Skip to content

Sunderland bid £3m for Mawson

Sky sports report that Sunderland have placed a bid of £3m for Mawson

Comments

• Best of luck to him. Seemed like a top lad and is a top player.

Crushing to think that had we not conceded in the last minute to Southend, he probably would have signed for us, and we would have got a season of quality, ball playing defending and 3 million quid.

• Also, who is in charge of the youth development at Brentford? Madness that they let Mawson and Pierre go for peanuts.

• Doubt Pierre would ever have been a regular at Brentford. Everyone makes mistakes letting youngsters go, we are a prime example with Anya!

• Anya was injured when we let him go, to be fair.

• Now we actually sign injured players like Max Muller and Cowan-Hall!

• Good to hear someone is filtering the Sky Sports News information. For me it's a channel to stay well clear of for the next week or so with all the hype that surrounds transfer deadline. The Liverpool manager summed it up in a quite understated way today and I tend to agree with him.

“I wait for the day when the transfer window is closed because I can’t believe how obsessed you are with it,"

Good luck to Alfie with whatever happens to him. With some hard work and some good luck he could get to the very top.

• Given Jordan Ibe was signed for £15 million I would think £3million for Alfie Mawson represents real value for money.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Good to hear someone is filtering the Sky Sports News information. For me it's a channel to stay well clear of for the next week or so with all the hype that surrounds transfer deadline. The Liverpool manager summed it up in a quite understated way today and I tend to agree with him.

“I wait for the day when the transfer window is closed because I can’t believe how obsessed you are with it,"

Good luck to Alfie with whatever happens to him. With some hard work and some good luck he could get to the very top.

I always try and filter the rubbish and have a look at what looks like something that could potentially happen, gives me something to do on my lunch breaks!

• Whilst not necessarily Mawson (who has made the step up from U21 to Div4 to Div1 with ease) I do despair at some of transfer fees. Today has to be the pinnacle for me Jonny Evans £25million. FFS. Seriously Jonny Evans!!!

Moving that into a wider context. The whole Olympic / Paralympic cycle (not the 2 wheel one the 4 year one) will cost £350 million. The Premiership has already gone past £1billion for this window. THIS WINDOW.

• @Bluemoon said:
    Given Jordan Ibe was signed for £15 million I would think £3million for Alfie Mawson represents real value for money.

I think this reflects the relative scarcity of highly-skilled and creative attacking midfielders (which Jordon is, rather than an out and out striker) compared with the availability of central defenders- you only have to look at our own situation!

I was talking to a friend the other day who is a Bournemouth season ticket holder and he said the coaching staff are not completely happy with Jordon's approach at present as they feel he is trying to do too much as an individual - eg taking on Manchester United defenders in situations where he should have passed/crossed. My own view was that it might improve Bournemouth's cutting edge if he did at least occasionally take defenders on. I love the way Bournemouth play but their shots to possession ratio is remarkably low.
    But what would I know.

• Ibe might have scored the other day against West Ham if he'd shot rather than passed.

Attackers have always been priced higher than defenders.

• 'shots to possession ratio'

Is their enough maths to work out what Wycombe's might be at the moment?
    Never heard this term before and I think I'm half worried about what football has become (too stats driven and US sport like) and half really interested by the thought that this might be something that actually means something.

As League Two lurches back towards Charles Hughes percentage football is a shots to possession ratio a good thing or not?

• Shots to passes ratio at Wycombe would be very high!

• Shots? Passes? Don't tease me

• A clumsy yet neat way (I thought!) to refer to the fact that Bournemouth play lovely passing football and consistently have significantly more possession than their opponents yet lack a cutting edge. I was disappointed to hear that they weren't keen on Jordon trying to beat defenders in the final third as I thought (Chris may agree) that was something he did best. Gareth Ainsworth told me a few years ago that you can't really coach a young player with so much flair and natural talent but perhaps that refers to individual skills rather than the role of the individual in the team context.

• Did you get the impression Ainsworth said that as a good thing or a bad thing. I'd assumed in recent years we've not been able to afford that type of player and would love to see an Ibe type attacker in our squad.

I like the phrase too. Not clumsy and gave me some food for thought.

• I hope "Righty" that clarifies what I was trying to say. I love statistics (but dislike most things American). I have been intrigued by the BBC Sport possession stats for some time insofar as the losing side often has substantially more possession than their opponents. Maybe there is justification for hoofball after all but it's just not enjoyable when it isn't producing results. I'm not sure, to be honest, whether I'd enjoy it even if we were scoring 2 goals (with the occasional 3?!) per game. After all, we were playing some delightful stuff against Accrington when Bayo scored the "peak too early" goal.

• I think I saw some sort of stat last year that Ibe was right near the top of the dribbles attempted stats.
    Watching him v Man Utd he certainly dribbles a lot of the time.

Great if it comes off, but infuriating if you keep losing it.

I remember Mo Harkin being highly rated at one stage, but he had a game v Basingstoke which was pure indulgence of trying to do too much. I'm sure that can be coached out of him, whatever Gaz says!

• Without a bit of dribbling each player simply becomes a staging post on the pitch and a high proportion of play will be in the first two-thirds. That's what we've been seeing a lot of in recent months.

• Players are allowed to move you know Micra, they don't have to receive and release the ball from a stationary position

• Wolves have topped the bid to 3.5 million.

• Interesting - are they planning for a post-Hause world? Might be good for us if we have a sell-on clause...

• The two of them would make a great partnership

• Wow I'm > @Wig_and_Pen said:

Interesting - are they planning for a post-Hause world? Might be good for us if we have a sell-on clause...

Mawson was a Brentford player, on loan to us, until his contract expired (had an injury that resulted coming to us) and subsequently sold to Barnsley (u24 rules) there after, if memory serves me right.

• I think they are talking about the possibility of Wolves selling Hause.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Did you get the impression Ainsworth said that as a good thing or a bad thing. I'd assumed in recent years we've not been able to afford that type of player and would love to see an Ibe type attacker in our squad.

I like the phrase too. Not clumsy and gave me some food for thought.

Sorry RITM, missed that comment. I'm pretty certain that GA was in awe of Jordon's exceptional talent and I think the point he was making was that you cannot inculcate that ability into "mere mortals" if they don't inherently have it in them in the first place.

The dilemma for the Bournemouth coaching staff (if that's not too strong a word) is to curb Jordon's individualism without losing the benefit of his exceptional ability to take on and beat defenders. I suppose it boils down to the age old matter of learning through experience when to pass and when to take someone on.

• That kind of talent is not something you can teach. Reckon that encapsulates what GA said.

• Seems Swansea have had a £3m bid accepted now.
    Everyone wants a piece of the Mawson!