Skip to content

we have signed another striker ..........

Comments

• Had Fred O played league footie before he arrived last season? Made an instant impact

• we have 4 strikers, we don't need cover. we are not a club who has 5 strikers on the books.

• I think he had played 1 game against us in the Carling Cup when he came on as sub.

• I defer to the wise heads of @Fit2drop and @Ciderk1d here - but let's not forget, McCarthy, Mawson, Pierre and Rowe had only really played U21 football before their loans here and they fitted in pretty well from day one. Maybe a fast player like Sellars will be able to handle League 2 better than Liburd, who's been getting closed down quite quickly.

I tend to agree with @rmjlondon here - on paper he's the most senior U21 we've had apart from McCartney. Someone who scored on his debut for the Villa first team. I expect him to start - and if we're going to build a relationship with the Villa reserves similar to we have with Brentford, I expect part of the deal is we do blood him in properly to see if he's capable of making the step up to Championship football next season.

I also think he's every chance of combining well with probably Liburd, maybe Ugwu, tomorrow in a 442. I think we'll see Allsopp - McCartney, Stewart, Pierre, Jacobson - Harriman, O'Nien, Bloomfield, Wood - Sellars, Liburd.

• We clearly are a club with five strikers on our books because we have five strikers on our books. Six if you include Kretch.

Getting tired now.

• Isn't Liburd's loan only for one month? This signing would suggest that Sellars is considered a better option for the remainder of the season than an extension of Liburd's loan would be. Or that maybe an extension for Liburd was never going to happen in any case, so another striker coming in was always the intention.

• who says we won't extend Liburd ?? I doubt Reading will be needing him back.

• edited March 2016

Max will never be a centre forward while GA has a hole in his ars*

• also if were only aiming for 61 point and plays offs is not on our agenda then why sign anybody, we won't be going down or up so why do we need COVER just carry on with the players we have until the end of the season, even if it means having 2 subs it wouldn't matter, yes people will say whats the point in watching but if were cutting our cloth accordingly then we wouldn't be bringing anybody in unless he is free and we have agreed to play him.

• I think that's a fundamental misunderstanding of the 61 point target.

Of course everyone at the club will be trying to get us into the playoffs, and would love us to get promotion. They shouldn't be at the club if they aren't. The 61 point target means we have had a good season if we reach it, which I happen to agree with. But it doesn't mean that 61 points is all we are looking to get.

• I watch every game and listen to everything GA says, he isn't interested in anything but the target unless your saying he is lying to supporters, once we get to 61 then he will review it, at this rate it will take us 4 more games to reach it

• @rmjlondon for the simple reason that once we've hit the 61-pt target, it's time for the club to experiment. As you know, I think the club is going to jettison a lot of it's higher-paid players out of contract over the summer, and in their place recruit lots of young, unproven talent, mostly made up of players released from development squads and season-long loans where the parent club picks up much of the wage bill. I imagine there will be more willingness for the rest of the season to try playing a younger team and see how it fairs. If it's a disaster then maybe Hayes, Wood and Bloomfield are more likely to be offered terms to stay on. If however we can play a high-tempo game and score goals with the likes of Sellars and Liburd on the pitch, that will give the club more confidence in that recruitment policy. And if we fail to reach the play offs under that system, well it was never part of the five year plan anyway.

It would be interesting to field - allowing for injuries - the following and see how it fairs: Allsopp, McCarthy, Stewart, Pierre, Jacobson, Harriman, O'Nien, Rowe, Sellers, Sellars, Liburd / Ugwu. The GPS trackers would probably explode from over-work with that line-up!

• Thommo is on decent money, or he wouldn't have come south for the first time in his career, and he is gonna be here next season.

• @rmjlondon said:
    I would be very surprised if he is only sub. yes we won't be putting pressure on him but we need somebody who is willing to run the channels and get in behind the opposition, we have been crying out for somebody of this ilk for along time.

I would like to see him start tbfh, give Jerrell's the first half and see what he can do.

• I agree, play the lad he can't be worse that ugwu who Im sad to say is a donkey !

• Now now @rmjlondon. Just when I thought your posts were becoming more considered and nuanced you revert to slagging off! As the old song goes (dating back to a kinder, more gentle era), "if you can't say anything real nice, please don't talk at all, that's my advice".

• @rmjlondon said:
    I agree, play the lad he can't be worse that ugwu who Im sad to say is a donkey !

Gozi was man of the match at Stanley, playing as a target but not like a donkey

• be careful @rmjlondon your richmayes is showing...

• Just awful. Hope he scores so you can eat your words and you will be the donkey.

• he is a conference south player, my opinion but he is very poor and has scored 2 goals from 1 yard out. and never looked like scoring otherwise.

• So that's Banton,ugwu,Holloway you've slagged out I guess the new lad will be your next target ay. I'll give it a week.

• @scarlet AAH is a good player with a lousy attitude, Banton the same applies. Ugwu is poor technically and won't score goals sadly which is why he is at WWFC.
    We are doing well in a poor league again this year which is born out by some of the games we have played, Northampton were not better than us, Ricky Holmes was the difference and I would dare say if we had said Holmes we would be in the Top 3.

• Where exactly is a "conference south" player. Is there some sort of underground apartheid system that prevents players of that level playing say in the Conference North. Is the Conference North so much better than its southerly cousin that Conference South players can only play in the North in their wildest dreams. Or is it in fact the other way around and are conference south fan forums full of dickheads opining that this seasons victim of fan hatred is "Conference North at best".

• He is a Level 2 of the non league pyramid player, Sorry !!

• Conference South players play better on dry pitches in warm weather, Conference North players thrive in snowy conditions. Ugwu clearly is not accustomed to snow or he would be more than capable up North.

• I think today probably showed that Sellers is heading nowhere but the release queue, simply not good enough, an "average" season Wood has loads on him.

But Sellars, if we can get him the ball to feet looks to have some good ability.
    Pump it high and awkward, and he'll be next to useless, but on the floor in space, a lot of ability, unlucky to score today,

• @DevC strange you seem to take such a furious exception to the mention of Conference south! Hilariously so.

We're in the south, and he's under Conference level...so it's easiest to just say "conference south" level.

• @ malone. I disagree on Ryan sellers. I thought he did okay, looked positive and wanted to take the right back on multiple times. First cross was skied but delivery after that was decent and one in particular nearly resulted in a clear cut chance. The boy nerds a run of games before you can make statements saying he can't cut the mustard

• @mac899 said:
    @ malone. I disagree on Ryan sellers. I thought he did okay, looked positive and wanted to take the right back on multiple times.

Same here "disagree", Sellers hasn't played more than 15 minutes in a game and hasn't managed any serious game time for how long, c'mon be fair to the lad.

I'm more than happy that Ainsworth took the indecision of Wood's possible injury to bring Seller's on in his preferred position.

I thought he had a good game and did enough to secure that position and that shirt for our next game.