Skip to content

How much is promotion worth?

anybody got an idea?

Comments

• It's worth me drinking myself into a stupor somewhere in Wimbledon.

• im sure we all will! il be drinking myself into a stupor on the way to wimbledon! do you think the club will have much of a benefit though haha

• I'd estimate an increase in the average attendance of around 500. So roughly £5,000 a game (or £115,000 a season) in gate money alone. Plus around £100,000 (estimate) in prize/TV money. Plus a nominal (£20,000?) increase in advertising revenue. My estimate would be between £200,000-£250,000 but don't have exact figures.

• You might want to ask how much will promotion costs. Players' wage expectations will be higher, we'll have to spend money on better players, maybe a slightly bigger squad - and no doubt promotion bonuses for the current squad.

Not saying it wouldn't be good - Midlander's points, also higher sponsorship revenues, etc (and I think a 500 increase is too small given the better supported clubs in League 1) - but it wouldn't come without a cost.

• Let's get there first please lads. We all know football can kick you in the teeth when you least expect.

• Not as well as Bristol Rovers fans know it though :)

• Can't argue with that one Chris!

• I'd say it's also worth pointing out that people would rather go and watch a high flying league 2 side than a side in the league 1 relegation zone. Unless it's against a 'big team', and there aren't as many of them as there used to be in that division. (That's assuming we get promoted and assuming we then struggle, both of which are not certain)

• we all need to dream! i expect bournemouth fans felt the same? im trying to look at the good points and enjoy the current situation rather than spout negative dribble :)

• Promotion will allow us to attract a better standard of player and put them in the shop window. Losing our best players for £100K here, £150K there and a sell-on clause sometime in the future is barely breaking us even. I think you can multiply those transfers by 4 or 5 if you have picked up a decent prospect who is proving himself at the level above. Naturally there will be teams whose budget dwarfs us, but there are many other sides in similar boats.

• If we get promoted surely financially the best bet is stick with the squad we have an save the cash, survival would be a bonus once in league one. It may seem unambitious but may it be there best way to bring financial stability to the club that is five years away from be sustainable?

• Agree - I think we'd have a decent chance of staying up too

• Agree. I did not see us being able to splash the cash and players like Wood, Pierre, JJ, Sido and Hayes and (if he picks up again) Murphy can do a good job in L1. I suppose if Matty goes a new, experienced goalie might be an investment and relegated teams and struggling L2 teams might be looking to off-load a few of their experienced players. I would imagine Gareth is already on this...I was surprised at the quality of players he managed to get in over last summer and they have done us proud. Hopefully, he can do it again with the promise of L1 footy. I suspect he will (have to) stick to a small squad equipped to survive again as this year and then hope for a late season push to the Championship! (stop laughing at the back...!)

• It would be a pleasure just to watch Wycombe play a season in league one and spend at least one day outside of the bottom 4.

• Preferably the last day.

• @Blue_petee said:
    If we get promoted surely financially the best bet is stick with the squad we have an save the cash, survival would be a bonus once in league one. It may seem unambitious but may it be there best way to bring financial stability to the club that is five years away from be sustainable?

That makes complete sense but sadly if we did that then the drones would be out in force moaning about the 'lack of ambition' from the club, claiming that the Trust would rather see us in non-league, blah, blah blah....