Skip to content

The Opposition View - Pompey

Comments

• Those comments do nothing to raise the spirits! I realise that referees have been instructed to clamp down on shirt tugging, niggly fouls etc but 16 yellows in the last three games is clearly unacceptable.

I've supported the Wanderers for many decades and it is only in recent years of course that we've been privy to opposition comments other than from informal exchanges with visiting fans leaving the ground when the kind of invective we're getting accustomed to these days would probably not be voiced face to face. I'm not sure we've heard it on the scale of yesterday's comments from supporters of a winning side but we do seem to have a growing reputation as a dirty (even thuggish!) side which sits ill with our history of attractive, free flowing, disciplined football.

There's too much food for thought currently! I wonder if the worse (before better) stage has already been reached? I sincerely hope so.

• attractive, free flowing, disciplined? were you here in the Sanchez, Lambert, and particularly the Taylor years?

• I'm living in the past @PBo. I'm thinking in terms of the general ethos down the decades.

• We are the new Stevenage and only one man should get the blame for that our manager not the players who want to earn money so play as he tells them to. Lose at home next Saturday and that should be the end for Ainsworth as we will not improve while he is in charge,enough is enough and i'm sick of hearing his whinging after we lose a game when he left the younger players on the bench but starts with 2 crap players Wood and Thompson. Lose next weekend and it will be 1 win in 16 League games and how many chairman of other clubs would except that?

• Are you volunteering to pay Gareth's sizeable compensation then Robin?

• edited September 2016

@robin said:"whinging after we lose a game when he left the younger players on the bench but starts with 2 crap players Wood and Thompson".

Got to agree with you there, although Thompson did assist and Hayes did score a few, a number of us where surprised, when the oldies got contract extensions at the end of the season, and here we are now, deep in the brown stuff, if we don't improve and start getting results, before the Cavalry arrive.

It's going to be exceptionally hard digging ourselves out from relegation zone, with players missing games through suspension.