Skip to content

Terry Pratchett

As an old John Hampden boy myself....RIP Terry.

Comments

• ditto Ozzie although it was Wycombe Technical High School back in Sir T's day

• I think I've read close to everything he's written, lots of it more than once. I was devastated to hear the news yesterday, although it had been a long time coming.

RIP Terry

• Not sure how I've reached the age I have without having read anything by him but if you were to recommend one book only, what would it be please?

• Tough question, but if I had to recommend just one, I think it would be Guards! Guards!.

• The Colour of Magic is the best place to start I feel as it sets you up nicely for the other 70 odd...

• Whilst Colour of Magic is indeed the first in the Discworld series (which comprises the majority of his 70 books) I think it lacks some of the depth of his later books. Towards the end the Discworld series does become a bit repetitive in tone, but Guards Guards is a decent read, and sufficiently early that the returning characters are easily understandable within the context of the single book. Ook ook!

• Colour of magic to set the scene and then Mort.

• As a former JHS pupil not that long after he left, anyone know which book of his used the teachers there as characters?

• Stan Betteridge, Henry Panter, 'Boggie' Bateman, 'Gomph' Burton, Harry Ward they are all there, no sign of the wonderful Mrs Aston though.

• He was given a pretty horrible diagnosis but faced it with intelligence and humour.
    I've read a couple of his, 'Mort' and 'Going Postal' and although he isn't my favourite author they were still pretty good stand alone novels.