Skip to content

Silver linings

2»

Comments

• And, one question, which club would you like most to see relegated to non-league, Col U? MK? PNL???

• I missed out on the early nineties shenanigans, but experienced my first Blues v U's game in 1999 (when we beat them 3-0 at AP) and remember those games being very feisty and having a real edge to the atmosphere. Also remember some very bad-tempered night games at Layer Road where the police and stewards in the barside certainly earned their pay quelling the mini-riots that started when we scored.

The rivalry has undoubtedly lost it's edge since the nineties, but I seem to remember both sets of fans still getting fairly excited when we last played them (2012?) Possibly the Hand of Gaz goal has helped stoked the fire slightly.

A lot of the most recent league meetings between the sides have been fairly turgid 0-0/1-1 draws, but with both sides no doubt looking to go up next season, hopefully we'll see a couple of good ding-dongs, perhaps a chance to finally get proper revenge for 1992. Failing that, given how awful they've been this season, hopefully they'll continue to struggle and have difficulty adapting to life in L2 (as many relegated sides do) and we can really turn them over a couple of times.

Just hope we don't have to play them on a windy day...

• I am 25, so perhaps I am still just about qualified to comment on the feelings of younger supporters regarding this rivalry.

I always knew since supporting Wycombe in 2001 that I was supposed to dislike them, but I've struggled to actually summon up much animosity. They're just a bit too far away and we've hardly played them in competitive matches for the last 8 or so years. I remember a very drab game at Adams Park a while back, perhaps it was in a cup?

Maybe a prolonged spell in the same league will help rekindle it, in much the same way that I feel tensions between us and Oxford have risen a couple of notches in the last few years.

• I think it's easy, in the absence of a game against them for a while, to forget just how loathsome a section of their support can be, and I imagine that contingent will be out in force next year.

• They might be attacking us with walking sticks.

• Col. U comments seem to have bifurcated between this thread and Pompey Matchday - or vice versa. Which thread am I on? Heeeelp.

• The threads are 2k all. Typical!

• Westley getting sacked was a nice touch as well