Skip to content

The Thin End of the Wedge

Comments

• @DevC I wasn't saying it should be, I was just saying that supporters don't decide upon anything.

There are versions of Supporter Ownership where supporters are involved in more decision making processes and are engaged by that. Wycombe Trust have decided to appoint individuals to run the club as they see fit, as if it were privately owned, and that is accepted by supporters.

• As far as I am aware it is pretty much the model in place at Exeter, Pompey and Wimbledon. Cant think apart from the short-lived Ebbsfleet experiment where supporters were involved more directly? Could you point me in the right direction please.

• FC United are one.

More info on Supporters Direct website, in particularly their briefing papers.

http://www.supporters-direct.org/

• If fans decided everything we'd have no-one to blame...or offer our valuable advice/life experience/opinions to.

• Pretty sure I read somewhere that it has all turned very nasty at FC United between the purists and those who believe the club has to be more professional as it climbs the ladder. Not sure it is a great example.

Sorry I did click on your link but couldn't find what you were referring too.

• There's certainly disagreement at FCUM, but then with over 5000 members that is always possible.

The question it poses is can you expect people to care when they are not engaged. So far around 300 WWFC fans care enough to invest in the share scheme. Are those sort of numbers enough to sustain a long term future under supporter ownership? Unlikely. Is the way the club is run a factor in people's enthusiasm towards the scheme? I don't know. CBS schemes in general are for things where people are passionate about saving something like a local pub or a post office (http://www.ivyhousenunhead.com/about.php) and I suppose the share scheme is more about day to day expenditure.

I'm not saying the model should be any different, by the way, Wycombe supporters seem happy with the set up.

http://www.supporters-direct.org/homepage/research/research/briefing-papers

• Not sure I have the answers PPF. I think it is actually pretty remarkable that 10% of the regular match day crowd pay in more than they have to. I would have thought if anything that number would be likely to drop over time. Is there a way to engage supporters without compromising running the club efficiently and professionally - possibly but I am not sure what that would look like in practise - beyond the normal fan forums etc. Do you have any concrete ideas?

• Not sure I have the answers either Dev.

Concrete answers for another day when the EUROs are over.

• Are yes the Euros. Let me guess what the score is, 0-0 or 1-0 by any chance?

• Call me cynical but I suggest we'll be making our statement on the same day we announce our first signing of the summer

• "Are yes...." So you ARE a dictator @DevC ! Seriously though, there has indeed been a dearth of goals in the Euros. When Austria struck a post after 46 seconds yesterday I thought that was all about to change but 'twas not to be.
    Apologies for intruding on a serious thread.

• @WestLondonWanderer I'm going for during the England - Wales game

• Still no statement, apparently because the chairman is busy racing Aston Martins in Le Mans.

• And no one else on the board is available to make any comment in the chairman's absence?

• He probably hasn't discussed the matter with the Board.

• Hope its not a case that everybody has jumped ship.

• Is it known if there were any abstentions during the vote on the revised trophy proposals? All discussion I have seen (here and elsewhere) seems to assume that all clubs voted either for or against approving the proposals, but it would be usual for those being asked to vote also to have the third option of abstaining.

• We should all have a go at writing their statement and see who gets closest

• I reckon we'd be able to get it pretty much word for word

• edited June 2016

I think we can pretty much assume the club voted for the changes due to the silence.

Whatever your thoughts on the vote this lack of communication from the club is pathetic.

To say on May 11th that clarification is expected "in the next day or so" then radio silence for six days is extraordinarily unprofessional.

• The lack of communication is indeed the most disappointing thing. Why make a promise if you aren't going to honour it?

• Considering I've been waiting over a year for a reply to my letter to Andrew Howard, I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Sent two e/mails to Mark Burrell, Trust Director (23 February and 2 March) - no reply.
    Communication with supporters really isn't their strong point. It just smacks of arrogance to me.

• They've always been horrific at communication, I'd say the chances of getting a reply to a tweet are around 30/1 based on my experience

• Once supporters learn that they get no response to letters/emails they will stop sending them. Quite sensible policy of the Trust really!

• Id be suprised if any trust director would break rank and stray from the official line. Rebels are soon ostracised allegedly.

• Cyclops - I know Mark Burrell has had problems receiving emails sent to [email protected] - which we have not been able to resolve. If you can send your enquiry to me - [email protected] I can pass it on to Mark.

• @AlanCecil Thank you. The matter has been resolved now.
    However I notice that the e/mail address which you have quoted above, for MB, remains in place on the Trust web-site. Shouldn't it be removed if it does not work?

• @Cyclops That matter has also been resolved now!

• interesting to reread this thread.