Skip to content

Rowan Liburd loan extended

Until end of season, inc playoffs

Comments

• That could be very important. Hope Wycombisation brings out a little more aggression. Or should I say ugliness?

• I'd say his total lack of goals means he's already fully Wycombised.

• Firstly couple of games I thought this guy could be the answer to our play off push. More recently he barely showed when on the pitch.
    Maybe a classic case of needing a goal. Any goal.

Maybe another case of a striker seeing the two sacred cows up front and thinking what do I need to do ?

• No striker in the world will score more than 2 or 3 goals in a season with no chances being created. Our problem lies in the fact that we set up to keep it very tight defensively. We do this well, but create zero chances of scoring ourselves. If we set up to attack more, we would no doubt concede one or two goals in the process, thus defeating the whole idea.

We really need to find a way to play that allows us to take the pressure off at least two players defensively, allowing them to think only about positioning in an attacking sense. Thommo, for all his criticisms, is really good at pushing right up to be in line with their last man, allowing for a quick outlet upfield when we regain possession. He's created more one on one opportunities this season than any other striker in our recent history. But he can't do this if he is told to join in as a midfielder when we lose the ball.

• Not much he can do with 2/3 up front, spare ..... @ a wedding.

• @drcongo ah the gallows humour! I did laugh, until I realised it's no laughing matter!

Makes sense though. He must be a million miles away from Reading's team, so with 1 month of the season left (hopefully more!), it makes big sense to stay here!

• Will come back to this in a few weeks time and see how many minutes he has played. Hope I'm wrong and he scores a few, or will he just be another bench wormer.

• When Sam sits next to him, is he a bench Wood- wormer?

• I really enjoyed that DevC. Brief and witty.

• The thing about us being set up to defend from the front, shouldn't preclude us from attacking and creating chances. There's plenty of teams that do this well. The problem we seem to have is that as soon as we gain possession, instead of looking up and keeping possession while everyone gets into position for attack mode, we panic, run around like headless chickens and punt the ball as far forward as we possibly can. From every position on the pitch.

What makes this extra frustrating is that we know it doesn't need to be this way, even with the current squad. For 70 odd minutes at Villa Park we did exactly what we're all crying out for every week - get possession, keep possession, get in position, attack with purpose. Didn't get us a goal, but it was a joy to watch and it was against a bunch of millionaire Premier League* players.

* Factually correct, however shit they are.

• I think @drcongo puts his finger on what has been so frustrating about this season. I'd say actually the Millwall match was what's pissed me off the most. We were brilliant - stroking the ball around the pitch, defenders playing it out, keeping it on the turf, clever little runs from the wingers and Holloway, midfielders who didn't give an inch. We totally outclassed Millwall - we were playing football just as good as when at our pomp last season. And then the next week it was back to Holloway on the bench, long ball out, no one able to hold it up etc. This current squad are capable of so much more than they've been able to display this season and that's why I get annoyed when people like Dev say we're overachieving. Absolute bollocks. That attitude suggests such contempt for a bunch of talented footballers, who must be frustrated themselves they've not been able to show what they're capable of in the current system. If Gareth really wants to let them "off the leash" on Saturday all he needs to do is tell Allsop to roll the ball out occasionally and let the defenders have more than two touches. The rest will sort itself out.

• We are overachieving on our budget. That's a compliment not a criticism to the talented but small and relatively cheap squad that we have.

• Enough with the rubish overachieving... Excuses excuses. Leicester, Burton are overachieving? They still play Loveky football unlike us who play boring football which belongs in the 60s

• @aloysius said:
    I think drcongo puts his finger on what has been so frustrating about this season. I'd say actually the Millwall match was what's pissed me off the most. We were brilliant - stroking the ball around the pitch, defenders playing it out, keeping it on the turf, clever little runs from the wingers and Holloway, midfielders who didn't give an inch. We totally outclassed Millwall - we were playing football just as good as when at our pomp last season. And then the next week it was back to Holloway on the bench, long ball out, no one able to hold it up etc. This current squad are capable of so much more than they've been able to display this season and that's why I get annoyed when people like Dev say we're overachieving. Absolute bollocks. That attitude suggests such contempt for a bunch of talented footballers, who must be frustrated themselves they've not been able to show what they're capable of in the current system. If Gareth really wants to let them "off the leash" on Saturday all he needs to do is tell Allsop to roll the ball out occasionally and let the defenders have more than two touches. The rest will sort itself out.

Wow most spot on comment I've read.

• @aloysius; good post and fully endorse. So many times things are changed to suit certain individuals that are detrimental to others play style and positions. Anyway, we are where we are (thanks to Ainsworth, still up there) and have got our points haul, even though our style of play has been awful up front and around the middle of the park with the backs traditional hoof. Until we attempt to play from the back, starting by Allsop rolling it out a few times, otherwise nothing will change. Let them loose with no restrictions we ain't going down.

• Just get it on the ground to McGinn and he'll get us going!

• I agree, we are not overachieving we are just playing dross football and it needs to stop as I for one and I know others would not be sad to see the back of GA and his get it forward quickly football.

• I for one and I know others that would be sad to see him go.

• @Chris is it fair to say you prefer direct football?

• open your eyes Chris.....are you Andrew Howard

• I certainly prefer seeing Wycombe win, which Ainsworth seems to be rather good at.

I enjoy watching the sterling work of Pierre, Stewart and McCarthy at centre back this year, and the absolute class of Mawson last year.

I loved the way Scowen and Sam Saunders could dominate a game from midfield in totally different ways.

I like to watch Paris Cowan-Hall, Michael Harriman and Garry Thompson beat defenders for pace, and Ugwu dominating in the air like he did at Accrington.

I don't particularly like any style of football, I don't gain any more pleasure from seeing us passing the ball around in midfield retaining possession than I do from watching our midfield harrying the other side into making a mistake. I'd rather watch the dullest Wycombe 0-0 draw away at Notts County than Barcelona v Real Madrid. I don't want to watch us lose 6-0 to Huddersfield again though.

• I'd quite like to be Andrew Howard. I could retire and eat ice cream all day.

• seeing as you live up north I doubt u see many games at home, I for one travel 260 miles round trip to a home game every single week and I really expect better for a serious outlay which runs into thousands of pounds per season on tickets, fuel, food and overnight stays.

• Blimey @rmjlondon - inappropriate moniker then or do you have a faulty satnav?

• You are quite correct that I only watch a handful of home games each season, plus any away games that are vaguely up north.

I don't think you're likely to get any better if Ainsworth leaves. And I'd suggest taking a more direct route to Adams Park.

• Back to the original topic of this thread: I do hope that, if selected to play against York, either from the start or from the bench, Rowan Liburd comes on with a bit of fire in his belly, shows some determination and does his best to get on the score sheet. His promising showing at Newport, coupled with the videos from his U21 performances, indicated a lot of promise, which has yet to be realised. I even had sufficient confidence in his abilities to put cash on him to be first goalscorer on his first four outings with us, but, as he appeared less likely to score each time, I stopped that.

IMO his performances since the Newport match were not good enough to deserve extension of the loan and, had the loan window not closed already, I would have preferred for him to go back to Reading and for another loanee to be given the chance. As we clearly need bodies, however, and extension of an existing loan is the only option open, other than finding someone who is not under contract to another club, keeping him at Wycombe is probably the right thing to do and, hopefully, things will come together and he will show us that he is capable of better than we have seen so far.

• Note: Contrary to my previous post, I now realise we have passed the last date on which we could sign "someone who is not under contract to another club" and play them during this season - I can't keep up with how quickly this year is passing!

• The no money line is tiresome. We know we are not swimming in cash but compared to SOME other league 2 clubs we marginally worse off. It's not an excuse for a week in week out style of football. If we were playing against a team packed with class and skill fair do's but we are not. On a day when we celebrate 15 years since the LFC game I don't recall us playing aimless shite against a team a million miles away in terms of cash and skill.

• 260 mile round trip rmj? Every week? I need to check my season ticket! I thought you were a local who had the inside track of what was going on at AP. I assume all that travelling to see a team you find it hard to say anything positive about is what gets your goat so much. Liftshare with 'dogshit football' bigred87 by any chance?

• I actually travel a bit further than Richie Mayes and I would not like to see GA depart. Yes, we play some old crap but sometimes we do play some decent stuff.

I do believe that we punch above our weight. And while I hope for better, I'm glad we're not heading out of the league too.

During discussions like these I always like to remember Charlton fans calling up 606 to moan about Alan Curbishley's inability to deliver European football. How did that work out?