Skip to content

Why would you buy a lower-league club?

Interesting article on the BBC Sport Website, including some coverage of Wycombe and quotes from Andrew Howard: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36266364

Comments

• You have to respect AH's honesty about not being a wycombe fan don't you? And maybe he's right. The cynic in me wants to view the part about having a ceiling with a supporter owned model as part of the softening up process. But maybe i'm wrong.

To answer the question, i have no idea why anyone would buy a lower league club. You'd probably have a better time setting fire to your money.

• LX1LX1
    edited May 2016

Aren't some of the answers there in the article? DId you read it?

• Yeh I did. Unless the guy from Accrington is printing his own money he's going to end up regretting it.

• There are benefits to not being emotionally connected to the club.

There are potential problems arising from that too. For example if you run the club from a purely commercial perspective, this may go directly against the thinking of the supporters and even filter through to the players.

Such as last season when some would have preferred the replay against Villa in the cup due to the commercial implications, rather than beating them in the first game and sending them packing.

I don't like the idea of a chairman and the manager being so close, that they effectively share a joint role.

• LX1LX1
    edited May 2016

I see where you are coming from (although still no sign of any chips mum), but I can't believe for one minute that we deliberately didn't win against Villa, if that is what you are suggesting.
    Anyone who preferred a replay was nuts, perhaps the kind of person who would make outrageous claims such as 'I'm definitely marrying a German.'

• I think we tried to beat Villa at home for sure.

However, there were discussions I had personally with supporters after the Villa game that centred around a replay actually being better for the club than going through first time.

My only desire is that the owner always makes it clear to the manager that the priority is to win, regardless of the potential effects on the balance sheet.

• Agreed, the suggestion that Ainsworth or any of the players weren't trying to beat Villa is ludicrous.

• Totally agreed Chris.

• What are you suggesting when you say, 'they effectively share a joint ?' That they openly do drugs in public like Steve Hayes?

• I think we were more than happy with the draw against Villa.

• Wow @LX1 , that's got to be one of the most libel-esque comments ever seen on the gasroom, original or v2!