Skip to content

Comments

• I remember it very well, Maskell had a nightmare!

• Fascinating to read the colourful prose in Mike Whitesman's report. He went on to write for a leading UK Sports magazine and, after moving to Adelaide in the early '70s, wrote a couple of well-received science fiction books.

• Not just any old game, the second home Amateur Cup quarter final in a series of three as Wycombe attempted to reach Wembley for the first time since 1957, the holy grail for the club at that time.
    We lost at home to St Albans 2-0 the previous year in front of 9,500, lost to Skelmersdale and eventually progressed the following year at the expense of Hayes 1-0.
    The Wycombe public had obviously lost their enthusiasm though as only just over 5,000 attended that match and we lost the semi final to Hendon at Griffin Park in front of 9.000.
    For manager Brian Lee it must have been a bitter pill to swallow as having won everything else in the Amateur game he never managed to take Wycombe to a Wembley final.
    An injury to Larry Pritchard in the third round tie at Walton, watched by over 5,000, probably cost Wycombe the cup that year as the influential midfielder missed the remainder of the cup run.

• I don't remember the Skelmersdale match but the semi final against Hendon at Brentford is etched in my mind. Travelling with my brother and father to the game the car windscreen was broken by a stone thrown up from the road - the A4 around Heathrow was being rebuilt. We had to finish the journey there and back without a windscreen. It wasn't much fun all round that day.

• @marlowwanderer The game against Walton was one of the best atmospheres ever, around 3,000 Wycombe fans packed under the shed along one side of the ground, singing John Delaney's name even after he missed a penalty. In contrast, the FA Cup qualifying game at the same ground the following season was an ugly affair, marred by crowd trouble (my programme splashed with blood as testament), and the team losing 1-0 to a very early goal.