Skip to content

New club policy on pyrotechnics

http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/fans-bringing-pyrotechnics-into-adams-park-face-lifetime-ban-3224693.aspx

I'm too old and dull to understand the attraction of smoke bombs, but this does seem a bit OTT. Anyone know what the incidents 'during the current pre-season' have been?

Comments

• I disagree Floyd. Make a clear policy and communicate it. Then enforce it.

This fashion will end in tears somewhere. It already causes distress to those with breathing weaknesses. In March some numpty let one of these off in the toilets under the old stand at Exeter causing an evacuation. Fortunately that passed off peacefully but any evacuation just needs one person to panic to cause a potentially dangerous situation.

these things are dangerous, cause distress and add nothing. Sooner this fashion subsides the better.

• I don't know Dev, a season ban, even a five season ban, would be appropriate, but punishing someone for the rest of their life because they were a moron when they were 16 seems a bit harsh.

• The damage they can cause can affect someone for a lifetime so the ban seems in line.

Life sentences are rarely that though.

• I suspect in practise that a life ban may be commuted down the road if the lad involved could demonstrate that he was more grown up now, was apologetic and promised to behave impeccably. The club can judge at the appropriate time.

Communicating the life ban should hopefully stamp it out.

It is very easy not to be banned for letting off a pyrotechnic at a football match. By using my failsafe technique, I have yet to fail to achieve this in my football supporting career, I presume you too and you have no doubt seen more games than me.

• Aye, hopefully the severity of the punishment will act as a deterrent.

• Saw a smoke flare being set off at Glastonbury. No mention of it on bbc. Are they that dangerous?

• If the first 3 months of this season are as dire as the last 3 months of last season, I'm letting off a smoke bomb.
    Seriously, there does need to be some form of penalty but a life ban does sound extreme.

• I have no sympathy for any stupid **** that lets one of them off,they have been warned before the season starts so lets hope the club stays true to their word and bans them for life and give their details to the police,should go happen for away fans as well.

• Dev, punishment has to be proportionate, even if the majority of folk have no problem abiding by the rules

Otherwise you could defend a policy of capital punishment for shoplifters by saying "I have a really good way of not getting killed for shoplifting....." etc etc

• I'm not one to go into hyperbole about breathing problems and serious risk that some do, but smoke bombs are just a bit annoying and pathetic really aren't they.

• Thoughts on the smokebomb at Maidenhead?

• Not sure about proportionality, but everyone now knows the rules and proposed punishment - so no excuses really. Presumably all clubs will be adopting a similar stance?

• Credit to the club. They have clearly communicated the consequences of anyone being caught setting off any flares, fireworks or smoke bombs. Whether you agree with the punishment or not no one can complain if caught doing such things they are issued with a life time ban.
    In the past I have been critical of the inadequate communication from the club on many different topics. However, in this instance it's crystal clear.

• Am interested how exactly they will be able to isolate the culprit?

Smoke bombs seem to be released very low, usually amongst a throng of people.

• @Bluedreams said:
    Not sure about proportionality, but everyone now knows the rules and proposed punishment - so no excuses really. Presumably all clubs will be adopting a similar stance?

Bit optimistic to think "everyone now knows the rules"! It will require bold notices at turnstiles and tannoy announcements but a lot of people fail to read notices or listen to announcements.

• @mica, it's on here, Facebook, Twitter and I understand Snapchat. No doubt it will be in the programme as well. It'll be a little difficult for anyone to claim they didn't know I think. Anyway, ignorance of the law........

• The people who have intimated on public forums that they would like to let smoke bombs or flares know that they are liable to get banned. These things are hardly something you have lying in your pocket - it's a premeditated act to bring them into a football ground. Letting stuff like that off in tightly enclosed spaces like the away terrace at Wimbledon is completely thoughtless and anti-social.

• Interesting that the idiot pyromaniacs are identifying themselves openly on social media. Part of the club statement says - "This includes keeping a close eye on threats made in public forums such as social media which relate to the possibility of fans planning to bring pyrotechnics to football matches.”

• There are/have been signs on the door since I was 10 saying fireworks are banned. Its been pretty obvious since the 80's that they are not allowed in stadium.

A lifetime ban might seem a bit OTT but this ban on pyrotechnics themselves is not a new thing. I see no reason for any leniency

• It's the right thing for the club to do. The potential lawsuit if someone were hurt from a pyrotechnic incident (and the increase in insurance premiums if that were to happen) could put the whole club in serious financial turmoil. It's a case of protecting the many at the cost of a few.

• I also think that in the current climate - loud bangs / smoke in public places is likely to cause a lot of additional stress for people.

• What ban is appropriate to something that is illegal and potentially very dangerous? Should the club say 12-months? No of course not. The only option they have open to them is a lifetime ban and throw the weight of the law at any idiot that brings these things in. How on earth do these things show off any level of support when all they do is to annoy the vast majority of people at the game including the players I would think. 'WOW they REALLY support us by holding a burning flare in close proximity to others I MUST now try and win this game' thought no player ever.
    Fecking things p1ss me right off. On the TdF the amount of muppets that held them producing smoke at the peak of a mountain climb. Idiots idiots idiots.
    Rant over. Night all

• Scott brown loved it at maidenhead

• I would advocate similar bans for the many supporters in August who shun showers and deodorant before drinking in the Vere Suite.

• Unless you are adrift in a life raft drinking your own wiz and imagining your companions are chicken drumsticks you don't need a flare .The boys need to understand if I take one to a game I don't want to support the club any more ditto smoke bombs

• Can the club adopt a similar policy with those blow up bangy-stick things?

• Hope not. I'm very attached to my bangy stick thing.

• I prefer the blow up bananas!

• Four Grimsby fans have received bans from Adams Park for Saturday's use of a smoke bomb, apparently GTFC are upholding it from their end too.

• It also mentioned a Wycombe fan that has been issued with a banning order for "repeatedly breaching the club's regulations in relation to acceptable behaviour".