Skip to content

Joe Jacobson defending....

Comments

• edited March 2016

JJ is pure class. Wouldn't swap him for any of the leftbacks in my time watching, Bell, Vinny, Woodman, Dunne etc.

I don't think Ainsworth could believe we were able to get him.

But in times where we're not doing great, fans seem to like to try and pick holes in everything.
    We've done the Bean/Bloomfield combo, then Wood was getting all the flak, and then it moved to Hayes, and now JJ. Pierre next?

• JJ thumbs up.

• As I recall some previous posts - I think Thompson has already been called a waste of space...and apparently Harriman has 'done nothing' since he signed his contract. Two of the players that have added the most to our (admittedly small) goal count - so there's plenty of contestants for goat scaping.

• Wood is the goat this year isn't he?

• He was...but it's all gone quiet over there.

• There's a world of difference between criticising Joe Jacobson and Sam Wood. The former has played consistently well since he's been at the club - as the vast majority of posters recognise. The latter has played well, even when out of position, up until this season, when he's had a torrid time. One goal, two assists is not good enough for someone who's been virtually ever-present on the left wing. No one has criticised Wood's commitment or desire this year but, given the total sum of that effort, it's perfectly justified to express an opinion that the team would be better served with someone else taking his place.

• Familiarity breeds contempt, so the old saying goes.

Last season I don't think we could believe some of the players we'd brought in. Now that's all worn off a fair chunk and we're settling for reality, an outside chance at scuffling 7th.

As someone mentioned Harriman above though, it is a little worrying he seems to have gone from THE attacking key player, to being started In roles he can barely affect the attack at all.

• Absolutely full of the proverbial as usual, fickle supporters!

JJ at this level is quality, if he had every attribute he'd be obviously playing at a higher standard. His dead ball delivery is right up there and far better than league 2. Great athlete and works well with the rest of the defence.

The only reason McCarthy and Harriman are still at AP is because of the likes of JJ and Pierre in that team.

GA has done an excellent job assembling the squad on the budget available. The missing link is a prolific goalscorer.Hayes tally of goals and the extra contributions from Mawson, Pierre, Holloway etc.

I hope Liburd is this link and Wycombe could snatch a play off place. Showed some nice touches and link up play and hopefully Hayes/Thompson will protect him enough to develop over the coming weeks.

Only concern is I thought he could have been a little more robust at the weekend, dare I say a little bit more nasty. Get the opposition defenders playing with a little more fear. Time will tell though and hopefully, the JJ haters will crawl back under the closest toilet they can find!

• Not many people don't rate Jacobson, both in this thread and from my experience in the wider Wycombe supporting population.

• Who are these "JJ" haters @mac899 ?
    A couple of people have suggested minor shortcomings but the overwhelming majority have rightly sung his praises and have said how lucky we are to have him in our team. I venture to suggest that not an iota of hatred has been expressed.

• @MBS lite the flames and stood well back. Classic message board work.

• @micra - it's the old (modern?) curse of too many football fans being unable to comprehend nuance or degrees of anything. Everything has to be the best or worst, nothing in between. Not sure if it began or grew with the advent of Talksport/606 et al. but it's reduced most football discussion sites to the level of shrieking idiocy. Luckily, for the most part, the Gasroom is an honourable exception. Possibly because a lot of us are old gits with a modicum of perspective.

• Not many football discussion sites pre-date 606.

• I disagree @Chris : There were many sites where football discussion took place pre-606, where discussions were conducted face-to-face, over a pint or two, and the immediacy of the discussions, coupled with body language, facial expressions and tone of voice, prevented the kind of misunderstandings that can arise from misinterpretation of blank text on a screen.

The practice of football-goers frequenting such sites has declined and, sadly, many have either closed down or struggle on with few visitors and less discussion. They have been replaced by sites such as this, where "discussion" occurs in the form of interchange of brief comments and responses in text form, sent from the comfort of home/work/the beach/a bus/wherever.

• @ micra.

I find it inexcusable to open a feed with a sentence that contains 'jacobson' 'defending' and 'woeful' in it.

Any true Wycombe fan should feel the same. Very poor headline on a supporters thread. Purely subjective and absolutely no need to have an objective discussion around it.

JJ has been consistently in top echelons of performance in the 2 seasons, fully committed to the cause, media friendly and deserves hero status for that freekick in the play off final alone!

• @Uncle_T said:
    I disagree Chris : There were many sites where football discussion took place pre-606, where discussions were conducted face-to-face, over a pint or two, and the immediacy of the discussions, coupled with body language, facial expressions and tone of voice, prevented the kind of misunderstandings that can arise from misinterpretation of blank text on a screen.

The practice of football-goers frequenting such sites has declined and, sadly, many have either closed down or struggle on with few visitors and less discussion. They have been replaced by sites such as this, where "discussion" occurs in the form of interchange of brief comments and responses in text form, sent from the comfort of home/work/the beach/a bus/wherever.

Absolutely spot on. We need the online equivalent of the mate who points out when you've had one too many and had best shut up and go home

• @Uncle_T I thought you were exclusively referring to websites.

I must confess I'm not old enough to know what went on in pubs before the birth of 606 in 1991.

• You're an old head on young shoulders @Chris.

• I haven't spoken to anyone on matchday or seen very much on here that has anything but support for JJ.

• @mac899 said:
    @ micra.

I find it inexcusable to open a feed with a sentence that contains 'jacobson' 'defending' and 'woeful' in it.

Any true Wycombe fan should feel the same. Very poor headline on a supporters thread. Purely subjective and absolutely no need to have an objective discussion around it.

JJ has been consistently in top echelons of performance in the 2 seasons, fully committed to the cause, media friendly and deserves hero status for that freekick in the play off final alone!

@mac899 there's one person on this thread claiming JJ isn't up to much. And about 15 saying that person's an idiot. If I was JJ reading this I'd be delighted at the backing. Stop suggesting you are his last remaining supporter at Wycombe

And let me tell you, if anyone went near editing the thread because of an opinion, all hell would break loose from the tin foil hat conspiracy club that patrol the darker reaches of this forum!

• So to conclude, JJ is arguably the best league left back we've had, he seems to love it here, and from what I've heard and seen he's a genuinely top guy who is delighted to be at a club like ours, and looks forward to a long stay before a second career in the financial side of the job market.

• You've said it all @Malone. Couldn't agree more. Time to put the thread to bed perhaps and await the inevitable inanities regarding another player. What price Max (not that I'm insinuating anything).

• My guess is it will be Liburd (not that I'm insinuating anything either...).

• ah Max, that'd get the opinions flowing. From those who say he hasn't had much of chance, to those who say he hasn't done enough when he's had the chance.

On the basis that we need a number of players to make up the squad, and that he's very unlikely to be expensive, I don't see too much reason to release him. Different situation to McClure, with his unfortunate play a few miss a few pattern,

I do wonder about Max's position though. Never a striker for me, and never a centre mid. Meaning he's that sort of luxury floaty in betweener type that we struggle to fit in.

• Can't see Max here next year.

• Stanley had done their homework on JJ most of their threat came from the nippy little 7 winger on Jors side

• JJ is great but I think we all know his main (only?) weakness is sometimes letting the winger go a little too far unchallenged. I think over the course of the season it probably costs the team about one goal, so I'd much rather have him in the team than not, as he brings a lot of quality to the side.

Burton away last season was JJ backing off + a slip. He was very lucky last night that their number 7 didn't score after he backed off for what seemed like forever, before 7 cut inside for a shot that would have been a goal 95% of the time in the Prem/Championship/L1. As it unfolded in slow motion this thread immediately came to mind.

• He's definitely the slowest and shortest of the current back four, but he knows exactly what he is doing defensively even if he can't quite match up physically.

• It should also be born in mind that Mingoia is a useful player and had a good game yesterday. I would say that most L2 left backs would have found him a handful last evening. The longer the game went on the more, I thought, JJ gained the upper hand in their duel.

• @ReadingMarginalista; I agree with you whole heartily that while JJ backs off another player should react a lot quicker and help out, get a toe in and smother the attacking threat.