Skip to content

Tom Elliott

It's been a long time since Aaron Pierre has struggled as much against a centre forward as he did
against Mr Elliott on Sat (probably Mansfields Matt Rhead last season).
I remember Elliott causing endless problems for our back four last season at Adams Park for Cambridge.
But it was also very noticeable about his lack of composure in front of goal, when he wasted a number of opportunities
that day. Speaking to a couple of Don's fans after the game, they confirmed that is still very much his weakness.
But at 25, if you could find a fox in the box to feed off his knock downs, i doubt there are many better mobile target men in this division than 'Towering Tom'.

Comments

• We have plenty of strikers that are capable of scoring, if we were missing chances then it would be another story. We simply don't create anything. Hayes we playing the 'Bean' role on Saturday sat in front of the back 4. Its hardly surprising we don't concede we have 10 defenders.

• Must admit...I gave up trying to work out the formation we were playing and the position the players were in a long time ago...

• I like to think that our defence are a quality set.
    But I have the niggly suspicion it's a little like Van Gaal's United. Have the best defensive stat, mostly because of the tight style and lack of attacking threat. Loosen the attack up a bit and you most likely find the defence isn't actually as strong as we thought.

Imagine how ugly our team would be with Elliott up front on top!

• Care to explain what you are going on about with your last sentence @Malone
    I am guessing you are not talking about physical appearance so how would we be a more ugly side swapping Elliot for any one of our current forwards.
    I think our current style needs a stronger point of attack and that is what we have been lacking.

• It doesn't have to be ugly it just has to be appropriate. I can't say that I hated the football when we had Andy Rammell or Tommy Mooney up front and both of them could be described as blunt instruments. However playing with two guys who are not good as hold up men and hoofing it to them is madness.
    Ironically the best hold up player with his back to goal is currently injured at Oldham.

• I'm not sure about that, Amadi-Holloway has plenty of attributes but he never seemed quite as good as he should be at being a target man.

• Oh, Chris, I thought he was streets ahead of anyone else in that respect apart from Paul Hayes.

• Ugwu, Hayes and possibly Thompson better I think.

• Ugwu can put himself about alright but really not very good at holding the ball up.