Skip to content

Quick Quiz 2

Seven is the magic number, at least it was for WWFC in one respect in May - something that as far as I can tell has never happened before. Any ideas?

Comments

• Number of English players in the squad - discounting Bean who has played for Jamaica, Pierre for Grenada and Harriman the Irish youth teams.

• Rings forged for the short people at the front of the terrace?

• I think there have been more than 7 Englishmen in the squad previously. Naah no good.

• I was thinking more along the lines of the smallest number of English players ever.

• maybe , bet there were summers in the past when there were very few players under contract. Good answer, may be right, not the one I was looking for.

• Entirely possible, but I'm not sure if the squad would have been as small as it is now - in League days at least.

It must be pretty unusual to have no goalkeepers in the squad at all, even at this time of year.

• Fair comment. Anyway back to the question..........................

• Lowest number of goals by top goal scorer for the season?

• I wonder if we have ever had no keepers in the squad before?

• Nope Chris. Again might be right (and am beginning to wonder if your answers are better than mine!) But not what I was thinking of.

• Number of ex-Wanderers involved in Playoff finals?
    Archer, Azeez, Bulman, Mawson, Onyedinma, Reid and Scowen

• Well we have a right answer, sort of, but the question was wrong!!!

Yes the answer was number of ex- Wanderers in the playoffs but of course the correct answer was eight - I missed Reid, you missed Craig.

I'll get my coat.

• Not a bad little side that.

• This reminded me of something I noticed earlier this season.

I don't know if this is a first (it could well be), but there was something at least quite rare about the side that we put out against Exeter City on September 26th last year. Or at least one 'section' of the side.

• @Jonny_King - shortest ever appearance? Sellers on in 91st minute for O'Nien, subbed off through injury in the 98th minute?

• A worthy attempt @PBo, but that wasn't what I was thinking of.

Incidentally, I suspect that accolade might go to Gavin 'Hotshot' Holligan - I vivdly remember him waiting for ages to come on, then when he did the ref immediately blew the final whistle - Gav looked like he was about to burst into tears!

• Would have thought Matt McClure with his red card must hold the record there - ball in play for two seconds or so.

• Good shout.

• edited June 2016

Something to do with (footballing) nationality? Scottish, Welsh, English and Irish players all in the same team? And also a Jamaican, a Grenadian and a Portuguese player.

• A back four comprised of four different nationalities

• You're pretty much there @Chris. Our back four that day didn't contain a single 'English' player (although two were English born) which must surely be a first for us?

I don't know what the record for most different nationalities in a WW side is, but I reckon that team must be at least up there.

• Did Marvin McCoy, Leon Johnson and Will Antwi ever play together? They were all English born but qualified for national teams elsewhere.

• Antwi played with Johnson, but would have left before McCoy arrived.

That said, I wonder if, during the 2006/2007 season, we ever played a back line of Russ Martin (Scotland) Will Antwi (Ghana) Leon Johnson (Grenada) and Stephen O'Halloran (Ireland). This may be before Martin 'became' Scottish and Johnson 'became' Grenadan though!

• Was Tom Heaton not involved in play-offs?

• Burnley were promoted as champions, Micra.

• @PBo said:
    Jonny_King - shortest ever appearance? Sellers on in 91st minute for O'Nien, subbed off through injury in the 98th minute?

At Exeter a couple of seasons back McFlurry came on as sub elbowed their defender in the head and was promptly sent off, couple of minutes at most

• @DevC said:
    Would have thought Matt McClure with his red card must hold the record there - ball in play for two seconds or so.

Note to self: always scroll down before posting

• It was Tranmere last season.