Skip to content

Aaron Pierre

Obviously putting two and two together here and getting who knows what but it may be of interest that Barnsley's proposed purchase of young centre back Curtis Nelson has now fallen through and they admit they are on the hunt for an alternative.

Comments

• Given his telepathic communication with Mawson, it wouldn't surprise me.

• Would be great for Aaron and, financially, for Wycombe. Not a total disaster in terms of our defensive strength either as I am sure there must be young central defenders out there that we could afford. Aaron and Alfie were great mates off the pitch, as were Anthony Stewart and Charles Dunne (at least I'm pretty sure they were a few years ago when I used to bump in to them in ASDA!). I don't know where Charles is currently and I know he is nominally a full back but he's a big guy, probably "settled down" a bit now......
    Not like me to go off on a flight of fancy like that; I think it's my romantic side coming out, wanting a happy ending to what became a somewhat sad period for two likeable guys.

• Charles Dunne was released by Blackpool in May. I don't recall having seen any news that he has signed with another team yet.

• Pretty sure he went to Crawley, might see him on opening day.

• on loan at Crawley last season from B'pool, not sure he has signed for them. Not sure Dunn is an Ainsworth type player

• Dunne could hoof it with the best!

• He was an over-adventurous full-back who tended to go AWOL during matches but certainly wasn't a hoofer and could possibly convert to centre back. I was semi-serious about the possibility that he might return. Let's hope the need to replace Aaron Pierre doesn't arise.

• Very real possibility I would have thought as long as no bridges were burned last time.

• He's a left back. Get rid of Joe? Unless he does move on of course.

• If Joe does leave I wonder if we'll see Sam Wood return to left back. Weston will clearly be first choice on the wing and after last season, Sam might relish a return to left back duties.

• He played left back correct but it doesn't mean he should be typecast as a leftback only. He also played right back and centre half during his previous time at WW and was pretty impressive in the latter position on the couple of occasions he had the chance.

Given his physical stature a move to centre-half is fairly likely as he gets older.

Good left sided centre halves are hard to find - which is why I'd expect that plenty of clubs are looking at Pierre - so Dunne could be worth a punt.

Like Stewart 12 months ago, I can't imagine there's clubs beating down his door at the minute so it could be an opportunity for both parties as long as Charles hasn't burnt his bridges.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    He's a left back. Get rid of Joe? Unless he does move on of course.

See @TheatreOfChairs post above.
    I'd be extremely disappointed (and quite surprised) if Joe moved on. But, yes, Sammy would do a good job there as would Marcus Bean at right back if Sido moved on. Sido is very much a one-off with more flair than most full-backs in League 2 but very much a right-sided full back and he didn't look comfortable at left back last season.
    Crikey, this is beginning to read like we could have only Anthony Stewart left of our redoubtable back 5! I'm sure that "ain't gonna happen."

• I don't think we'll be losing Jombati this window and I would hope, if we did, we wouldn't replace him with Bean.

One of the best aspects of two seasons ago was the high line in defence we played with four reasonably fast defenders, all confident on the ball. When Bean played right back towards the end of that season we weren't able to play so high up.

Last season our defence was set up completely differently, playing much further back and seemingly instructed to hoof it after one touch. I think many of the problems we saw last season with team set-up emanated from the change to safety-first defending and I really hope next month we'll have the players in place to allow us to switch back to a high line and playing the ball out of defence.

• Hear hear @aloysius.

• Why on earth are people touting Bean as a possible replacement for Jombati? Harriman would be the natural choice.

• @bill_stickers said:
    Why on earth are people touting Bean as a possible replacement for Jombati? Harriman would be the natural choice.

I hadn't noticed that they were, Bill. I was not suggesting that Marcus should be our regular right back, simply saying that he is well capable of slotting in there. I think Michael Harriman would be wasted there. Question is where do you slot Marcus in when we have (so far) four other central midfielders - O'Nien, Rowe, McGinn and Bloomfield? Again assumption, but I'd have thought that Harriman would play wide right and Weston or Wood wide left. PCH as an out and out striker alongside Dayle Southwell. But hold on - I've conveniently forgotten the two elder statesmen! Who'd be a manager!

Anyone reckon the trialist 'keeper is the young lad signed by Southampton from Shrewsbury last season?

• I still think Bean will generally be a starter next season in view of his ability to break up play.. He is more mobile than Bloomfield, Rowe is nowhere near the finished article and McGinn is too lightweight particularly against the more physical opposition. Beans inclusion allows O'Nien to operate further forward.

• I would happily seen Dunne back at AP. He'll be older and wiser now and I'm sure his experiences since leaving have taught him a few things about the real world. Even if things didn't work out at Blackpool (not much of a surprise given what a basketcase they are) we know there's a good defender in there.

I could be wrong, but I think he may have originally started out as a centre half. He certainly played well there a few times as @TheatreOfChairs said. I know it was only a reserve game against non league opposition, but I particularly remember being highly impressed with him at centre half against Chesham in the 2012 BBSC final.

If he's prepared to take a wage cut and bide his time on the bench until Pierre goes, I think he's be an excellent signing.

• Doesn't bean have a triangular head...?

Meaning his headed clearances could go anywhere?

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed in my playing days, we used to call it a "Toblerone" head!

• Or 50p head