Skip to content

Second half performance

One thing I will touch on quickly is how terrible the second half performance was by us. I had admitted defeat when we equalised out of nowhere. How did it get so bad in the second half?

Comments

• Varying opinions on this forum, but GA covered it in his post press interview.

• It wasn't terrible, just unimaginative. The problem as I saw it was Ingram's constantly pumping the ball upfield which usually meant straight to their defenders. In my view it would have been better if he'd fed the ball out to the fullbacks but with Southend pressing us high up the field, this would not always have been easy. You sometimes have to remember that there is another team on the pitch who also want to win the game...

• Wasn't at the Southend game, but the away fans concensus is that in the second half the ball the ball wasn't sticking upfront and we had no outlet. The commentators expressed the same views as the fans, but nevertheless we stuck with it. Hopefully when changes are required or necessary, they are made and not leave it to the last 5 minutes in the game.

• The long punts from Ingram kept coming back because we weren't able to hold the ball up. As others have said, it was crying out for the introduction of Holloway in place of Craig.