Skip to content

Plymouth 1 Portsmouth 0

Went to this game yesterday, well I enjoyed last year so much.........

Enjoyable atmosphere and hats off to the Pompey fans for taking a gutting defeat so well. Cant remember last time I have been in a football ground completely sold out by both sets of fans - when was the last Wycombe match this happened?

With all the debate about playing styles, interesting to note that Argyle's "hoof it up to the big bloke and hope it bounces the right way" style was infinitely more effective than Pompey's "pass it round the back until the oppositions defence have got themselves completely organised" approach.

Yet again, sad to report the evening was marred in my area by dickheads standing blocking the view of kids and elderly people sat behind and then subjecting them to vile abuse when asked to sit down, all in the earshot of stewards who plainly decided that inspecting their shoes was a more valid response than stopping what very nearly became full blown fights.

The Wycombe match still rankles down here - a couple of times anti-Wycombe songs broke out as Portsmouth players lay on the ground so badly injured that they had to be first half substituted. Odd.

Comments

• when was the last Wycombe match this happened?

Villa in the third round?

• "Cant remember last time I have been in a football ground completely sold out by both sets of fans - when was the last Wycombe match this happened?"

You do set yourself up for a fall sometimes don't you?

• Northampton away last season was too, I think.

• Or should that now be two seasons ago.

• I thought some of the villa seats were unsold tbh. But my point was not some slight against Wycombe but noting that sell outs are rare. My memory is old and weak, but the last one I could remember offhand was crewe away in the 90s (and that may nt have been for home supporters)- possibly cup games against Norwich or West ham since? Must be a few more.

• Notable that Wimbledon also won the first leg of their tie playing up to strong/quick forwards and working the ball from there.

A combination of good hold up play and decent wide men can be effective and entertaining. Not all teams will be able to achieve success playing like Northampton and (last season) Burton

• Ha ha, does the fact that we've had runs to two major cup semi finals since then not ring any bells?

• I seem to recall quite a few turned up to see Jose's Chelski.

• Was not the Notts County game where we reluctantly clinched promotion under Peter boring Taylor a sell out !!

• @ChasHarps not sure if it could be called a sell out with the number of comps they were dishing out!

• Couple of big turn-out's in the league guaranteed now anyroad...