Skip to content

Max Kretzschmar / Ryan Sellers

I'm happy to give G.A. the benefit of the doubt but I'm sorry to see Max Kretzschmar and particularly Ryan Sellers leave Adams Park. Not going to comment on those given new deals but personally I prefer to see younger players running their socks off - especially at League Two level.

I've always thought Max has a great deal to offer and would be excellent as the forward player in a midfield diamond. He probably doesn't fit into the current "style" but I hope he makes a big splash elsewhere.

As for Ryan Sellers I don't think he was ever given a proper chance. What we will miss with him also is his long-throw. However, I'd have loved to see him given a wide right position so he could cut in and "do a Riyad Mahrez". He showed in glimpses he has a terrific shot on him and cutting in from the right would have been something different. Sorry to see him go - hope he makes it elsewhere.

Comments

• We have a much quoted "small squad", and a lot of weeks we haven't been able to field 7 subs, and Wood has missed a lot of games.

In that context, if a guy can't get 1 start, then the writing was always on the wall.
    It's a bit like that young winger from Rotherham.

Kretzch was in a different boat, and started games here and there.
    Always seemed to fall in between positions though, too lightweight for our game plan in centre mid, never a striker in a million years, and hard to see him out wide
    Shame to see a long term youth upgrade go though

• I agree with everything @A_Worboys said.

• I agree Kretzchmar hasn't quite found his position. He's clearly a talented player though and I hope he does well. I think it's probably the right decision not to keep him though, he's been treading water for a few years despite us being a small squad where players get chances.

Sellers I've not seen enough of to comment, and as you say @Malone that probably speaks for itself.

• It's a shame that house set up, which seemed to work quite well will be a bit lonely now!

McCarthy Lynch, Kretzch gone!

Thank goodness Rowe looks all of a sudden to have a real starting future again.

• I'm going to moan. Sellars never got a chance. How come we finally find a place for Rowe as the season ends!!!!!

• When I did see Sellars play, he didn't look up to scratch at all. Woody didn't have a good season by any stretch, though Sellars seemed second best to him. He gave his best when he did come on, though he's the sort of player we can't afford to carry.

I'm sad to see Max go, he's a player with a lot of talent and may yet have a good career in the professional game. Sadly he just couldn't impose himself on games, and kind of reminded me of Martyn Lee, another player whose slender physique maybe prevented his undoubted talent from being expressed in the professional game.

• I assume @johnthehair you mean Ryan SellErs (as presumably you do too @ReadingMarginalista).
    I personally have no difficulty whatsoever in understanding how Danny Rowe finally got a place. He was rightly loaned out a few months ago in order to get experience playing in midfield but unfortunately incurred a hamstring injury. He came back for treatment and recuperation and only then was he deemed fit enough to take his place in the starting line-up. He's only 20 but already looks a great prospect. His height (6'2") is also a plus - he can play as a central defender (and had done for us on occasions of course).

• of course @micra - that was written in too much of a hurry to corroborate with Google!

And I totally agree with you re: Danny Rowe, there promising glimpses of what he could do at Pompey (unfortunately, or maybe fortunately I didn't see the Accrington or PNL games) and he could be a real asset if he can get match fitness.

• I don't think Sellers was ever given a fair chance so can't comment, baffling given Wood's awful form though.

I think the release of Kretch will come back to haunt us, by far our most creative midfielder but he was never going to fulfill his potential in such a defensively minded team. Certainly capable of being a regular at League 1 level if utilized correctly

• I think it's quite telling that some players can play multiple positions and this is considered an asset but with Kretch it's considered his downfall. I think that implies he's not really good enough in any of the multiple positions he has played. Sad to see him go but I really thought this season was make or break for him and so it's proved.

• Surely if a guy who sees Sellers in training every single day, doesn't think he's up to ONE start in a 50+ game season, where Wood has been poor/injured a lot, that speaks volumes.
    I don't understand how people don't get that.

With Kretzch, it was interested he wrote he was "happy" with the decision in his leaving note, so always the chance he could have stayed on a similar bench fodder role, but actually wanted out himself.

• Surely if a guy who sees Sellers in training every single day, doesn't think he's up to ONE start in a 50+ game season, where Wood has been poor/injured a lot, that speaks volumes.

Maybe because some people saw him come on and deliver accurate crosses with a decent bit of skill, only to not get a start the next week, in favour of either an out of form Woody or someone randomly being played out of position and failing to have a single impact on the game.

Of course, I do understand how people don't get that, but posting nuance seems to be very unfashionable these days.

• I felt Sellers should have got a run out earlier in the season when Woody was going through a particularly sticky patch, though when I did see Sellers a bit towards the end of the season, he didn't look up to scratch at all.

• @drcongo; wow another post, i totally agree with. That's been the situation from the off. Fringe squad players get a token game/minutes and are immediately got to make a big impact, having no reserve or regular arranged games, so it's a difficult situation to be in.

I personally wouldn't entertain joining a league club if they didn't have a u21/ reserve team setup if I could. Injuries and such, are part and parcel of modern football so not having the time to address match fitness, must and looks daunting to those who are not close to the Manager. Then again join a Club whereby you do have the kinship and history.

• We'll have to agree to disagree on those who rated Sellers, as to me he looked nothing but completely out of his depth at this level (unless it was in the very distant aways I didn't have the heart, time or inclination to go to where he performed well of course)

Do agree how hard a position it is for the likes of him though. For all the talk of small squad, and "anyone" is only a step away from the team it's clearly not true. There's been a small handful these last 2 years who you knew it's take a disaster hitting the squad for them to start.

• A lot of fans have different opinions on players, I think Thompson is garbage and rather Stellers any day, that's just me.

Hope to be proved wrong (doubt it), but with Thompson and Hayes upfront next season, doesn't fill me with much confidence.

• The classic past it v never was debate.

• edited May 2016

Strange how it is ok for you to call one of our players garbage, but you went balistic when I previously criticised your darling Holloway!

• edited May 2016

We will see next season, how your beloved Thompson fairs won't we. When we struggle again to score, there is no one else to point a finger at, unless the next prodigy striker gets your attention.

@mooneyman; You may or may not check the Wycombe twitter, but there is many more, who share my view of Thompson. Still Chuckle at your "what has he achieved comment" and you came back with Hayes and Bean with one medal more lol

• @Ciderk1; I am no fan of Thompson, I was just pointing out your blatant hypocrisy in criticising players.

• If you can't beat them, then join em.

Ainsworth's faithful who had a terrible 2016 played the lions share, all given new contracts. It's clear as day, with Hayes, Blooms and now Bean, likely the biggest earners.

So I hope not hear any excuses next campaign, when by Xmas the oldies are knackered and we don't hit the press with small squad syndrome and no cash but continue play the same faces hoping for a different result.

• Do you really think Bloomfield is anywhere near the highest earners? Or did you phrase that wrong?

• Bean is not exactly old at 31 and he did not have a terrible 2016.

• It's lazy generalising nonsense.

Thompson is worryingly clapped out, but he's already 35.

Bean, Bloom and Hayes have a good few years until either that age, or being as clapped out, although I'm also a bit worried that Hayes didn't really seem top level fit for most of the season.

• With Wood (with his extension) there is a theme developing with type of players we kept and I still think it's going to be in your face style of play. Apart from hoofing as neither Hayes or Thommo can jump and Bean isn't required to head the ball to team mate, so hopefully no more launching.

Anyway back to Sellers. Sellers for me was at least exciting to watch and not just his throwings with little game time he had and I hope he finds a club who will give him a fair run and the ofc the same to the others we let go.

• Disappointed to see Sellers go as thought with a run of games he would really develop as the few occasions I did see him he had some nice touches and actually looked up before crossing

• I can see the thinking that a poor run for a 'young player' could end up with the crowd on his back...and destroy him...but sellers always looked up for it to me and should have been given a run when Woody was crocked. When a player gets injured in the position you favour and you still cannot get on the pitch...that must be disspiriting.

• I have heard from a good source that orient are interested in sellers! Good move for him.

• That'd be quite something if that happened.

Although as they presumably have a reserve team, he'd at least get some regular football. Must be very hard to be on the fringe at Wycombe, getting at best a few mins a week, and at worst nothing competitive.

• Sellers didn't show much promise from what i saw of him. From my understanding Max would have left even if we offered him a new deal due to wanting first team football. Good luck to them both.