Skip to content

Match day thread: West Ham United U21 (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• Notwithstanding the significance/insignificance of this game, great to see that Marcus Bean is recovered from injury and available to play tonight. Also with Scott Brown close to a return after he was warming up with the squad on Saturday, there are only 4 injured now (LON, MM, DS and MW).

• Tonight's game will be live on BBC3CR DAB and on Chairboys Player. We will be joined by Keith Scott. Due to the different kick off times of the games this evening, the Luton game will be live from 7.30pm and the frequencies will split shortly before KO at Adams Park (7.45). The same will happen at HT and the beginning of the second half.

Alternatively, due to the competition, if you would rather watch EastEnders then I fully understand.
    COYB!

• I feel Scott Brown is going to struggle to get back into the side. He seems solid, but Blackman is a superb keeper, very highly regarded, and I feel he hasn't even shown his true potential consistently yet.

We have been very lucky with the standard of keepers we've had over the last few years.

• Does anyone know if Blackman is still playing in Chelsea reserve games? The new loan rules state players can still do so.

I wonder if the reason he was loaned to us rather than a League 1 or Championship struggler club is because he can easily commute to both WWFC and west London.

• If Blackman is really on the reported 13k a week, it'd be unthinkable that a journeyman like Brown will get a look in.
    No disrespect, but he's the one mid term injury we've had that hasn't had the sligtest effect.

One good plus of tonight's game is getting games for players who haven't had a game for a while.
    I look forward to the beast beating up their defenders. That'll be an education and a half!

• Gape cuptied

• Brown should get nowhere near the starting team with Blackman at the club. Fingers crossed he stays all season.

• http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/October/4-October/Live-Wycombe-Wanderers-v-West-Ham-United-PL2

Wycombe Wanderers: Blackman, Jombati, McGinn, Pierre, Wood, Hardman, Row, Akinfenwa, Freeman, De Havilland, Kashket.

Subs: Richardson, Steliart, Bean, Hayes, Cowan-Hall, Ainsworth

That set of typos should keep the Gasroom happy for the evening

• Bean back good for depth

• Is Bloomfield now injured as well?

• Darren Deadman flashed his yellow 7 times now tonight !!!!!!

• now 8 !!!!

• Is there a fine for 6+ yellows in this competition?

• 1060 attendance with 160 West Ham.

• 6 yellow cards playing against a bunch of kids... we need to reign in the discipline. We used to be great at winding up the opposition under Ainsworth and getting them booked then knowing when to walk away/wind our necks in. Seems to be the other way round this year.

• the fine is for 5 yellow in a match and we are on our 3rd and the fine increases each time, I understand 2,000 for tonights match so 8,000 prize money left.

• This kind of result should really say to the big boys that EPPP is hopeless. U23? By that age they should be capable of spanking us.

• 6 yellow cards whilst cruising to a comfortable victory in a minor competition really is quite unacceptable.

Discipline moans aside though, a very pleasing win no matter what the opposition. Well done boys!

• all for tackles though which is at least something.

• Well it shows that we can't tackle very well

• It s beyond belief that 1000 people turned out tonight and yet our last Tuesday home game attracted less than 3000.

• Unfortunately it's what a Premiership name does. If it had been Stoke then I believe the gate would have been a lot less but WHU have history and have a fan base around here.

• just face it people want to go and watch the matches, there is no way these teams will ever be allowed into the league so who cares.

• I enjoyed the game last night. Ball played on the ground mostly. Fringe players given match time. Confident performance buy the whole team. Clean sheet. Lots of positives. Well done. Ps when did we ever get anything else from Deadman but a crap performance

• Surely having a game is better than just a training run out? What does it matter f the competition itself is not regarded as important? In any case I seem to have seen that supporters of those who get to the final regard it as important irrespective of what they thought to begin with.

• Seems like the club and the management are much more switched on this cup with the prize money given out. Didn't go last night but it's pretty hard to understand how a partly reserve team league two side can be so comfortable beating the cream of a top flights youth system. The future of our young talent has never been in such poor hands in my opinion.

• @Right_in_the_Middle you follow West Ham U23 setup closely do you? Who are the coaches, who are the strongest players, what system do they play? Why would you say they are in poor hands?

You mates with Tony Carr?

• i went to the game last night and we played well but we discussed if any of the west ham youngsters would be good enough to play for us on loan and unfortunately nobody shone to say take him hes good pity really as this competition was to pit the youngsters up against seasoned pros as a development but what I saw no one stepped up to the plate