Skip to content

Can we turn Adams Park into a fortress for last six home games?

Six home wins, including one against Shrewsbury, would surely secure our promotion.

Our home form as been poor of late. However, if we can now go on a run of home wins together with 6 or so points away from away games would surely get us across the line for automatic promotion.

Can we do it? COYB!

Comments

• Be nice wouldn't it? Apart from a period under Sanchez, I can't remember us ever being that secure at home. Would need the crowd to step up a level - not easy for us reserved Home Counties types...

• 80 pts should be enough to finish third. That means 5 wins and a draw or 4 wins and 4 draws. 6 wins would definitely be enough to go up.

• Rather than everyone sitting round baffled at our consistently poor home form, which has been the case for years and years, I think the club should try out some new things. They might seem small, but what we do at the minute isn't working, so what's the harm?

I suggest always putting the away fans in the corner like at home to Dag and Red whenever possible. This limits how their noise projects across the game, and the opposition team never end up shooting towards their own goal.

People will attack me here for being too "American", but I also think a designated singing section of the family stand could bring together everyone who is keen to improve the atmosphere on that side of the pitch.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. At least we tried something new.

• I like that idea bill. Unless teams bring over 400+ stick them in the side

• We could do a Wasps and record some chants and then play them over the speaker to get the crowd going?

• @BillStickers: "I also think a designated singing section of the family stand could bring together everyone who is keen to improve the atmosphere on that side of the pitch.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. At least we tried something new."

I'm up for starting the Singing Adams Family Stand Section this Saturday, bringing the kids over from Norway and not afraid to start chanting!

Where in the stand should we sit? Am thinking front and centre unless advised otherwise.

• @NorsQuarters is this your first game at Adams Park or are you an exile returning to Wycombe?

• @MightyWanderer 'We could do a Wasps and record some chants and then play them over the speaker to get the crowd going?'

Rather toss off my old man thanks!

• @Bluebottle We'll never be brilliant at home while certain sections of the crowd seize on the first mistake by any of our players, thus making the atmosphere tense, unpleasant, and difficult for the players. Alternatively, when things are going well, the same people just sit there like dummies without showing any enthusiasm or encouragement.

I know I keep harping on about this but I do believe this is the main reason for the relatively poor home form, both this season and several other seasons in the past.

• Agree with you but I'm not sure we are unique on that score. All clubs have a minority of supporters who just like a good moan and if this reaches the pitch, it can be very counterproductive.

• So is there a way we could start a 'Push for Promotion' campaign and maybe get banners etc and get the fans really behind the team? Maybe we can have some special merchandise that would allow the club to make a few quid out of it. Come on let's go for it!

• @StrongestTeam I agree about the tinny music just before KO.

The terrace do a good job of singing a song for each player in the starting XI, and it is just drowned out by some dreadful song on an even more dreadful PA system.

• Sadly not available for fortress-making on Saturday...Mrs W decided a ticket for a football game (however important) was not a suitable (cough cough!)th birthday present. I will be there in spirit.

• Usually get to three or four matches in the season, standing in the terrace at AP. First time with the kids, thought I'd choose the Family stand to ease them in.

• Wendoverman, might have a spare ticket Saturday, seen that I can get a family deal with two adult tickets of which I will only use one. let me know.

• @BillStickers said:
    MightyWanderer 'We could do a Wasps and record some chants and then play them over the speaker to get the crowd going?'

Rather toss off my old man thanks!

Laughed then snorted then tried to explain it to my wife v funny

• @StrongestTeam Bend it like Beckham wasn't it?

• Tannoy tried to tell fans what to sing.

Fans ignored Tannoy and sang something completely different.

Tannoy persisted only to have same result before giving it up as the bad idea it was.

Heroic scenes.

• Thanks Nors...but I fear the suggestion may lead to unpleasant scenes...

• Just seen the play off final is on my missus birthday, it means I'll have to ale her if we are there and not automatic but it's the life she chose. Wendoverman....grow a pair.

• And btw I sit in the FA stand, block S and sign (mainly solo solo solo) every game. Yes I'm the drunk (but relaxed) guy down the front. COYB

• Bloody auto fill on the iPad, I meant to say "I'll have to take her" grrrrrrrrr

• Grrrrr just read that I sign at every game, probably right but meant sing.

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed - "aling" her might be the answer. I recommend Old Peculier.

• This 'fortress' word gets banded around every time we go undefeated for two home games.

The last time I can remember anything resembling a fortress was probably during one of the boring Peter Taylor seasons...

• Agree that the Peter Taylor era (L2 version) was probably the last consistently strong home form we've had...but I think the same resolutely negative "play for the 1-0" tactics were favoured regardless of the venue.

I don't have a downer on Taylor and I always think that those who would do down managers that got us promoted (Waddock is the usual favourite) have no perspective. But that said, the Taylor era was one of the few times that I would rarely feel any real sense of joy when we won, such was the negativity on show.

• Pretty good atmosphere yesterday, sitting in the wing of the main stand so got some disapproving looks from those sitting close by but now the kids know what its all about we'll be in the terrace next time.

Towards the end there was volume from three sides of the ground but it took that nail biting finish to get them going. We almost need missionaries from the terrace going out to other parts of the ground to get them going!

All in all, fantastic win and followed up with the same on Tuesday... wish I could stay but straight back to work, kids to school... Enjoy the match and SING UP THE BLUES!!!

• Have never understood this self flagellation about our noise at home. Go to virtually every other ground in this division and the home fans are silent. Sounded good yesterday - credit to everyone.