Skip to content

The Opposition View - Notts County

2»

Comments

• the fans like the fact we win more than we lose, lets not forget Peter Taylor and Gary Waddock achieved more than GA as they both took us to promotion and had Martin Kuhl not given Scott Donnelly a slap Waddock could still be here. MK going was GW downfall.

• I think that's a myth.

• Peter Taylor! Who can forget how disliked his style of football was. It was really death by watching football. The least joyful promotion in the history of football.

And Waddock, didn't he take us down at least once, (maybe twice I forget).

Both of who I can quite easily say had a much bigger budget than what Gaz is working with,

• Peter Taylor football was no worse than what we play now ........ Grindball is the most polite way to put it and its effective.

• The difference here is that Peter Taylor had proportionally a much bigger wage budget than Gareth.

• Peter Taylor football was worse than we play now. I remember games with one off-target shot being our sole highlight.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Peter Taylor football was no worse than what we play now ........ Grindball is the most polite way to put it and its effective.

Oh it was. It was soulless. There are problems with how we play but there is a lot of heart that shines through. (- several points though for the gamesmanship. But still nowhere near as bad at PT

• My memory of football under Peter Taylor, particularly the second half of the season leading up to promotion, is that it was rather less entertaining to watch than what we are seeing at the moment.

• The football under Peter Taylor was bloody awful. And considerably worse than the current style.

• we played zero football v mansfield in the 1st half and same on monday at notts, it was painful to watch.

• It was no worse than the last few games I've seen, and I'd say the Cambridge game in particular is a very strong candidate for worst Wycombe have I have ever seen. And I've seen a few

• When Peter Taylor was appointed I remember a Charlton supporting friend (poor guy!) saying how highly analytical and defensive he was and that we could look forward to plenty of boring one nils.

• Cambridge game was the worst game Ive seen since the Alan Smith era.

• @DevC said:
    So four points from two matches over Easter, a return to the playoff places raising the very real possibility of a return to Wembley for the second successive year. Way above my expectations walking to Plainmoor less than two years ago.

I wonder what my thoughts would be if I was Gareth Ainsworth. Despite very low relative budgets (unless you believe the magic money pot fantacists) he has fashioned remarkable success over the last two seasons. He must know in his heart with key parts of that team ageing or moving upwards and the team possibly breaking up, it will be very hard to repeat again next season. The fans are already moaning, what would they be like if the team were languishing in the bottom third, how much understanding would he and the club be given. Must be sorely tempting to think that he might be better off looking for alternative jobs in the summer.

Out of interest, if GA was to leave, who would you suggest should take over.

SPOT ON!

• GA wouldn't read this forum, he is single minded and stubborn and wouldn't care what anybody says, Andrew Howard is the only one who he listens too I believe.

• I bet he listens to a bit of the Doors every now and again.

• And his wife, or at least he pretends to!

• what his his wife got to do with WWFC ?? Perhaps she is the one telling him to pick Ugwu perhaps he should consider a divorce !!

• @mooneyman said:
    And his wife, or at least he pretends to!

Feargal Sharkey once told me that Ainsworth never listens to his father either...

• I'd say the home defeat to Newport this season was much worse than our performance against Cambridge. That one really was woeful.

• Talking of worst performances, the visit of Wimbledon on Saturday brings back some awful memories of home games against them in recent times - the 125th anniversary match that led to Waddock's sacking, and the 0-3 defeat the following season. Can anyone remember worse home performances than those two? (possibly the 0-6 against Huddersfield, but at least we had the excuse that we were up against a very good team that day).