Skip to content

SIGNING INCOMING! SIGNING INCOMING! SIGNING INCOMING!

Comments

• Looks a good bit of business to me. Can't believe knuckle-draggers are moaning already.

• Why hasn;t GA signed a player yet?
    We are crap. we'll never sign a player.
    we've signed a player.
    Young? Non-league? inexperienced?
    I don't need to see him play.
    He is crap.
    Why don't we sign any more players?
    We cannot attract players.
    We have signed a player.
    Old? Experienced? Over the Hill.
    I don't need to see him play.
    He is crap.

Oh sorry....I had a terrible nightmare I was trapped on the Summer Gasroom.

• Exactly the sort of player I like to see us sign - young, doubtless ambitious and eager to prove himself. Beavon and O'Nien didn't do so badly stepping up from non league.

• Too many Da(y)les involved at the club these days...

• At least he has pace unlike our 2 carthorses Hayes and Thompson. Lets give the fella a chance before writing him off before he's even kicked a ball for us.

• Good showreel, if Dayle gets the service, I think he'll do well. It's the quality behind him, I can envisage Luke/Harriman linking up well with Dayle, feeling positive with this signing.

• I know it's very early days but I wonder if Ainsworth will be looking to play a 4-3-3 with O'Nien - Rowe - Harriman as a stable midfield and Wood/Thompson - Southwell - Hayes as the attack. If we sign PCH he'd slot nicely into that front three as another alternative to Hayes and Thompson too.

• I think we need to be careful about not putting too many expectations on him. I think it's a really good signing but one for the future rather than an immediate impact. It took a fair while for Beavon to adapt to this level and we mustn't put too much pressure on him. I'd be happy with 6-8 goals this season followed by 20+ in 2017/18 (hopefully not in the National League)

• I think we need to be careful about not putting too many expectations on him.

I'd be happy with 6-8 goals this season followed by 20+ in 2017/18

• M3GM3G
    edited June 2016

@Chris Really? I want him to hit the ground running, I think he will be capable. Lets not give such low expectations, as bad as high ones. I am sure he wont be the only striker we sign, but IF he is a regular starter then I would want to see a regular scorer in double figures. I mean these are last seasons stats, No wonder we finished mid table!
    1 Matty Taylor Bristol Rovers 27
    2 Jay Simpson Leyton Orient 25
    3 John Akinde Barnet 23
    4 Lyle Taylor AFC Wimbledon 22
    5 Kemar Roofe Oxford United 18
    6 Billy Kee Accrington Stanley 17
    7 Josh Windass Accrington Stanley 16
    Matthew Green Mansfield Town 16
    9 Jabo Ibehre Carlisle United 15
    Shaun Miller Morecambe 15
    11 Marc Richards Northampton Town 14
    Liam Sercombe Oxford United 14
    Billy Paynter Hartlepool United 14
    Jack Marriott Luton Town 14
    15 Billy Bodin Bristol Rovers 13
    Scott Boden Newport County 13
    17 Luke Berry Cambridge United 12
    Danny Hylton Oxford United 12
    Cameron McGeehan Luton Town 12
    Charlie Wyke Carlisle United 12
    Ben Williamson Cambridge United 12
    Barry John Corr Cambridge United 12
    John-Joe O'Toole Northampton Town 12
    Jayden Stockley Exeter City 12
    25 Graham Carey Plymouth Argyle 11

• 20+ goals is an unrealistic expectation is my point. But yeah, if he gets eight that would be a decent return for his first season in the Football League.

• Depends how much time he actually gets on the pitch with the prolific Hayes and Thompson no doubt still being the first players on the team sheet!

• If he plays every game and gets 8, it would be nothing short of disastrous. If he plays 30 games off the bench for 20 mins a game and gets 8, it would be fantastic.

• I'm praying Dayle has a prolific pre season and bags many more in the opening campaign, earns his shirt to start and keeps, be it penalties or frail defences, just rack em up and keep us happy.

• @Chris. Yes 20+ is a bit unrealistic/over optimistic (I was keeping to the Beavon analogy). I think my point is the same as yours though. Don't expect too much from him straight off. Let him learn and don't get on his back (which, given some of our supporters, is probably a more optimistic view than his scoring 20 goals a season)

• No, throw him in, as in start him and give him lots and lots of minutes to get used to L2 football, sod being Wycomised and all that nonsense. Dayle has an eye for goal and has pace to burn around the 18 yard box and not the corner flag. We asked for a goal scorer, so Ainsworth got one, so let him loose.

• Knows where the goal is, appears to possess pace, looks a decent signing. We beat of several other clubs for his signature as well.

• Beavon has only scored 20 goals in one season in his career.

Eight goals would be far from disastrous, depending on other players scoring around him, and whether he took the penalties. My guess would be most strikers average around about eight per season, excluding penalties.

• I'm not sure how asking him to score 28 goals in his first two league season is not putting pressure on him?

• Chritiano Ronaldo has scored 260 in 236 appearances for Real Madrid!

• pace to burn around the 18 yard box

He didn't look that quick in the YouTube to me, although he's clearly very good at scoring against poor defences. You can only beat what's in front of you of course, but League 2 is going to be a big step up for him.

• Err I'm not being serious about expecting him to score 20 goals the season after this

• @Chris said:
    Beavon has only scored 20 goals in one season in his career.

Eight goals would be far from disastrous, depending on other players scoring around him, and whether he took the penalties. My guess would be most strikers average around about eight per season, excluding penalties.

Was exaggerating a little, but given he appears to be our 'we've signed him to score goals' signing, then playing every game and scoring 8 would make him our top scorer with 8 goals and would more than likely mean we've not scored many over the course of the season.

We really need to try and play with a system that encourages one or two forwards to actually be forwards, be selfish, and take on opportunities.

Is it fair for me to say that a young, inexperienced striker not scoring at least 12+ in his first season would mean he was poor signing? Of course not, but there will be a weight of expectation on his shoulders because of the way we ended last season and the fact that he has been signed as 'the solution'.

If GA has real belief in him, he needs to start him, keep starting him and keep playing him until he's learned the ropes in L2 and is able to manage defenders. No point bringing him off the bench and saving him for the JPT.

I really hope he does the business for us. With his record, even two leagues down, he is more than capable. Hopefully another Beavon rather than another Styche.

• There can't be many people around who upon hearing that their team has signed a new centre forward, a prolific goalscorer no less, says that 8 goals would represent a good season

Trying so hard to be reasonable you end up sounding ridiculous

• Only at Wycombe... Who were our last 5 15+ strikers?

• I think that would be fair if we'd signed a player with a good track record at our level, but this is a guy coming in to have his first go at league football. Obviously I'd be delighted if Southwell comes in and scores 20. But I'd imagine (as ever, I might well be wrong) most strikers don't score 10 in their debut league season. And I don't expect that he will.

• Hayes, Rendell, Beavon, McGleish, Easter?

• @AttitudeEra @eric_plant
    Have I missed the bit where he's been touted as "the solution?" I read the quotes from GA and must admit I read it as him being one to work on and hopefully develop into a regular starter rather than our new first choice striker.

"...opportunity to make his name in the EFL and develop his potential even further... I’m confident that his all-round play will benefit us....I think he could prove to be a really exciting signing for us..."

• 8 goals in a season where you usually play at least 50 games would be an absolutely gash tally.

• Jamie Vardy scored 5 goals in his first full season at Leicester.