Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington

Comments

• Looking at the stats it seems all us. Gutted they've just scored!

• Dammit! 1-1! Nail biting as always... Better put a cuppa on, every match is a cup final!

• That was coming. We are 6s and 7s when defending. Plus it's freezing.

• Sounds like a cross between hard earned point and two dropped for not breaking through. Great to hear Holloway doing so well, Alfie saving the day like at Sarfend sweet. Looking forward to the Vital report

• Two dropped!

• Two dropped definitely, although it was a fair result. I think the top of the league chants must have gone to the players' heads, as it all went to pot after that.

• Thought holloway could of got a goal if he hadn't been pulled back, shame. Well done to all the lad's once again great team effort.

• Cracking game. I thought Accrington were one of the most enterprising teams we've hosted this season and were probably just about worth a point. We had the bulk of the chances, but their wide players gave JJ & Yennaris a torrid evening and with the amount of crosses they were getting in, they were always going to create chances. Frustrating not to win, but easy to see how Accrington have had wins against Burton & Southend recently.

• Four points from these two is ok. This'll look like a great point if we win at Luton, a poor one if we don't.

• Still feeling a bit raw after the missed opportunities tonight but there is no need for mass panic after that. Disappointing yes, two points dropped yes, but another point can't be sniffed at. 4 wins from the remaining 9 games takes us to 80 points which should be enough for automatic promotion. If we attack every game like we did at times tonight I think we will be fine.

I've seen talk of having 18 shots and not being clinical enough but the honest truth is a Saunders free kick hit the inside of the post, a Mawson shot was blocked at point blank range hitting someone by fluke, I have no idea how Mawson didn't score from a corner at the start of the second half and Wood had a sweet strike and another effort go mighty close. Not much luck there and I thought it was positive to create so many chances against a plucky and resolute Accy side (typical Coleman team). Holloway added a different dimension again and caused no end of problems despite being constantly fouled.

That being said, we were fortunate not to give a penalty away in the first half when Mawson blatantly tugged a striker back. The negatives were that JJ, Hayes and Bean had off days tonight. Ultimately though we kept plugging away and also had some good performances - Wood and Mawson particularly, with Yennaris and Pierre also deserving of honourable mentions.

Looking forward to two good followings in both noise and number at Luton and Dagenham before the massive game on Good Friday against Oxford. I doubt the PNL's will have much to play for by then so if we can win one of the two away games coming up we will be in a great place.

• Not feeling terribly relaxed anymore..... When we played the ball on the deck we went through easily, trouble as I saw it too many hoofs in the air. They had uS on the wings all night with three or four crosses going through the six yard box so no surprise when they scored a pretty soft goal. Tuesdays under the lights.....

• I'd forgotten about that Mawson miss, quite incredible! He was pretty much standing on the goal line, but managed to head wide. And yes, I thought that was a clear penalty for Accrington in the 1st half.

• Fairly entertaining stuff. We never controlled the game but that resulted in an end to end encounter in which both teams created chances. Impressed that accrington really came and gave it a go, pressing us all over the pitch and causing problems out wide. We missed several opportunities that should have at least been put on target.

• Very fair reflection of events, more than happy with a point, and we have now thrown that Tuesday Night Monkey (Home match) off our back.

Well done all.

• @Ciderk1d How have we thrown that monkey off our back? We still haven't won a home game for three years...?

• Gareth didn't get his subs right last night. Bloomfield had been buzzing away reasonably effectively until his replacement by Murphy who really looked like he didn't want to be there. Hayes is no youngster and after a hard 90 minutes on Saturday he was looking well below par and although Fred wasn't having his best game, he was causing more problems than Hayes. Plus Holloway for Hayes is a better fit than Holloway for Fred.

Like others I just can't fathom Bean, first half he looked OK filling space and making the odd telling pass; second half he might as well have been George Weah's cousin...

• LenLen
    edited March 2015

@Bluebottle I'd agree with most of that. Bean looked okay in the first half but was a completely different player after the break, with some of his headers flying off at random angles. (50p head mk-2)

He wasn't alone though. Some of our better players like Hayes and Jacobson gave under par performances too.

I thought only Wood, Mawson and Yennaris played well in both halves.

• 4 points is a decent return from the last two games. From what I have seen this season, position in the table in this League is no pointer to the team that is going to turn up against us. It's very tight and no-one is completely down, up or safe in the play-offs as yet. The defence, so resolute earlier has slipped a bit with a some complacency sneaking in and loss of form of Murphy has been quite telling. Fred for PCH was an excellent move, but replacing Josh has obviously been harder. I agree that Holloway is more of a replacement for a knackered Hayes than young Fred and that subs sometimes need to be made earlier, but Burton and Luton aside, we have a decent run-in. Everything crossed.

• I wouldn't take for granted Oxford home on Good Friday being an easy one!

• Seems majority agree for once, regarding last night performances. Hopefully a one off,

Who would replace JJ, if necessary to give JJ a rest?

• I meant decent...not easy...

• edited March 2015

Subs should have been Murphy for Bean and Holloway for Hayes. We said that at the time and sounds like a few here agree. That said, I'd have taken four points from the two games before Saturday and it was more vital that the three were against the Shrews. Little bit disappointed but I'm sure we'll pick ourselves up for Tuesday.

• The flat atmosphere yesterday must have played a part in the lads struggling to match their performance from Saturday. I don't know whether this is generally a factor for our continuing problems in winning league fixtures at home on weekday evenings, but the moments where our crowd willing the team on against Shrewsbury were contrasted with large amounts of the crowd indifferently chattering amongst themselves, with barely any reaction to the players efforts out on the pitch.

I've no doubt our away following at Luton and the players on the pitch next Tuesday will do us proud. With our terrific away form we have to go into that game fancying our chances, put any considerations about the opposition's form out of mind, and really go at Luton like we did against Shrewsbury.

• For once in a wonder I am going to be negative. Midweek; TV cameras; opponents overdue for a win; Wycombe overdue for an away defeat; Luton historically one of our bogey teams - good old Vital scoreline (1-1). Sorry!

• @ReadingMarginalista I didn't think the atmosphere on Tuesday was that flat but I was right by the drum, which isn't where I normally stand in the terrace, so perhaps I can't make an objective judgement.