Skip to content

Wycombe's men against West Ham Boys

2»

Comments

• @ReadingMarginalista
    This is absolutely correct. The larger teams are able to operate profitable business by hoarding these players as even if they don't make it they will get loan fees and future sell on fees. (I've done it in football manager).

I presume the reason the footballing authorities aren't proposing salary caps or squad limits is because these measures would affect the profitability of the bigger clubs, now why would they be concerned about that ?

• Salary caps would be subject to challenge under EU law until Brexit is finalised, or EUFA agrees it Europewide. If the FA capped wages then in theory it would affect free movement of players. An example would be if a player wanted to move to Chelsea from Real Madrid but he was already earning more than our cap. It would also potentially financially affect our top clubs ability to compete against the likes of Barcelona in European competitions.

• Not sure I follow that logic @mooneyman . Tell me more
    The cap system is in operation in other sports in Europe and is based on total spend not an individuals earnings. Of course clubs get around a wage already with image rights but I don't follow how it wouldn't be allowed under EU law.

Squad limits are already in place aren't they in the Premier League and Champions League? This is why younger players are loaned out or stuck in U21 squads. The places available to even sit on the bench are filled.

• I suspect that the cap system in other sports has been agreed by the European bodies of those respective sports. Certainly the squad limits in the Champions League is a EUFA rule.

Your suggestion that teams should be capped on a total spend isn't really practical. If this was brought in for the Premier League, Man Utd would have the same playing budget as say Bournemouth but their financial turnover/income is probably 10 times that of Bournemouth. A similar situation would apply in our league with Accrington and Pompey.

As you are aware under EU law there is a principle of free movement of labour and restraint of trade is outlawed. If the FA unilaterally introduced a player/club financial cap the best European players may be prevented from coming to the Premier League (I accept morally probably a good thing).

Even if a cap was introduced, clubs would find a way around it by for instance Abramovich personally handing over a £20m signing on fee to bring back Gareth Bale.

In my opinion a cap could only be agreed by EUFA.

• UEFA cant unilaterally override Single Market rules. But I can t see a reason why freedom of movement rules would be compromised by a Salary Cap as long as British and Mainland Europe players were treated equally. Hard Salary Cap though really doesn't work for the inequality of income reasons between say MU and Bournemouth.

Don't really understand your point Righty. Players who have not made debut for the West Ham 1st team by 21 probably will not play for England but may play for West Ham as they mature. Conversely there may well be players currently 17 in the WH development squad who have yet to make their debuts but who may go on to play for England. Have I misunderstood your point.

Interesting to note that it was the WH Academy head who floated the idea of an England U21 team playing together every week in a league (he ranks them as championship level) with the club having the right to pull their player back f they want to play him regularly in the first team. Would need a change in the balance of power towards the FA and away from clubs, similar to that in cricket, but if we are seriously concerned about English lads not getting game time and the effect on the national team, it may be a worthwhile compromise , better than the full PL 2nd team idea. I guess one flaw may be that if that worked, pressure would soon grow for an U19 team in League 2 etc.

• I think you probably have misunderstood my point @DevC .

• Fair enough Righty. Thought I must have done. Could you explain it in different words then please?