Skip to content

Goals

Given that we have hit our points total and the manager wants the team to play with freedom and we can't score for toffee, how about this? Play McCarthy at centre back and put Pierre up front for a game, can't be worse than every other permutation we've tried, just a thought.

Comments

• Interesting thought. Or, given that he is our leading scorer already, how about playing Harry as an out and out striker?

• Play them both up front.

• Anyone who witnessed the 'Andy Kerr Experiment' might have some views on this.

• Or likewise Tony Adams' attempt to turn Roger Johnson into a striker.

• Welling Utd away, Kelman dropped Westy, It was the same night as Terry Butcher's blood stained shirt heroics.

• Didn't Paul Hyde play up front once

• How about sticking by the recent GK and defence, playing Bean and McGinn in the midfield - one to break things up and win the ball; the other to pass it (on the ground, whenever possible) forward - with Hayes and Sellars central up front and Harriman and Sellers pushed right up as attacking wide men in a 4-2-4, which could morph to 4-4-2 when needed for defensive purposes? Would leave things a bit narrow midfield, but I would expect that attacking front four to score a few against York City.

• @Morris_Ital yes, Paul Hyde did indeed play up front in a Berks and Bucks match. Was it Flackwell Heath? (we lost)

• I still think it's our creativeness wherever we pick up the ball, regardless who's upfront. But Yes, I would love to see Pierre used as a forward if we are going to continue to hoof it uptop.

• Thanks @eric_plant for remembering.

• edited April 2016

This is one of those terrible ideas best left to the more experimental Football Manager 16 players.

I'd rather Ainsworth put the number 10 shirt back on instead of Pierre up front. Ludicrous.

• Not sure AP is suited to the front...but surely if there is any game we have to 'go for it' it is against York!

• @bill_stickers said:
    This is one of those terrible ideas best left to the more experimental Football Manager 16 players.

I'd rather Ainsworth put the number 10 shirt back on instead of Pierre up front. Ludicrous.

Your next idea for goals please?

• @perfidious_albion I'd say we need to focus on the way we pass the ball out to the strikers, rather than playing Pierre up front. Horribly orthodox I know.

We have nothing to lose trying to play something a little more tippy-tappy for the next few games, because the hoof ball isn't working. It's an issue of supply, not striker quality. Thommo and Hayes are easily good enough for this level.

• There were a number of occasions on Saturday, first half particularly, when Hayes was in the left back position covering for Jombati, who had either run forward and left a space or gone AWOL from his (admittedly not usual) position. Hayes won't score many from there.

• Hayes needs to be aware that he is not helping the team by being all things to all. He gets in the way at the back and is rarely in a position to help up front now.
    His current play remind me quite alot of the kick and rush stuff I used to play when I was 11 years old where I just followed the ball but slightly behind where the ball was. Occasionally I was lucky but more often than not I just ran around with no influence on the game at all.

Paul Hayes is better than that.

• the players must believe in what GA is preaching or they would just down tools.

• That's a little unkind to Anthony Stewart @rmjlondon.

• Boom boom.