Skip to content

Comments

• edited March 2016

Doesn't look like we'll be seeing Balanta.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/Boss-tells-Balanta-to-work-harder-or-face-exit-from-Carlisle-Utd-c76d55f0-bac6-4c01-ba0a-0d7ac538e89d-ds

Sounds like a familiar story... we aren't the only ones with players that aren't easily 'Wycombised'.

• We seem to be something of a bogey club to Carlisle. Only beaten us once in previous 10 encounters. Hope springs eternal.......
    Incidentally, I was 24 hours ahead of myself yesterday evening when I said this time next week we could have hit our target (61 points) and be relaxing into our last 7 games.

• Will be interesting to see if GA changes the team from the starting 11 on Wednesday night
    I am not aware of any injuries, so would start with Liburd.

• Liburn: I had high hopes when he arrived however, 90 mins game 1. 70 mins game2, 55 mins game 3. I would suggest given the contrast between his performance at Accrington and his replacement would suggest that Gozi starts, he was a revelation on Wednesday night.

• GA has a selection dilemma. They both need goals to boost their confidence.
    Can Gozi reproduce Wednesday 's form? , whereas Liburn has been a prolific scorer in lower league football.

• What about playing them together and resting the old guard?

• It's a nice dilemma to have....I think Liburd will start to bang them in once he gets a couple and Gozi seems invigorated as we come to the end of the season.

• I'd also like to see Liburd and Ugwu play together up front, in a 442 with Harriman and Wood or Sellers on the wings. Swap with Thompson and Hayes after 60 mins if going badly.

• It's very unusual for Gareth to make an early substitution, so i imagine he was about as impressed as the 3 counties commentary team were with liburd's performance against Accy.
    His lack of aggression and ariel ability will not bode well for our 'direct' style of football.

• Taking Liburd on loan has been the impetus that Ugwu needed, as until now he has not deserved a stating position in the team
    Should GA start with Hayes, Thommo and Ugwu up front?

• I'd start Hayes, Thompson and Ugwu. It worked well at Accrington.

I'm not sure that Liburd's arrival has anything to do with Ugwu's change in form? It seems more likely to be a coincidence. And that's even if we accept that there has been a distinct change in Ugwu's form - he's always been a trier and a physical presence, in some games that kind of thing comes off and in some it doesn't.

• In all of this it is only fair to point out that Rowan Liburd had been struggling all last week with a knee problem and needed a late fitness test on Saturday.

• Seems Liburd is falling foul of the black and white judgement that seems to be the only options judging players. He was brilliant when he joined and now he's not.
    From what I've seen so far he'll do ok for us and will only get better with more game time and better fitness.

• No-one has criticised Liburd in the entire thread, so I'm not sure where you've got that from.

• H e just needs to get his first goal to give him some confidence, at least he's getting in positions to have a crack at goal.

• In my opinion we have to play and back Ugwu.
    He is our player - far better long term investment for the club.
    He can upset defenders with his physical game.
    GA must ensure though that his aggression is controlled in games.

• Would rest the Hayes and Thommo and bring on @ 70minute mark if required. Lets see the youngons on from the start together.

• @Chris said:
    No-one has criticised Liburd in the entire thread, so I'm not sure where you've got that from.

Well that depends on how literal you want it. There was a fair bit of implied criticism in there! From what I've seen I think he'll do well. His positioning and reading of the game looks good to me. Asking s lot for an inexperienced lad to shine every game (look at the young lad at Man U for example)

• Too early to get too negative about Liburd I agree, but from the little I've seen of him he's not actually very dominant at all in the air. I presumed he'd be smashing people all over the shop.

• I think it would have to be fairly literal criticism to fit into the idea that everything is black and white with no shades of grey. Liburd remains an exciting if raw prospect but after Ugwu's performance on Wednesday I'd rather have him in the team. And Hayes and Thompson if fit.

• Lisburd had a poor game Wednesday so would expect the impressive ugwu to start

• "the impressive Ugwu" said with no sense of irony

• Wycombe fans love the maligned player. He' s utterly useless so let's adopt him as some kind of hero. Gozie Ugwu epitomises our ambition. 61 points, as if it represents some sort of ambition. Forever haunted by the failure of 2013/14. My kingdom for a sausage roll and a cup of tea.

Is there a bigger masochist than @drcongo

• Sorry @DJTaylor - you seem to me to be talking gibberish.

• He most definitely wasn't useless on Wednesday night, Mr Taylor.

• Every dog has his day. This is a joke Chris, before you start labelling me disrespectful again.

• A better way of signposting a joke is to make it funny :)

• Welcome back Che/Benny/ @DJTaylor. Your unnervingly cheery nature and the incessantly positive tone of your posts never fails to give away who you are, whatever your current chosen nom de plume is.
    I'd suggest your view of Ugwu is stubbornly (surely not!) blinkered by either his first handful of appearances when he was still finding his feet, or the fact he played for Yeovil last year - we know how much you love them.
    And what should our ambition be? Why shouldn't safety be an ambition whilst we are still dragging ourselves out of the financial abyss that we so nearly sank to the bottom of a couple of years ago?