Skip to content

Comments

• I thought the first half was dire. Every time we got the ball it was lumped up from the back bypassing our midfield in to the space between there left back and centre back. Sam Wood on the left touchline never touched the ball offensively until over a third of the game had bypassed him.

• The big plus I felt was the presence we showed after the break. Too often we've come out after half-time like a sodden flannel, so it was brilliant to see energy and a belief we could win in the 2nd half.

• @wwfcblue said:
    I thought the first half was dire. Every time we got the ball it was lumped up from the back bypassing our midfield in to the space between there left back and centre back. Sam Wood on the left touchline never touched the ball offensively until over a third of the game had bypassed him.

The first half wasn't scintillating - Exeter were more defensively-minded and better organised than Crewe - but very harsh to call it dire.
    Certainly true that Sam Wood was hardly involved for half an hour but I think he deserved a break after his tremendous and very productive efforts on Tuesday and I was glad that he stayed wide rather than be tempted to wander inside in search of the ball - an area where he has never looked comfortable when asked to play there. But, in the 10-15 minutes before half time, he supplied a couple of superb crosses.
    Yesterday was always likely to be "after the Lord Mayors Show" but there was plenty to cheer and a win is not to be sneezed at against a side 4th in the table away from home and bearing in mind our woeful home form for the best part of a year.

• I know you love your pedantry Micra so here's an apostrophe for mayors: '. You're welcome.

• Also not sure there should be a hyphen in defensively minded!

• @MindlessDrugHoover : move to the top of the class; @mooneyman : go and stand in the corner.

• @micra :- It is also incorrect to begin a sentence with a preposition or a conjunction ("But").

• No it's not.

• Cheers, Chris. As a professional writer, I can be sensitive to criticism but I've obviously set myself up to be an Aunt Sally on the Gasroom and it's great to know that there is still a lot of love and respect for the English language. As a lot of Gasroomers know, I cannot resist an occasional foray on to the Fans' Facebook page but the level of literacy of some of the regular waffling whingers (and their negativity) can be dispiriting, to put it mildly.

• @micra At risk of derailing the thread, mind if I ask what kind of writing you do professionally?

• I have been retired for over 20 years but during a long career (40 years) in the Meteorological Office and various Government Departments I dealt with policy issues relating to recruitment, government statistics, and guidance (booklets) on various topics, including IT. I hadn't a clue what I was doing on the last topic and someone else inherited that one when I moved to my final job in the mid '80s as training manager for GAS ! Nothing to do with the Gasroom. The Government Accountancy Service. Not training as such but as part of a panel selecting existing employees for professional accountancy training. Also responsible for organising seminars and a major annual conference for about 200 accountants.
    But my best piece of writing was for the 50th anniversary Official Handbook 1981/82 of the Wycombe Wanderers Supporters Club (no apostrophes). It still makes me smile.

• Thanks!

• I am glad that Micra is not a " Fair Weather " fan.

• Let's hope that career hasn't clouded his judgement.

I'll get my coat.

• Certainly explains his sunny disposition.

• @Micra :- Conceded and apologies for bollocking you unfairly old chap. Commencing a sentence with a conjunction is a stylistic preference rather than breach of a grammatical rule. As a writer you would know best!

• @Cyclops said:
    Micra :- Conceded and apologies for bollocking you unfairly old chap. Commencing a sentence with a conjunction is a stylistic preference rather than breach of a grammatical rule. As a writer you would know best!

I'm sure you didn't rain on his parade

• It was a bit of a storm in a teacup to be honest.

• Leg pulling gone too far. Apologies for derailing this thread. Not a troll - honest.

• Weather you meant to or not, I don't think this leaves a cloud over your character.

• It"s certainly caused a bit of a tempest.

• It will blow over I'm sure

• May I declare this thread well and truly derailed? Deranged even. Who started it? I haven't the foggiest.

• All hail @micra, long may he rain.

• Hear hear!