Skip to content

The Worst ever Dr Who pipes up again

From His column in todays Bucks Free Press

Without getting into the Howard/Beeks debate, Mr Baker really does have a short memory.
He was arguably one of Mr Hayes most public and vocal supporters and often used to throw
brickbats at those suspicous of Hayes agenda and motives.

" Iam also a conspiracy sceptic. All the evidence would suggest that very few conspiracies succeed and the reason is obvious. The people required, say, to convince a world hungry for sensation that men had landed on the moon if that were not the case would number in the hundreds. And none of them have since whispered to a loved one that it was all filmed in a studio in Burbank? None of the hundreds of NASA employees have broken ranks? No file has fallen into the wrong hands? Come on…

It is for these reasons and more that I am perplexed that some fans of Wycombe Wanderers really believe long term Wycombe resident and fan Ivor Beeks and the club’s new chairman Andrew Howard have some secret agenda for devoting hours of their time without financial reward to a club that has no prospect, even in the eyes of the most optimistic, obsessed fan, of producing a financial reward. Andrew Howard has stated that only five of the 72 League clubs are profitable, but that he relishes a challenge like that and wants to do his best for our little club. For heaven’s sake let’s welcome him with open arms, applaud him and get behind the effort"

Comments

• To a degree, he has a point.
    Surely the break up of the old format and the Stadium protected by the new, gives some room for sentiment. Why not give Howard some time and leeway with one eye wide open and see what happens? At least Ainsworth apparently likes working with him and results on the pitch are heading the right way.

• Anybody who can categorically state who was the worst ever Dr Who needs to get a life and certainly doesn't deserve to have his opinions accommodated at any level.

• I concur with the man from Marlow.

• I think Mr Baker hit the nail spot on the head. Totally agree with him.

• Baker may make a decent point but he was a massive Hayes apologist who would do well to hold his hands up and admit he was hopelessly wrong about that particular charm offensive.
    I'm prepared to accept Howard is genuine but there's no harm (unless he is very needy with a huge ego) in maintaining a healthy scepticism. Sadly, many WWFC supporters are too quick to doff their caps to any money source that waltzes by.

• Given the last 10 years, I think it behooves Wycombe fans to maintain a healthy scepticism.

• Oh, come on chaps, let's forget about the past. This is a totally different era. We the supporters are the main money source now and, if we wish to avoid descending into another period of doubt, suspicion, negativity (call it what you will) it behoves us to be forward-looking and optimistic. Forget about scepticism unless/until you uncover evidence that it is justified.

Illness prevented me from attending on Saturday but I'm on the mend and, being an optimistic sort of guy, am looking forward to tomorrow evening. COYB.

• I thought he was one of the better Doctor Who's of the 80s era. He gave the character a darker personality more befitting of someone who's been travelling alone for 100s of years.

Hopefully Mr Baker will be purchasing some shares as well.

• I have to say that I am completely stunned and astonished by a couple of the opinions expressed in this thread.

I agree there's room for different opinions around the present and future of WWFC. But I do not understand how anyone could possibly argue that Colin Baker wasn't the worst ever Doctor Who.

• He was probably the worst paid. Although Sylvester McCoy might be in for a shout there.

• In that case Mr Oakwood exile, you are as sad as ChasHarps, as like him you have spent much of your life watching a rather juvenile science fiction programme.

• I have to say I find the heading for this thread rather unfortunate concerning someone who has always been a loyal Wycombe supporter. We may not agree with everything he has said but through good times and bad, he has always stuck by the club and to call the professional abilities of a fellow supporter into question is, in my book a little beyond the Pale.

• @Bluebottle Don't take it so personal. Its an open forum and anyone can speak there mind cant they? Football, like Doctor Whos' are a matter of opinion.

• @Bluebottle If he'd got his way, we'd very shortly be playing in an oversized, empty, stadium that we didn't own. Not sure i'd call that standing by the club!

• He may have been wrong, but presumably there must have been some fans who thought The Hayes Arena was a good idea and he was just one of them, albeit with a column in the local paper.

• Probably many more than people on here might think, they might not have shouted that loudly at the time, but I believe the huge loss of support going into the 2012/13 season was at least partly due to many of these people giving up on the club, probably due to the departure of Hayes and what they might have seen as 'lack of ambition'. After all, we'd had bad seasons before on the field, but I never remember attendances falling quite as sharply after a relegation season as they did after 2011/12.

• Glory hunters. Never understood fickle support myself. You stand through thick and thin times.

• I suspect it may not be an ideological 'lack of ambition' thing. The practical consequences of Hayes leaving - eg no more money for the likes of Mooney or Tyson - may have had more of an impact of attendance numbers.

But it's all speculation - we will never know the real answer.

• I think it was the second relegation following promotion that really affected attendances, as many people simply couldn't be bothered anymore and found other things to do.

• As a bit of a whovian myself, he actually very well regarded in Doctor Who circles. He's the President of the Official Fan club and has been voted the best doctor on audio (they make audio adventures with the old doctors (Tom Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Peter Davison, CB and Paul cGann). Very good they are too.

• It's difficult to pin down any financial interest Howard has in his involvement in WWFC so far (and I don't know of any 'conspiracy theories' that have suggested as much), but the rent-seeking antics of certain individuals are public domain.

• @TwinBrother a "bit" of a Whovian?!