Skip to content

Play off Dates

2»

Comments

• edited March 2016

or to lose to Poxford...

• Wrong thread but one thing I'd ban is the puerile reference to "Poxford".

• I'm not too keen on 'PNL'. For one I always have to think twice to realise it isn't Preston, but mainly because there isn't anything wrong with non-league football. We spent the majority of our history in non-league and (although I wasn't around to watch it) I'm proud of those days. I understand the expression is intended to skewer the pomposity of a club with delusions of grandeur, but still, non-league isn't an insult.

• It is an insult to Oxford, that's the whole point.

• @Chris - the thing with the PNL insult is that while we are rightly proud of our long non-league history, (P)oxford feel themselves above such things by dint of having been in the top flight 30 years ago. They used to sing "you'll always be non-league" at us when we first started playing them in the mid-90s, so it's a nice little dig that gets under their skin a wee bit. Living amongst them, I know it does (just the mention of Histon and Tonbridge Angels can darken their mood instantly). Even though most of their fans are very decent people they do have an air of entitlement about them as far as being a big club goes.

• Anyone else feeling that the fates are conspiring to produce a repeat of the Plymouth playoff last year. Would be a spicy occasion. The level of antipathy down here after our latest win was quite extraordinary. May need tin hats were we to knock them out again!
    God it would be sweet though.

• Can certainly vouch for their ferocious dislike for the term non league.

When we beat them in the FA cup a few years ago, I remember (quite foolishly looking back), saying to a pal walking out, "hope we get another non league team next round".

My word one chap too exception to that!