Skip to content

Who's our first choice right winger?

It seems appropriate during Conservative party conference to be discussing the politics of the right wing. Specifically, Wycombe's.

At the start of the season both Hayes and Thompson gave interviews where they said the latter was a right winger and would be playing predominantly there this season. But instead Harriman kept that position there at the start of the season.

That seems to have now changed, with Harriman dropping to right back and Jombati out of the team (apart from during JJ's injury). And now PCH is back it's pretty clear he's going to be used as a striker instead of on the wing.

Who do people think is the best choice for right wing?

Thompson plays well in his natural position and has more attacking intent, though he's not so good defensively and on Sat he stopped being able to win balls after 60 mins (though it was his second match of the week).

Harriman was an ideal right winger at the start of last season but has struggled to create or score much since Xmas - however he offers us much more defensive cover and is a dependable runner. Playing him in midfield allows us to play Jombati as well, who's always fun to watch. But Bean was interesting on this on Player on Tues - he said he preferred Harriman as right back and if he were to progress with his career that's the position he needed to make his own.

And then there's PCH - we all know how threatening he can be on the wing, scoring, creating, causing mischief, defending well when necessary. If he was playing there it would also give Kashket or Southwell a way into the team to play up front with Hayes.

I guess I'm a bit agnostic on which is best, it's just nice to have options for a change.

Comments

• Thompson's been good the last two games. He deserves to keep his place I'd say

• I'd say Thommo at the moment. Has done well since we went back to a 4-4-2.
    Paris has always been a better striker than winger for me and having Harriman overlapping behind the main right sided player is always a good option

Which wing does Weston prefer?

• I pretty sure Myles Weston plays mainly on the left. Have a feeling the plan was for him and PCH to be our two pacy wide men. But I agree that Thommo has played well on the right and still has serious pace, albeit in short bursts.

• Whoops! I'm being watched. I deleted 'think' and intended to substitute 'am pretty'.

• ....double whoops - "am pretty sure". The old boy's getting tired now and needs a nap.

• Jombati is great, but I think he needs a more defensively minded player like Harriman in front of him, rather than Thompson or PCH, as he is prone to going positionally-AWOL too often.

However, I don't think Jombati/Harriman is our strongest option. Harriman is not wasted at right back. Harriman/Thompson or Harriman/PCH are better combos.

• I quite like Paris on the left too where it's easier for him to cut inside and run at the defence.

• Harriman had a hot little spell at right midfield, but i think Bean is certainly correct in suggesting right back is where he'd have his best chance at going up the leagues.
    Bit limited at right mid for me.

Which just means we're spoilt with 2 good right backs.