Skip to content

End of match music

I have no problem with the playing of Rockin' All Over The World following a Wycombe victory at Adams park. It's a lively, celbratory, uplifting tune that adds to the applause of the crowd to send people home feeling good about their experience at the match.

As for the Elton John piece that gets played whenever Wycombe lose, well, it may have been a mildly amusing joke - once - but to play it every time? There is much debate on this forum about low home crowds and how people can be encouraged to keep coming to games, despite the current poor run of form. I honestly don't think the club playing a song at the end of a losing game that, to me at least, seems to be conveying a "well that was rubbish wasn't it" message to the departing fans is helpful.

On more than one occasion this season I have been applauding the team for their efforts, despite them having lost, and thinking of the positives - "what if that header hadn't gone just past the post?"; "if the ref. had awarded us that penalty we would have gone on to win!" - only for Elton to come over the tannoy and encourage me to feel blue and morose and dwell on the bad result.

Encouraging fans to feel depressed at the end of a match is not going to encourage them to come to the next one.

Comments