and left space to time late runs into, Lampard-style. Sides can defend that bit higher against us now leaving the space Murphy used to exploit a lot more crowded

• @eric_plant said:
    I think Murphy misses PCH more than he does Scowen. Cowan-Hall's pace in behind stretched defences and left space to time late runs into, Lampard-style. Sides can defend that bit higher against us now leaving the space Murphy used to exploit a lot more crowded

That's valid.

Also, good job Mawson scored, his defending for Accy's first was very lazy.

• Good report, but harsh on Bean who played well in the 1st half, before struggling in the 2nd. Also very harsh on Accrington who I thought more than played their part in an entertaining game. Defensively they were shaky, but going forward they were fast and skillful, causing us problems all night.

• @eric_plant; 'but Bloomfield was dreadful last night as well and he seems to have got away scot free'.

Not surprised because he was far from dreadful. It was a typical high-energy Bloomfield performance with all that entails, Not sure what game you were watching.

• Bloomfied was awful last night,and rightly hauled off.

• From where I was sitting, Bloomfield was the easier option to haul off, but was doing ok imho. Hayes, Fred, JJ and Bean where least effective.

On a positive note Nico, Pierre, Mawson and Wood where awesome, Holloway did exception well with his assists and holdup play. Wood, he covered every blade of grass, my motm.

• Surely the reason why Murphy isn't playing/scoring is the switch to 4-3-3. Most of his goals came from left wing crosses from Sam Wood who is no longer an out and out wide midfielder. Another contributory factor, also deriving from the new formation, has been the arrival of Messrs Bean and Saunders and the return to full fitness of Matt Bloomfield.

A further knock-on effect has been the absence of defensive cover for Joe Jacobson leading to several sucker punches recently following right wing crosses, not least on the stroke of half time last night. The diminutive No 15 for Accrington was having a field day, providing the aforementioned cross and being allowed acres of space to score his own cracking goal.

I have been disappointed with Marcus Bean (though, in fairness, I have only seen him in home games but I've been mightily impressed with Sam Saunders especially in that central midfield role, which (as I understand it) has not previously been his customary position. I too would like to see Danny Rowe given the opportunity to play in midfield.

I would like to see Aaron Holloway get more game time, possibly even starting a game with Fred coming on for 25 minutes or so and probably making a great impact against a tiring defence.

• I'm pretty sure if Sido was fit, Nico would move to mid field and Bean would be on the bench. It is a worry that Murphy is so far down the pecking order, clearly something is wrong there. Better playing conditions & a bit of grass back on the pitch might just see a role for a fit again & refreshed Max K feature in the run-in?

• I have been very impressed with Nico at right back and would continue to play him there. Both Bloomfield and Bean were ineffective last night and against a big side like Luton I would play Rowe and Murphy instead.

• Agree, but only in a 4-4-2. First to accommodate Murphy; second to tighten the defence in a side which, playing 4-3-3, has been a bit too gung-ho at times.