Skip to content

What's going wrong with our defence?

Last six games we have conceded 11 goals. We haven't kept a clean sheet since Cambridge away. Compare that to our record in the first half of the season when we were exceptional at the back. What's the solution?

Comments

• It's been a bit of everything, mainly individuals having a few stutters and individusl mistakes. Plymouth we conceded from our own corner, elsewhere one/two goals from crosses which Ingram probably should have collected, a few penalties given away foolishly, and two games featured Rowe which upset our stability.

Pierre for example would normally have got a block in for Southend's second. Watch the highlights and you'll see he's visibly angry at himself.

Overall our defence has been something else this year, but it goes without saying that every player (even Mawson) will make the odd mistake/misjudgment.

If there's one thing to work on it's consistant defence of set pieces.

• It doesn't help that we no longer have Scowen sitting in front of the back four mopping things up.

• ^^ What Len says.

• Agree the loss of Scowen has significantly weakened the midfield meaning the defence is under constant pressure.

• Agree about Scowen although wasn't he absent for several games at the begining of the season? But also, it's a very young back 5, who've played virtually every match. It wouldn't be surprising if occasionally they are a bit jaded both mentally and physically.

• Agreed with much of what has been said, to which I would add:
    technically: opposition managers now know we play a high line & a pressing game and are looking for ways to get in behind
    emotionally: dare I say (of the untouchable Alfie M.) there is just the slightest danger that his youthful confidence MAY at times tip over into arrogance which leads to mistakes in the box? - sometimes at this level Alfie you just gotta hoof it..

• We had a settled midfield, but then with Josh off and Murphy off the boil, we've struggled a bit to help out the defence. To be fair, we got off to a dream start, it was bound to be more of a struggle as the season went on. Still optimistic. Agree about Alfie, a couple of times against Stevenage he was caught on the ball...

• edited March 2015

I think that Alfie's refusal to hoof it has won us far more games than it has cost us, although it is very difficult to prove my statement.

Every time a centre back hoofs it upfield, it gives away possession and invites more pressure and another attack by the opposition. By controlling it, and laying it off and recycling possession, I think we have prevented more goalscoring opportunities than those conceded when Alfie slips up.

• Wasn't Cambridge the last game Holloway played. Think the defence could do with a bit of a break, maybe give Rowe some game time and some legs a rest.

• I do still want to see what a Hayes + Holloway partnership could be like, if Fred is not fit.

• Ingrim
    Sido, Mawson, Pierre, JJ
    Fred, Murphy, Nico, Wood
    Holloway, Hayes

Id like to see that team in a 4,4,2. Never going to happen cos I think Saunders will play every game he is available but I think we are becoming a bit predictable in Line up and Tactics.

• As good as Holloway's touch and hold up play may be I just don't think we look as threatening with him in the team. I can't see how he would fit in to a team with everyone available.

• WWFC agreed I'd take Nico over Saunders every time, just what we need .

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    As good as Holloway's touch and hold up play may be I just don't think we look as threatening with him in the team. I can't see how he would fit in to a team with everyone available.

Yeah, hence the opposition defensive lineup switching codes to address Holloway's presence when he finally made an appearance, while for 85 minutes Southend were inside our half, playing keepy ups.

• I think that while Hayes was out we played far more defensively. More sideways passes, more time wasting, full back got forward less. I expect that is because we knew our attacking capabilities were limited without him in the side. As a result we tried to play a contained game, keep clean sheets and nick the odd goal. The results while Hayes was out (lots of 0-0 and 1-0) suggest this may have been the case.

With Hayes back from injury we play far expansive stuff. As a result we have scored more and let more in.

• It might just all be luck and we are trying to construct a narrative to explain something that is down to chance.

• agree with nearly all of comments especially about missing josh. he would probably have stopped the Plymouth goal but we are a young side and only suspensions have meant a changed defence , the midfield has been changed quite a few times recently so still getting use to how they can help out

• The set up in the first half of the season Josh was helping defend the defence if that makes sense and allowed Murphy to get forward, not sure I see who has filled Josh's boots, hence Murphy doesn't get games, I don't see bean filling that role, was impressed by SS and nico last home game. But do you know what, just check our GD, still mightily impressive.

• Josh departure key, both in terms of of his own contribution (the work of 2 men) and the midfield adjustments (personnel and formation) in the meantime. The turnaround at Barnsley (from relegation candidates to 1 point off play-offs) is testament to that. He has played a huge part in the transformation. Barnsley got a real bargain.

Up front, It needs a target man and a "natural born goalscorer" playing off him. Paul Hayes is supreme as the former; Fred and Mac the obvious goalscorers (with the usual provisos about injuries, resulting lack of confidence, and now of course, suspension in the case of the latter!)

Don't see how Holloway/Hayes could work but I have great admiration for Aaron. He is a real presence, wins nearly everything in the air, strong and skilful, lays it off well and is an obvious understudy/successor to The Master. I thought he filled in very well whilst Paul Hayes was out of action and showed great potential.

• @WWFC_ said:
    Ingrim
    Sido, Mawson, Pierre, JJ
    Fred, Murphy, Nico, Wood
    Holloway, Hayes

Id like to see that team in a 4,4,2. Never going to happen cos I think Saunders will play every game he is available but I think we are becoming a bit predictable in Line up and Tactics.

I am not really concerned who is in the lineup, but when things on the pitch dictate, which GA acted more decisively and make changes sooner rather than very late into some games.

Alot of oppostions Managers, have done just that and have changed the course of some games, where we were, well on top and looking comfortable.

• Back five looked pretty good today. Well done lads!

• The other team failed to score.. Seems solid to me.

• "Not much" would seem to be the correct answer to the OP's question

• Awesome performance from the defence and squad, pity a few others couldn't participate from the bench and get some game game. GA got the tactics spot on, Shrewsbury were caught off guard and also during the game, further changes to shape and formation where spot on.

Clean sheet against one of the top sides and favourites, well done lads.

• Ciderk1d said; 'I am not really concerned who is in the lineup, but when things on the pitch dictate, which GA acted more decisively and make changes sooner rather than very late into some games.
    Alot of oppostions Managers, have done just that and have changed the course of some games, where we were, well on top and looking comfortable.'

Sometimes agree, but arguably the opposition manager today made bold, early substitutions and completely screwed his team's chances.

• @Bluebottle, Most posters, get my point, I am just an old stickler for a rotation, especially as we no reserve or U21 team to ensure are squad get game time, I know it is not always feasible to make substitutions, but the guys who start, have had majority of the game to make an impact to do their magic.

• Think what ciderkid is saying is make changes wene nessisery wene legs are tired, not 3 in one to early.

• Ciderk 1d