Skip to content

Alty 2nd leg 25 years ago

Still my most magic moment as a Wanderers fan, when you finally realise the dream of your
team getting to Wembley.
As per usual the original Gasroom has done a cracking feature.

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/1990-1991/1991_04_13_altrincham_sf2_photos.htm

And a real treat is Steve Pearts collection of photos from that day.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chairboysteve/sets/72157664706532943

Comments

• I'm with you on this one Chas. My favourite moment as a Wycombe fan, having lost out at Hendon and only leading 2-1 after the 1st leg I thought I would never see Wycombe at Wembley.

• Looking back, it was a fairly comfortable victory in the end (4-1 over the 2 legs), but it felt anything but comfortable at the time. I don't think I've ever been so nervous and on edge as I was watching Wycombe that day. The sheer joy of of seeing my home town team reaching Wembley for the first time in my lifetime is something I'll never forget.

• It's easy to forget how good that Alty side were. If I remember correctly they were running away with the Conference and were clear favourites against us, even after losing at AP. After their defeat they capitulated and failed to win the league, which was won by Barnet I think, with Col U 2nd. (Which set the scene for the next season and our rivalry with them). Beating Alty was one of our best ever results and easily one of my best away trips, up there with Leicester.

• What a game that was. Got the last terrace ticket queuing at AP on a Sunday morning.

Sang all the way home in my mate's Talbot Samba.

Abiding memory is that clown Mark Hughes for them missing a sitter and trying to goad us about it. What was he thinking of?

• 100% agree with the comments. It was one of the best away days and probably at the time the greatest for me. Great pictures, sometimes we sort of forget how big the occasion was. I think if we had of been able to we would have sold the whole ground out! Mckenna is a Wan@@er!

• That was one of my first solo away trips as a young teen.

I remember wondering where all the 'water' flooding down the terrace was coming from. I wish I hadn't had turned round to find out.

What a fantastic game though and i'd forgotten what a great pantomime villain McKenna was. I doubt he'll ever forget his return to AP the following season with the Valley in full voice to remind him of that semi final result.

Happy days indeed.

• I'd have the Ken McKenna of the early 90's in preference to any of our current forward line.
    Superb player and unique character.

• Disappointing to see the Mexico 86 flag was made upside down

• Chas agree again Ken McKenna was a top quality player. He was (and may still be assistant at Morecambe when I was doing the half time penalties a couple of seasons ago. He seemed amazed that I remembered him. He was really pleasant and keen to talk about his playing days.

• Mmmm, picture of my good self jumping around like a lunatic on the pitch after the game, at 43 years old!!

• Nice Jacket and slacks, you are dressed as if your going to a posh Country & Western event, rather than a Trophy semi final @marlowwanderer .

• I didn't have a ticket for the game, and wanted to see a game, so went over to Aylesbury as they were playing at home. I think it was Marlow they were playing. I recall hearing that West had scored and having to stop myself celebrating in earshot of a group of Aylesbury fans. Found out the final score when we got back to the car in the nearby housing estate afterwards. A passer-by got a shock as he walked past the car as the final score was read out and three people inside it went nuts. A great day even if I wasn't at Altrincham.

I certainly have fond memories of Ken McKenna. A decent forward for the level, and certainly someone Wycombe fans loved to hate. It was a nice moment after the Trophy final in '93 when McKenna had played for Runcorn, and both he and the Wycombe fans applauded each other (to be fair they may have been a few insults still thrown his way, but there was some respect there as well).

• My favourite memory of Ken Mckenna was in the 5-1 victory over Runcorn that gave us the league title.
    Scotty put us one up, and we then missed a number of chances, Mckenna took great delight in equallising, we then went straight up the other end to put us 2-1 up.
    An absolutely furious Ken went beserk at his back four, even delaying the kick off for the volley of abuse he was hurling at his team mates. He spent the rest of the game playing with a very angry frown on his face.